Rezoning from residential to agricultural?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So I live on about 7 acres in porter county. Was wondering can I redone to agricultural? What are the qualifications and such, does it cost money, is there a reason to be one over the other?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Typically agricultural land will be taxed at a substantially lower rate than residential. I've got a 1.7 acre parcel which is zoned residential and should be agricultural. I've not yet tried to get it changed but I've been told in this county it'll be a fight.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Typically agricultural land will be taxed at a substantially lower rate than residential. I've got a 1.7 acre parcel which is zoned residential and should be agricultural. I've not yet tried to get it changed but I've been told in this county it'll be a fight.
    Your property can be zoned one way and taxed another. Most of our county is zoned agricultural. The homes in the agricultural zones are taxed at a residential rate unless the property has an agricultural use. If part of the property is used for crops or livestock that provide income for your family, it can be taxed at an ag rate. You would need to file an appeal when you get your annual assessment with the county PTABOA board and have a hearing to present your case.

Vacant property is taxed at different rates depending on the amount of "canopy cover" from trees and/or the soil types and whether or not it is tillable. Tillable is taxed higher than non-tillable. Your assessors office would be a good place to visit to get more information on this.

Zoning relates more to what your property can be used for as defined in the county zoning ordinances. Tax rates of property vary within the different zones.

Breeve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    Kouts
    So I live on about 7 acres in porter county. Was wondering can I redone to agricultural? What are the qualifications and such, does it cost money, is there a reason to be one over the other?
    We're on 3 and zoned a-1. We also keep livestock, just in case they want to change our zoning.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Your property can be zoned one way and taxed another. Most of our county is zoned agricultural. The homes in the agricultural zones are taxed at a residential rate unless the property has an agricultural use. If part of the property is used for crops or livestock that provide income for your family, it can be taxed at an ag rate. You would need to file an appeal when you get your annual assessment with the county PTABOA board and have a hearing to present your case.

Vacant property is taxed at different rates depending on the amount of "canopy cover" from trees and/or the soil types and whether or not it is tillable. Tillable is taxed higher than non-tillable. Your assessors office would be a good place to visit to get more information on this.

Zoning relates more to what your property can be used for as defined in the county zoning ordinances. Tax rates of property vary within the different zones.
    Our primary parcel is split between res and ag. The 1.7 acre parcel I was referring to is in a flood plain so I'm not allowed to build any structures on it. it has a creek running through it and is bordered on two sides by county roads. It shouldn't be zoned or taxed as residential but there was a house on it at one time and it was never changed. The county raised the road bed which turned it into a flood zone, HUD bulldozed the house after the previous owners abandoned it due to repeated flooding.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Our primary parcel is split between res and ag. The 1.7 acre parcel I was referring to is in a flood plain so I'm not allowed to build any structures on it. it has a creek running through it and is bordered on two sides by county roads. It shouldn't be zoned or taxed as residential but there was a house on it at one time and it was never changed. The county raised the road bed which turned it into a flood zone, HUD bulldozed the house after the previous owners abandoned it due to repeated flooding.
    I don't think that you are really wanting it rezoned. You are simply wanting the way it is taxed changed since it is not able to be used as residential property. That would be decided by the PTABOA. Honestly, in our county, anyone who goes in front of the PTABOA board pretty much gets their request granted if it is at all reasonable to do so.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When we purchased our house and the adjoining 2 acre lot a neighbor warned us that they'd change the zoning on the lot from ag to residential when the paperwork was turned in and they did. When I called the county they said I had to submit a document stating the intended purpose of us changing it back to ag which we did and they changed it back. Pretty simple process in my case. Yes we're out side of town and yes it was ag when we purchased it so that may have made it easier.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We had the same situation when we lived in Porter County. We purchased home which was zoned A1 when we received transfer paperwork it was zoned residential. Quick email had everything fixed in less than a week.

Top Bottom