• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    If I was shooting a rifle in the woods on somone elses property, outside of city limits, and law enforcement arrived, could they confiscate my rifle if I did not posess a hunting lisence? I have a friend that invited me to some property close to his house that is owned by a church outside of city limits. He says he shoots there all the time, but I'm nervous that law enforcement could confiscate my rifle for tresspass....

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    There is no law against carrying a long gun in IN. The trespassing issue may bite you, but they'd have to get someone from the church to say that they didn't want you there, I believe, in lieu of signage.

IANAL

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Easy solution: Get permission to hunt there (in writing) and get a hunting license, and avoid the issue entirely.

License will cost you $17. That's a lot cheaper than losing your stuff. FYI: If you're taking game, they can confiscate your firearm, your vehicle, and anything else you use in the unlawful taking of game.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When you say "shooting" you mean at tin cans, right? Shooting can mean hunting.

Is your friend an agent of the church? If so, no problem, but check your county ordinances as they may have a feet limit on how far from a building you need to be.

The question always contains the answer. You aren't afraid of being in trouble for hunting, right? You are afraid that your friend does not have authority to permit you on the property, right?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In addition, and I just thought about this, if the property is where the church is located, and the church has a licensed day care or school, you could be looking at a lot bigger problem than having your rifle confiscated. Carry on school property is a felony. Do your research, get permission from people with authority to give it, and get any licenses you need. As I see it, your choice involves your backside either way: Cover it now or get it pounded later. :oldwise:

Blessings,
    Bill

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    I live in the Hamilton county area. If anyone has any private property to shoot on, I'd love to come over and do some shooting with you. I have a lifetime handgun permit, AR15 and 9mm pistol.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Personally I would get permission from the property owner before shooting, hunting, walking on their property. As a kid I never wanted to go onto other people's property without their permission and it goes double for shooting there.

AFAIK having the property owner/manager's permission to be there and do your activity it wouldn't matter if there was a daycare there.

Top Bottom