• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    Okay, decided I should shed the fear and show my ignorance. Have a Rock Island Officer's Model, considering what I can do to upgrade this gun. What kits should I get, springs and any direction or comments would be helpful. Love this sight by the way.:dunno:

ewoodworth1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    ne indianapolis
    when you decide what you want go to midwayusa.com and hunt around for parts, they are priced pretty well and have great customer service. i've put together 2 1911's using them, and they will always have my business

rcox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    Thanks, need some ideas of what all i can do, and what parts will work for this gun. Will any 1911 parts work for this. As you can tell I am a bit of a novice in this area.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Pretty much any of the 1911 officers parts will work. There are a couple (at least) different RIA officers configurations, so it really depends on what you have already and what you want out of the gun.

The toughest for me was the sights, the mil-spec sights are difficult to replace with something adequate as the front sight is a narrow tenon and those are pretty hard to come by. The rear dovetail isn't quite true spec, so quite a bit of fitting is involved.

On mine, I changed the sights, trigger and worked on the sear/hammer to get a better trigger. I also changed out the factory recoil spring with Wolff unit as the slide was battering my ejector (I also replaced the ejector!). I left the mil-spec'ish thumb safety as I liked it for CC.

Hope that helps.

rcox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    Much appreciation, that helps me get a idea of some things to start with. I was somewhat aware of the spring kit, but didn't want to buy something online without getting the appropriate parts. I've done that before. Thanks again:)

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Watch which one you order from Wolff, I ordered the wrong one at first. I think you need the one for standard factory guide rods. I ordered the 24lb spring as the factory spring that came with my RIA was mushy at best. I've not had any problems with mine not cycling correctly with it and me shooting rather lightly loaded 185gn reloads.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    1911s can require some "fitting" even on drop in parts :) I redid my full size RIA with new sites (took some work just like mospeada said) changes springs, thumb safety (required some fitting), Trigger (twice, the drop in was too lose so i bought another and fitted it), hammer, beaver tail safety (i think I have a stainless one for a commander series I'm not using), and I made some grips. There was a little more to it than I thought it was going to be but I enjoyed learning the in's and out's of the 1911 (I'm a mechanical Engineer so there you have it :) ) and think it turned out OK.
    1911NewGrips2.gif

Top Bottom