• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My youngest brother just bought a S&W model 637. I haven't shot it yet, but at first feel, I really like this gun. And I'm very tempted to get one for myself. Looking at S&W's site, I'm comparing the 637 with the 638.
    My question is, how does the hammer compare to a hammerless? Is the trigger pull the same on the hammerless when you pull the hammer back on the hammer? :n00b:

Why would you choose one over the other? I'm a noob to revolvers, so I'd like to learn.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have a 637 performance center model. Double action is very good and single action is wonderful. I have only owned revolvers with hammer spurs and would not have a spurless.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As you know one has a shrouded hammer and the other exposed.

I'm not sure how the trigger pull/feel is between the two as I have not handled/shot them but I would think they would be similar. The advantage of the 638 is less chance of a snag if pocket carrying vs the 637.

Plus, the 638 give you the option to fire it single action compared to the enclosed hammer like a 642, which is double action only.

Since I have no interest in shooting a revolver that is for self defense only in single action, the enclosed model like the 642 would be my preference.

If I ever thought I wanted to shoot in single action mode, I would go for the 637 and have a nice hammer spur to get my thumb on. Otherwise, I would bypass the 638 and look at the 642.

Opinion worth price paid.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I havnt tried the 637 or 638 but have had the model 60 and 640. The double action pull was pretty identical in actual trigger pull weight and smoothness on both of mine. In single action the model 60 was about half of double action. The 640 was hammerless, no spur to pull, and you cant pull the hammer back to single action. It is double action only being hammerless. I havnt been introduced to a hammerless single action revolver yet. If I ever am I will most definitely give you a comparison .

Hope this helps.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    They all have hammers 640,60,642,637,638, and 649. I have most of them I cannot tell a difference in the double action trigger pull. The 60,649,637, and 638 have a hammer spur that lets you shoot it single action and to me they are all the same also.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    637 = hammer
    638 = shrouded hammer
    642 = enclosed hammer

The double action pull will be the same. The advantage of the "hammerless" 642 is that it is slightly smaller and "snagless". The 638 gives you both worlds or maybe best of both worlds. The hammered 637 will give you that single action option. For that person who has weak hand strength and can't manage the double action trigger this could be a selling point.

Personally for the INGO crowd I would recommend a SW642 and a trip to BossHoss. Learn to shoot the gun double action.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Personally for the INGO crowd I would recommend a SW642 and a trip to BossHoss. Learn to shoot the gun double action.

+1. He did a 586 for me and then gave me the confidence to work my 642 myself. It smoothed up very nicely. I may try a 13lb rebound spring and see what it does. It has a 14lb in it now.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I have a 637 and two 642's (one for me and one for wife...both with crimson trace grips). Double action pull is very similar, but the enclosed hammer of a 642 allows one to shoot it from a pocket (if absolutely necessary), draw it more quickly without snagging on clothes, and I feel that in a defensive revolver, you will never use it in single action if truly needed urgently!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm not a revolver expert, just carry a j frame frequently, what do you mean by "roll check"?

Think function check, an admin action.

Upon loading the weapon, to check for high primers or malformed cases, one thumbs the hammer back slightly so the cylinder can rotate freely and then slowly rolls the cylinder in the frame (I count to 12) to ensure the weapon does not malf.

I know the hammerless stuff sells like hotcakes, but remember who is buying them and what they do not know. I prefer hammer weapons, or at least shrouded. 638 for me, not the 640. I have seen people roll check a 640 on the trigger, it is beyond my safety threshold.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If I was going to carry a J frame (and I don't know why I would, given the Sig P365), I would go with a steel frame model. Still fairly light weight, but not punishing to shoot like the Airweight models. It's true that Airweight models do fly off the shelf, and they fly right back as trade-ins quite often, due to their harsh recoil with anything other than powder puff loads. My choice for a J frame would be the 649 .357 magnum loaded with hot +P 38 or a more moderate 357 load. Most defensive encounters will probably call for double action shooting, but it doesn't hurt to have the option for a precision single action shot. The shrouded hammer ensures that it is fairly snag-free coming out of the pocket. If you don't mind getting hit in the palm of your hand with a hammer every time you pull the trigger, the equivalent Airweight (638) in 38 +P would be my choice.

649.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I was going to carry a J frame (and I don't know why I would, given the Sig P365), I would go with a steel frame model.

This is me, sorta. I have a 442 but if I could get my hands on a clean Taurus 85CH, I would buy it and sell the 442. I had one and wish I hadn't have sold it.

But like you, I really don't need it since I have a Shield. I really only bought it because, you know, everyone should own a snub nose.:)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    “I believe the roll check he is taking about is watching the revolver timing “ I may be incorrect.
    I like a small revolver with a hammer but the idea of pocket carry and firing from the pocket is kinda neat. I can see the Salvation Army check out girl asking me why I bought all the hoodies in the store for target practice and the used fire extinguisher.

Try to find an older model 60 38 special only model. The model 60 38/357 is not nearly the quality of gun the older model 60’s were. The triggers are not the same and barrels are longer on the 357 model.

a good double action trigger is a thing of beauty. I have a colt trooper III and the double action trigger on it is so consistent in stacking/break. Better in double action than the snake guns and better than any smith I have shot. I think they were mainly law enforcement guns and that trigger alone helped lots of them qualify.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I don't find a 442 or similar to be punishing but they aren't fun.

I agree they are a terrible weapon for someone to buy and throw in a purse and consider themselves armed. They will be in for a surprise if they ever need it.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I carry my 637 PC while backpacking. I place it in a Hill People Gear kit bag on my chest. The light weight pistol works great for my purpose. It is loaded with plus P ammo and it is for protection against two legged attackers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My Kimber K6S has an awesome double action trigger!psyko

I forgot about the K6S. I have tried the trigger on one of those at a gun shop. Although I prefer to have a single action option, the trigger is SO good on the Kimber that I would likely choose it over any J frame. Especially considering the 6 shot capacity vs 5 in the S&W. Cost is a factor, of course...but I'd consider the Kimber a "Buy once, cry once" thing. I don't need a snub revolver, but if I find a nice used K6S at a good price, I will snap it up. Just because.

I only have one snub now, a 1970's S&W Model 36 nickel. I never carry it, but I'll never sell it either.

Top Bottom