• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What do you think the little strip in 20 50 and 100 dollar bills is for??

It is possible to scan those CC but you have to be inches away. I set up rfid in warehouses and those chips I can scan from 30 feet away. Soon ever drug manufacture will have rfid on all lots of product and all shipping bottles most already do.

An idea whose time has come way before most new it existed.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What do you think the little strip in 20 50 and 100 dollar bills is for??

It is possible to scan those CC but you have to be inches away. I set up rfid in warehouses and those chips I can scan from 30 feet away. Soon ever drug manufacture will have rfid on all lots of product and all shipping bottles most already do.

An idea whose time has come way before most new it existed.
    This ^^^ you have to be pretty close to get the RFID scanners to pick those chips up.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This ^^^ you have to be pretty close to get the RFID scanners to pick those chips up.

Nope, not right.

At one time there was a couple of big box stores that was wanting to set up a RFID scanning device on the docks so as a pallet was pulled off the truck, the entire pallet would be checked within seconds. I seen a video of it, the problem was that they could not convince people to jump on board to employ it.

I do see this happening down the road within 10 years, or so.

Inventory could be taken as fast as you could ride a bike up and down the aisle's or have a over head system that sweeps a entire warehouse.

The manpower involved to do daily, weekly, EOM and yearly inventories would be drastically reduced along with the time involved.

Now to defeat the card scanners, I do believe it can be done as easy as wrapping the card in aluminum foil.

Any care to give this a try the next time they try scan instead of a swipe?

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Nope, not right.

At one time there was a couple of big box stores that was wanting to set up a RFID scanning device on the docks so as a pallet was pulled off the truck, the entire pallet would be checked within seconds. I seen a video of it, the problem was that they could not convince people to jump on board to employ it.

I do see this happening down the road within 10 years, or so.

Inventory could be taken as fast as you could ride a bike up and down the aisle's or have a over head system that sweeps a entire warehouse.

The manpower involved to do daily, weekly, EOM and yearly inventories would be drastically reduced along with the time involved.

Now to defeat the card scanners, I do believe it can be done as easy as wrapping the card in aluminum foil.

Any care to give this a try the next time they try scan instead of a swipe?
    I think you mis-understood my post. The RFID chips in your CC and passport etc are very different from those used in warehouse inventory control etc.

Those used in your passport etc require the reader to be very close to read your info. Watch the video, the guy had trouble reading a few when he directly pressed the reader up to the persons pocket/wallet. He had to move it around and press firmly a few times...

Compare that to inventory control etc where RFID can be read from 30' (maybe even more). The scanners to read those chips are big $$$. We checked into them at work for our inventory control. For a scanner that can read chips through a 6' wide threshold you're looking at a $10k investment. If you want to go out to 30' read distance it's not going to be portable (in your hand) and it's probably going to cost you $25k+

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I-Pass is a RFID tag ... and they are read from 10'+ @ 50mph ( well maybe 80mph )

When you get one its wrapped in Aluminium Foil

They have had them on Freight Trains for 15 years ... its the 10"x3" gray tag above the axels ... they are read from 6' @ 70mph

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I-Pass is a RFID tag ... and they are read from 10'+ @ 50mph ( well maybe 80mph )

When you get one its wrapped in Aluminium Foil

They have had them on Freight Trains for 15 years ... its the 10"x3" gray tag above the axels ... they are read from 6' @ 70mph
    Yes, there are different technology levels and different readers. Just because one sort of RFID can be read from 30' doesn't mean the RFID in your credit card could be read from 30'.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One good way to test this out would be to go to Walmart, wrap something with an RFID theft prevention tag in AL foil, and try to walk out with it. If the thing goes off drop it and run, if it doesn't go off then go back in return the merchandise to the shelf.

If foil works with the high-power theft protection stuff then it is sure to work with a CC etc. I'm not going to be the guinea pig. I'd like to keep my record clean, and I don't want to be banned from Walmart for life. :D I'm skeptical that foil will work, simply for the fact that things have to be grounded to act like a proper faraday cage.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    One good way to test this out would be to go to Walmart, wrap something with an RFID theft prevention tag in AL foil, and try to walk out with it. If the thing goes off drop it and run, if it doesn't go off then go back in return the merchandise to the shelf.

If foil works with the high-power theft protection stuff then it is sure to work with a CC etc. I'm not going to be the guinea pig. I'd like to keep my record clean, and I don't want to be banned from Walmart for life. :D I'm skeptical that foil will work, simply for the fact that things have to be grounded to act like a proper faraday cage.

Wrapping your CC in foil won't completely STOP it from being scanned but does help decrease the range needed from a CC to a reader before it can pick up the info.

Read this for an experiement done on this in real world environment.
    Aluminum Foil Does Not Stop RFID

So buy either wrapping it in foil or buying one of those special caes you just decrease the ability of getting your info taken. The theif would have to literally be 2" away from you with the scanner. Good place for this to occur would be crowed public transporation (subways, buses).

Otherwise just walking down the hallway in say an airport it is going to be much harder but still possible.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    ... I'm skeptical that foil will work, simply for the fact that things have to be grounded to act like a proper faraday cage.

You dont have to be grounded ... the signal is low power (microwatts) and the Foil will attenuate it so much it wont be able to be detected by the scanner

Top Bottom