• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I've never attended an event but recently joined Riley and am interested in learning more. Do you allow spectators to watch without having to register?

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've never attended an event but recently joined Riley and am interested in learning more. Do you allow spectators to watch without having to register?
    Spectators are fine and you don’t have to register it I would recommend you bring a gun and 150 rounds or so and go ahead and participate. Steel challenge is pretty beginner friendly and the folks are super helpful. Bring eye and ear protection either way.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @ratames

If you are a first timer a .22 pistol or rifle is easiest. You get to start from low ready, no holster or draw to worry about.

Good video, except it doesn't show the range officer (RO):

Good discussion of what it's like to be a beginner:

Here is a video of some shooters at an actual match:

I shot my first steel match with an M&P Compact .22lr pistol and my second with an M&P Shield, you don't need any special equipment.

Eye & Ear protection
    Enough magazines and ammo for your gun.
    A chamber flag if you shoot a rifle.
    An OWB holster if you shoot a centerfire pistol.
    A bag for the gun if shooting a .22lr pistol or rifle.

Let the folks running the match know it's your first time. Let the person running your group of shooters (squad) know that you are new.

They will probably let you shoot last so you can observe the other shooters and get a feel for what is needed.

No tube fed .22 rifles like the Marlin 60.

If you shoot a center fire gun that has a magazine disconnect you will need one mag that stays empty because you have to drop the hammer before holstering or bagging the gun. Suggestion: don't use a gun with a magazine safety.

For a first match shooting the gun you are most familiar with is a good idea.

Riley is a great place to shoot a match and there are plenty of friendly people there that will help you out.

There are folks who spend a lot of money on equipment and are into being the fastest.

There are also people who shoot with their carry guns to just get experience handling the gun they depend on for defense.

Best advice I got when starting out was to just go shoot.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Let the Match Director know you're new to this game. Perhaps he can add you to a short squad and you can shoot a borrowed gun ( I suggest a 10/22 with a red dot) at the end of each stage before moving on, or after the final stage before target pickup. Bring money for entry fee, pay for ammo, or both.
    RCC has a great bunch of shooters, often willing to help out newbies.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’ve never heard a person say “I’m glad I didn’t bring a gun and shoot!”

But I heard plenty say “I wish I’d have brought a gun!”

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Thanks everyone, unfortunately I got tied up with things around the house Saturday and didn't make it over. I will take a look at the video's linked here and will definitely plan to attend next time. I don't own a .22 though, I know, it's a gaping hole in my collection.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I reading down through this thread thinking, 50 degrees and sunny, heck, maybe I'll just go this weekend.

Then I realize it was this past weekend! :ugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom