• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I found this holster mentioned favorably on various 1911-centric forums, and since I was looking for a comfortable, concealable IWB holster for a couple 1911's that I own (and I wasn't too excited about waiting several months for a holster from some of the other makers that had caught my eye) I figured I'd email Richard at R.O. Gunleather and see if he could make something up for me.

At his website ROG Holsters GunleatherUSA gun_leather Hermann Oak Leather you can see that he doesn't offer a lot of variety, but what he offers looks beautifully constructed, using Hermann Oak leather in any color you want, so long as it's black (just like Henry Ford :). Honestly, he may offer other colors, but they aren't listed on his website as options, and I wanted black anyway, sooo....)

As you can see in the picture below, the holster is pretty much a spot on duplicate of a Milt Sparks Summer Special, which itself is a design based on an older Bruce Nelson design.

234 by rockhopper46038, on Flickr

235 by rockhopper46038, on Flickr

It doesn't incorporate the higher skin guard of the Summer Special 2, but does have the reinforced mouth, which allows for very easy one handed IWB re-holstering. The snaps are of the one-way variety, and operate very positively.

The logo is small, and to my mind very tastefully done:

236 by rockhopper46038, on Flickr

The contours of the holster closely follow those of my Government Model 1911, and there is a noticeable amount of retention through the forming around the trigger guard area.

237 by rockhopper46038, on Flickr

The holster has a sight track boned in, although I couldn't get a picture that adequately shows this.

Richard at ROG says the holsters will fit a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" belt, and I can confirm the straps fit my 1-1/2" belt just fine.

The holster rides quite low, with just about an inch or so of the mouth showing above the top of the belt, which puts it just a touch above the top edge of my trousers.

I've worn this holster a half dozen times to this point, for periods as long as 7 hours and as short as 1, and it has proven thus far to be very, very comfortable.

I would rate the concealable factor as quite high; I recently wore this holster with my Wilson CQB from about 5pm to around midnight in the company of my wife and quite a few other people in close proximity while moving pretty actively and presenting both my front and back to a large group in a very public setting, with no apparent notice by anybody. At the time I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt under an untucked button down shirt.

The details: Cost, shipped was $52.50 ($47.50 for the holster and $5 for USPS Express shipping)

Leadtime: I think I got lucky on this one; when I called Richard and specified the holster I wanted he said he had one drying that could ship in 2 days. I said "Great, I'll take it!

The next day Richard emailed me and said that he didn't like the way the holster was looking and that he was going to cut a new one for me, and that it would take him a few days to fabricate it, he could dry it over the weekend, and ship it to me the next Monday.

He was as good as his word; I got an email that Sunday saying this holster looked great and would go out on Monday. I received the holster on Thursday and wore it the next day.

Summary: I'm very happy with this holster so far, and can recommend R.O. Gunleather unreservedly as a good guy making high quality holsters for a price much lower than holsters of similar and even lesser quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom