Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The only threats around here are two-legged, so it's SD in every chamber at my house.
    Yeah. When out, I carry a pistol 15rds

I don't feel too threatened at home and when I am in for the night, revolver is in the dresser as there are other options.

I wear the revolver when WORKING outside, clearing brush, cutting trees, mowing, etc. I hardly notice it's on and it just goes bang.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Cool that leaves more for the rest of us.;)

Speculation then and now is that S&W probably would NOT have survived if they didn't play ball and implement the lock.
    As already stated pretty much all the manufactures have done things that gun owners object to.
    Boss, with Safty Hammer owning S&W at the time wasn't the locks going to get implemented anyway? Been a while but that was eluded to in the late 1990"s but don't know the accuracy of it's source

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    You would think that the new ones would have much less incidents of canted barrels considering there are a lot less of them and the modern manufacturing techniques and superior tolerances we hear of all the time.

With that said most of my Smiths are mid 1990s to mid 2000s and I am more than pleased with ALL of them , especially in regards to accuracy. This includes pre-lock , pre MIM 686s/586. MIM 629-5 and 66-5 and a 617-5 with MIM and the "Dreaded Lock."
    I agree but even with modern manufacturing techniques if a human is involved then things can and will get screwed up. Doesn't matter what the product is. Look at the automotive industry (from which I retired from) they have been doing it for over a hundred years and still have to have a service department to fix the stuff that happens.
    I'm sure S&W could make every barrel clocked correctly but is anyone willing to pay for that in a mass produced environment.
    A majority don't even realize their gun has a clocked barrel and S&W knows this so the tolerances are widened to account for this.
    A canted barrel does not hurt the shoot ability of the revolver.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Boss, with Safty Hammer owning S&W at the time wasn't the locks going to get implemented anyway? Been a while but that was eluded to in the late 1990"s but don't know the accuracy of it's source
    I don't know for sure but I know it was expensive for them to implement and don't know if it would have been a good return on the investment to just do it.
    Don't know any details on any of the sales after that but I'm pretty sure they are paying a royalty on every gun with a internal lock they sale now.
    I don't really care for the lock but it doesn't bother me either. I remove it in most of my competition guns anyway because of the cutting down of the hammer renders it non functional anyway.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    While this thread wasn't about locks on S&W revolvers some take every opportunity to thump their chest and make it about something that happened over 20 years ago. If you don't like the lock fine buy a Ruger.
    You can remove the lock if it bothers you. Yeah I've heard that if you use it in a self defense situation that will get you in trouble but I have never heard of this being actually used in court. Just alot of internet lawyers.
    How would removing a lock be any worse than carrying and using a lock equipped gun in a self defense situation and have a lawyer ask you why you were carrying a gun with a lock and you recklessly did not have it locked while you were carrying it?

It is a safe STORAGE DEVICE not a safety.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While this thread wasn't about locks on S&W revolvers some take every opportunity to thump their chest and make it about something that happened over 20 years ago. If you don't like the lock fine buy a Ruger.
    You can remove the lock if it bothers you. Yeah I've heard that if you use it in a self defense situation that will get you in trouble but I have never heard of this being actually used in court. Just alot of internet lawyers.
    How would removing a lock be any worse than carrying and using a lock equipped gun in a self defense situation and have a lawyer ask you why you were carrying a gun with a lock and you recklessly did not have it locked while you were carrying it?

It is a safe STORAGE DEVICE not a safety.
    I agree And I laugh at the "Legal issues" that people that don't know any better regurgitate. No different than taking a mag safety out of that Hi power or any of thw S&W autos. A bad shoot is what makes you get prosecuted.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Been a revolver fan since Hector was a pup. I do own a few semiautos for fun. But if could own only 1 gun, it would be my S&W 60 in 357 magnum. Yeah, I know that it only holds 5 rounds, but no "Hillary hole", easy to carry OWB (not so much IWB), and will get the job done if I ever need it to do so. Keep in mind that it is not how many rounds you can throw at the bad guy, but where you put them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree that revolvers are scarce now. My LGS had 3 used Charter Arms Snubs, 1 blued, 2 stainless steel.
    I ran to the ATM to pay cash for one, ran back, all 3 gone in 15 minutes! Shop owner gets those in and gone same day buying used models.
    K Frames, and J Frames in 38/357 same story. Barrel lengths not specified.
    Panic from White House Executive Orders are forcing gun sales nutso right now. Joker Biden has created the perfect rush since TP sales in 2020.
    Good luck in your search. I do like revolvers too.

Top Bottom