• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky

I recently decided to try my luck at the Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my Glock 23.

The particular Lone Wolf barrel I purchased converts my stock G23 .40 S&W pistol, making it possible for me to utilize the less expensive 9mm round because I’m a cheap bastard and because the .40 caliber round is frightening to me and hurts my delicate hands.

Besides the barrel, all I had to do was procure a couple of G19 9mm magazines.

I purchased my factory Glock 9mm magazines from Beech Grove Firearms because they are cool and they deserve my business.

Lone Wolf states that their barrels are “drop-ins,” that no gunsmithing or farting around is necessary, and that even a moron like me could do it.

Fit and finish are beautiful, and Lone Wolf says their barrels are, "... manufactured from the highest grade mill select 416 stainless forgings. CNC machined and heat treated..."

Whatever THAT means...but I bet it means they are bad-ass gun barrels made out of a single billet of American-made, hard-as-hell steel and they have a laser etched wolf on them so they are evil and forbidding and will scare the crap out of one's enemies.

Maybe.

Now…I read on the intardnets that converting my factory G23 would result in multiple horrors:

-Failures to feed (FTF).

-Failures to extract (FTE).

-Brass ejecting into the shooter’s face.

-General heinous damage to the firearm.

-Conversion barrels are good for plinking, but not good enough to stake your life on them in a carry situation.

I decided to find out for myself. I am the boss of me, and nobody tells me what to do.

So there...

Today, I fired approximately 300 rounds of 9mm, and 150 rounds of .40 through my G23, alternating between barrels/calibers after firing two magazines of each caliber.

I made no changes to my G23 other than the barrels and magazines.

Here are my findings and impressions.

-No FTFs or FTEs.

-Obviously, recoil was much less “snappy” with the Lone Wolf 9mm barrel.

-Accuracy with the Lone Wolf 9mm barrel was markedly better than the stock Glock .40 barrel.

-Brass ejection was noticeably weaker with the Lone Wolf barrel. The brass did not eject half way across the range, but nor did it eject directly back into my face. It ejected up and to the right of the shooter at a total distance of about four feet…perfectly acceptable in my book.

-I could find no noticeable damage to my G23 after shooting it today. Everything looks peachy to me.

-Based on today’s performance, I would not hesitate to carry my Lone Wolf conversion barrel equipped-G23 on a daily basis.

So…for the price of the barrel and two magazines, I effectively have two reliable guns now.

Groovy.

I heartily endorse this product.

_____

Here are some jaw-dropping photos so that you, the gentle reader, can compare and contrast stuff and maybe make your own judgments.

Click on the pictures for pants-wetting clarity!

Keep in mind that the photos were taken immediately following my shooting session, and that the firearm had not been properly cleaned.

If you look closely, you will see lubricant, dirt, brass residue, and other filth.

My G23 likes it like that because she is a nasty...just the way I like it!

Top View

Bottom View

Side View With Rounds In Chambers

_____

.40 Slide Side View

9mm Slide Side View

.40 Slide Top View

9mm Slide Top View

.40 Slide Bottom View

9mm Slide Bottom View

.40 Lower Receiver

9mm Lower Receiver

_____

9mm

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_barrel_review_range_report.html#post1433752

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom