• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    looking for a 357revovler 3-4" barrel used or new for $400. I went to blythes and love the feel of the gp100 but it was ~$700. asked if they had a sp101 and liked look of it. it wasnt perfect but still liked it. I have held an old S&w k frame and it felt bulky. Any suggestions i should look for?

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I'd keep looking for a used Ruger...

Nothing wrong with a used GP100, Security Six or Speed Six. All Rugers are built to last. Have you considered looking on-line (Gunbroker as well as other sites) and doing a transfer? Smith and Wessons are also fine, but I found the traditional grip to be unwieldy. My old Model 19 has pachmayer (probably mispelled) grips, that make it much more comfortable.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    SP101

I have never liked the looks of Ruger's DA revolvers, like the Security Six (or whatever they call that ugly duckling) but the SP101 is a good looking gun. A buddy bought one at BGF last week.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    I have never liked the looks of Ruger's DA revolvers, like the Security Six (or whatever they call that ugly duckling) but the SP101 is a good looking gun. A buddy bought one at BGF last week.
    I seen a sp101 on another forum and loved the look. its why i started looking. i googled security six i see no problem with it
    SecuritySix2-600-4.jpg

but i dont see a gun:dunno:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My 3inch SP101 is my EDC gun. Five rounds of Federal 125 grain goodness should take care of things should I do my part. And I can. Occasionally even hit clay pigeons at the 100 yard berm with it offhand. Trigger pull is almost as good as my S&W L-frame 686. I put a Wilson spring kit in it and smoothed up all the contact points with a fine arkansas stone, then filled it with toothpaste and dry fired it over 1000 times. Rinsed out with hot soapy water, lubed well and it is the best Ruger trigger pull I have felt.

I keep two speed strips on me, one with 125 grain Federals and one with the old Winchester metal piercing rounds. I figure, should someone be wearing body armor like the theater shooter, that might just ruin his day. At least give me half a chance.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

I have a SP101 and like it a lot. I replaced the ugly factory grips with a Hogue grip and like the looks of the gun a lot better. I would really like to find the custom wood Hogue grips for it though.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I like the S&W Model 19 or 66 in 2.5" or 4" and the S&W Mod 13 or 65 in 3". Although the Rugers are good solid guns I've just never liked the look or feel of them. The S&W K Frames just seem to be made for me. I would like to try a Ruger SP101 sometime though, they aren't nearly as clunky as the older Rugers seem to me. :twocents:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Either a S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100. I have a 686 and have shot a bunch of GP 100's they are booth great. You will have to up your cost unless you find a "Going out of Marrage sale" You probably won't touch a S&W for under 550. A Ruger more probabal in the 450 plus.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you got this WC GP100 for that price you got a SWEET deal! That is on my list but I can't even find one.
    I did indeed! Was waiting on a lane at Indy Trading Post one Sunday, saw it, fondled it, went back home and saw how much they were going for online, and went back and snapped it up. It was a trade-in, but it was made in January of 2012, so close enough to brand new for me! :)

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Taurus model 66 4"

Many people bash these but even more have had no problems.

Its on my list of guns to get, Ill bet $400 Ill have no problems
    with it.

Jimmy

Top Bottom