• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am with. I start with 200 if it looks rough and end with 600 to 800. I haven't used True-Oil. Not familiar with it. I like BLO (boiled linseed oil) I apply let dry, 0000 steel wool between coats. I like it because you can touch it up in a few seconds.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have used Tru-Oil and I prefer sandpaper with a soft backer in curves and a hard backer near lines. This keeps the finish level. However, 0000 steel wool after the last coat finishes it off nice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used Tru Oil when I redid a 700 stock long ago. Came out fine, but didn't like using it.
    Last dozen stocks/buttstocks/forearms have been with Outers Gunslick finish.

No longer made.

I recently snagged some NOS just in case I come across a worthy project :)

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Alot depends on the wood .If it is a pores wood and open grain steel wool tends to pull the dried finish out of the pores . On that type of wood i use sandpaper .On hard maple types of wood (close grain ) I use steel wool (0000)even on the last coat then buff to a desired shine then wax-Done

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I like how BLO makes the safe smell... every so often I find an excuse to hit something with a quick coat of oil! I always use steel wool myself, never used anything else.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Steel wool. Sandpaper is for making stocks, not refinishing them. Sandpaper chews and twists the wood fibers, good steel wool will cut them and leave a finer finish. Steel wool needs to be de-oiled first, and replaced often as it dulls.

- BLO is not BLO anymore, hasn't been in a long long time. It is mostly hardeners and fake stuff. Real BLO has to be made yourself. Good stuff though.

- Walnut oil with a alkyd resin is a great final finish.

- Tru Oil gets a bad rap but it is actually a fine combination of real tung oil and natural hardeners. Sure it's Birchwood Casey, but it is far better than Fornby's.

A quality finish takes time. I just completed my wife's 10-22 which had beautiful walnut under the plastic coating. It took six weeks. Remember to raise the grain and burnish the wood before the finish starts going on, and add some oil to the wood before the finish coat.

YHJ

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thank you everyone for your input. The stock is for an M1 Garand. When the project is finished I will post before and after photos.

I'd like to see it when finished. I just finished mine. It was definitely a challenge and did not turn out as good as I would have liked. It took me several months to get the oil out of the stock just to prep it for finishing.

Then I used Gun Sav'r to finish it. It was a gloss finish, but I figured I could knock it back down to matte after I finished it. However the Gun Sav'r didn't knock down so well so it is glossier than I wanted. But it will work. At least now it won't soak me with oil seeping out of the wood at the range!

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    I'm afraid it will take some time. The job calls and, right now I am looking for the correct snapring plier for the front hand guard. CP gun show is in two weeks maybe I'll get lucky there. Midway is sold out and brownlee only has the alum. type.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm afraid it will take some time. The job calls and, right now I am looking for the correct snapring plier for the front hand guard. CP gun show is in two weeks maybe I'll get lucky there. Midway is sold out and brownlee only has the alum. type.

I won't tell you to try this because I don't want to tell someone how to do anything wrong, but I have had mine off twice and back on and my brother's off and back on once using a regular pair of snap ring pliers. They worked fine.

If you can find one, I would buy the tool.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    I have tried a few snap ring pliers. I managed to take the piece off the barrel, but not the wood hand guard. The pliers I have, and have borrowed will not spread properly. Will wait for the proper pair.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Unless it is a new piece of wood or you are repairing damage, an M1 doesn't require much more than a few refresher coats of the right oil. You can substitute artist's refined linseed oil since real BLO is not available anymore.

Check this site out. M1 Garand - The greatest single battle implement ever devised. The M1 Garand. Click the 'wood refinishing' link in the menu.

It makes me sad to see a M! all glossied up like a Weatherby.

YHJ

Top Bottom