• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    Thank you everybody for help with selecting a .22lr Bolt action Rifle. I don't' have one yet, will soon. While I wait for my rifle I want to learn about rifle optics.

I know about basic measurements(i.e. 3x9x40 means minimum enlargement is 3x maximum is 9x and the objective lens is 40mm in diameter). I want to put an optic on a .22lr rifle. I want to do this to get experience shooting a rifle with optics. I do not know how mounting an optic works with regards to moa, ring selection, important things to consider....

I have heard from one shooter that using an extremely high powered optic helped him become a better shooter. He said that with 36x he could see his heart beat and pulse through the optic. While I am not trying to go that high, I seems to me that a higher magnification could be beneficial in that regard. I was thinking a 4.5x18. But I know very little about the finer points of shooting rifles. I shoot pistols.

I have tried to do research online but all I am finding currently are links to companies that want to sell me their optics. Is there somewhere online that could explain the details of purchasing, mounting, and shooting for a newbie like myself?

Initially I will be shooting at 50-100 yards but I want to be able to shoot at 200-400 down the road. I also want to try to stay under $250 for the optic itself. Any help and education is greatly appreciated. The help I have received already from the other users on this site has made me a better shooter. Thanks again to everyone at INGO and I hope to hear from you all soon!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well, you really have several things to consider. First, are you tryin to hit a gnats eye at rest or are you trying to have a functional shot against a dangerous prey? In large part that will determine how much magnification you need.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Thank you everybody for help with selecting a .22lr Bolt action Rifle. I don't' have one yet, will soon. While I wait for my rifle I want to learn about rifle optics.

I know about basic measurements(i.e. 3x9x40 means minimum enlargement is 3x maximum is 9x and the objective lens is 40mm in diameter). I want to put an optic on a .22lr rifle. I want to do this to get experience shooting a rifle with optics. I do not know how mounting an optic works with regards to moa, ring selection, important things to consider....

I have heard from one shooter that using an extremely high powered optic helped him become a better shooter. He said that with 36x he could see his heart beat and pulse through the optic. While I am not trying to go that high, I seems to me that a higher magnification could be beneficial in that regard. I was thinking a 4.5x18. But I know very little about the finer points of shooting rifles. I shoot pistols.

I have tried to do research online but all I am finding currently are links to companies that want to sell me their optics. Is there somewhere online that could explain the details of purchasing, mounting, and shooting for a newbie like myself?

Initially I will be shooting at 50-100 yards but I want to be able to shoot at 200-400 down the road. I also want to try to stay under $250 for the optic itself. Any help and education is greatly appreciated. The help I have received already from the other users on this site has made me a better shooter. Thanks again to everyone at INGO and I hope to hear from you all soon!

PM 42769vette he is one of the best optics guys on here and is also a vortex dealer. he can get you exactly what you need for a great price.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think you meant 3-9, not 3x9.

Fixed power scopes will display powerxObjective size, like 10x40.

Variable, a range, an x, and then objective size, like 3-9x40.

First you should ask yourself if you want fixed or variable. For $250, you probably aren't going to buy much of a variable power scope and your $$$ might go further if you bought a fixed scope.

Magnification makes the target appear closer but not any clearer. Don't be addicted to more magnification; it won't necessarily help.

You will not be shooting a .22 rifle 200-400 yards without subsonic ammo, an angled base of 30+ MOA, a lot of scope adjustment, and a very precise dope chart, so I'm not sure it's wise to pick your scope based on that, either.

There are a lot of 4-12 scopes that are essentially throw aways but could get you started if you want a little more magnification.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 is excellent for $200 for a fixed power scope.

Spend the rest on rings and a base.

Mellow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Harrison County
    I went through this process a couple of weeks ago myself. First time rifle owner.
    Take any of my information as the observations of a newbie. I could be completely wrong, or Your mileage may vary TM.

I want to put an optic on a .22lr rifle. I want to do this to get experience shooting a rifle with optics. I do not know how mounting an optic works with regards to moa, ring selection, important things to consider....
    You'll need to buy a set of rings that are just high enough to fit the scope. The height of the scope from the barrel of the rifle will affect your bullet drop calculations. Also the higher the scope mount, potentially the chance for the mounts to get shifted unless you have good quality mount rings. If you are using an AR platform you may need a riser or extra high scope mount rings to get the proper eye relief since the stock on the AR platform is level with the mount rail (mines an AR with a dedicated 22lr upper). Bolt action rifles tend to have a "gooseneck" rise from the stock and may not need any extra height beyond the minimum for your eye to line up perfectly. I have learned that a 36gr 22lr sighted in for 50 yards has about a 32" drop at 200yds and as much or more drift in windage in 10mph winds, so I wouldnt plan on having much accuracy at that range.

Supposedly, the objective size affects the field of view and amount of light gathered. Amount of light gathered affects the brightness/clarity of the magnified image. I used a 40mm bushnell an noticed a fair amount of darkening at its max magnification (16x) and parallax around the edges was a real pain. I used a relatives 32mm leupold and noticed it was crystal clear with no parallax "fuzz" around the edges of the image, but there is no way I would have spent Leupold money on a 22lr scope. The point being that a good 32mm can blow a 40mm out of the water and it's smaller/lighter/less bulky.
    When sighting in at 50 I had paper rifle targets with 1" dots on a grid. At 10-14 power magnification I could see the dashes in the grid lines, I also noticed the swaying my heartbeat caused. It thought it was the coolest thing I had ever experienced. I just waited for the reticle to "snap back" to the target dot and pulled the trigger. Easy.

I agree with everyone about 42769vette. I have been lurking for quite some time and i have seen that he is very helpful on optics questions. He's the same guy who helped me and gave me a good deal on my budget-beginner scope.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    give me a call, 765-580-0986

i can teach you more about optics in a 30 minute phone call than i can typing back and forth for a month. the problems you are describing is exactly why i started my business. when i was a optics newbie i didnt know enough to wade my way threw the junk info and the good info. so i bought, sold alot of stuff as a learned my way threw it. i would hate to know how much money i wasted on products that were not as advertised, or were not what i needed for my specific purposes.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    give me a call, 765-580-0986

i can teach you more about optics in a 30 minute phone call than i can typing back and forth for a month. the problems you are describing is exactly why i started my business. when i was a optics newbie i didnt know enough to wade my way threw the junk info and the good info. so i bought, sold alot of stuff as a learned my way threw it. i would hate to know how much money i wasted on products that were not as advertised, or were not what i needed for my specific purposes.

I can confirm this. His glass-fu is strong.

Like you, I was in a similar situation a few months ago. While I wasn't new to using a scope, I was new to quality optics and the benefits they possess. I recently picked up a Vortex Crossfire II from him and I'm quite pleased. I'm still learning to get the most out of it but for the money, I don't think you can go wrong.

In the next few months, I'm picking up a Viper PST and moving the Crossfire to my 10/22. I doubt I will ever get rid of that scope! If you ever want to get together and shoot, I would be glad to meet you in New Castle (if you don't mind driving) and let you shoot my CZ 455 which currently has the Crossfire mounted.

I could possibly even meet you at your local range one day. I work in Fishers and live in Richmond so we could meet up ne morning before I have to be at work.

nineball481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Just thought I might drop my two cents worth.
    I am new to optics as well. I spent a lot of time traveling to different stores so that I could pick up and hold and look through as many scopes as I could. I first heard about Vortex scopes on this forum and started looking for them. I was very impressed with their quality to price ratio.
    I settled on a 3-9X40 vortex diamondback BDC. I paid 180.00 w/mounting rings. I am very happy with it thus far.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    For 22 shooting I always suggest something with an adjustable objective. Most 22 shooting is done at less than 100 yards and probably most less than 50. Most rifle scopes are set to be parallax free at 150 yards which can be a problem for close range shooting. Just something to keep in mind.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For 22 shooting I always suggest something with an adjustable objective. Most 22 shooting is done at less than 100 yards and probably most less than 50. Most rifle scopes are set to be parallax free at 150 yards which can be a problem for close range shooting. Just something to keep in mind.

i suggested the same thing. he went with the 4-12x50 ao/bdc crossfire2. we took it out, sighted it in, it tracked perfect out to 200 yards. we were going to go further but i ran out of harvested ground

Top Bottom