• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got a flag on a pole in my yard that stays up 24/7 with no lighting. I don't let it get tattered. When it gets bad, I replace it. I wore a uniform for 8 years in the army and the guard. If someone wants to step on my property and berate me for improper ettiquette, I'll take the flag, pole and all down never to put it back up. We shouldn't get so carried away on ettiquette that it isn't worth the hassle to display a flag.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Yep, learned to fold the flag in elementary school. Each class got a chance to put it up and take it down for a few days. Also said the Pledge every morning, sang the National Anthem at every ball game, and used to know all the verses.

I'm going to stand up for our school corporation. Every elementary child says the Pledge of Alliegence every morning. In the 3rd grade, the students learn flag ettiquette, including how to fold a flag, how to dispose of a flag, and how to present the flag. The American Legion and VFW in our area come to the schools and talk with the children.

National Symbols are a standard that is taught as early as the 1st grade and continue through each grade.

It may not be taught in every school in Indiana, but it is taught in our school.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I agree with your opinion on this Public Servant, the Flag should not be used in that manner to make a political statement.

But on the other hand, all politics aside, as a country, we are in distress.
    Then throw your flag on a rope and run it up the pole properly to show your loyalty for a great country. Educate yourself, your family and neighbors of the great difficulties this country faces. (Did you know that each person as an individual can affect the way 10 other people vote?)

Get those people out to vote...make changes...make waves for the incumbents not doing their jobs. Running Old Glory up a flag pole upside down is nothing more than politics. I find it offensive...and view it as nothing more than a dramatic stunt...not fitting of such a precious symbol. :twocents:

Like I said...the Flag has not let this country down. Don't take it out on Her.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I believe we need to teach flag etiquete, etc but there is a limit to it. Some people get naziesque about it. I used to ride with the Patriot Guard quite a bit. One guy jumped all over someone for having 2 small flags tied to his sissy bar about 6 inches apart. One was the American flag and the other the state flag I believe. He had the American flag on the wrong side and the other dude was so rude that he almost hopped on his bike and left and said to heck with the PGR.

My point is there is a difference between someone who is ignorant but means no disrespect and someone who willfully disrespects the flag. The flag Nazis are just as bad as the 670-1 Nazis in the army. Teach, don't tear them down.
    Gotta say I agree with this, with one add on. If I saw something out of line as describe to not mean any harm I might tactfully let the person know what the correct procedure is.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm 28 and remember doing this every morning. The pledge was broadcast over the PA and every class had to stand facing the flag, heart covered and recite it.

I started home schooling in the 2nd grade and traveled with my grandparents most of the time until the 6th grade. During this time I was drilled and drilled all the proper ways of everything imaginable from not pointing with your finger to how to use the silverware correctly at a dinner table. It is just amazing how many young people now have no knowledge of basic things that used to be the standard for being raised.

I still sit on my right hand at the dinner table unless I am cutting something to prevent from having my elbows on the table at a formal dinner. lol

It was pretty much the same way with me. I'll be 28 next weekend and I remember doing all that in school as well. For the first few years we even had a small prayer in the morning as well, and I remember the Gideons coming around and handing out New Testaments. I learned proper flag etiquette in boy scouts and still follow it to this day. I even say something to others if I see one not being treated right. I don't get nazish on it, but just when they are doing something totally disrespectful like in the OP. :patriot:

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Then throw your flag on a rope and run it up the pole properly to show your loyalty for a great country. Educate yourself, your family and neighbors of the great difficulties this country faces. (Did you know that each person as an individual can affect the way 10 other people vote?)

Get those people out to vote...make changes...make waves for the incumbents not doing their jobs. Running Old Glory up a flag pole upside down is nothing more than politics. I find it offensive...and view it as nothing more than a dramatic stunt...not fitting of such a precious symbol. :twocents:

Like I said...the Flag has not let this country down. Don't take it out on Her.

First off I do Properly fly my Flag right above my EGA! Second I do constantly educate myself, family, and all those who care to listen JUST to make waves for those incumbents not doing their job.

So don't presume to tell me how to Fly my flag and insinuate that I am taking it out on Her.

I stated that I agreed with you on the subject of the way the flag was displayed in the quoted post and that all that aside that we as a country ARE in distress. So where in my previous post did I say " Go ahead, Hang that flag upside-down to make a statement that we are in distress" The only thing I agreed with theweakerbrother on was that we are in distress!

:ranton:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    First off I do Properly fly my Flag right above my EGA! Second I do constantly educate myself, family, and all those who care to listen JUST to make waves for those incumbents not doing their job.

So don't presume to tell me how to Fly my flag and insinuate that I am taking it out on Her.

I stated that I agreed with you on the subject of the way the flag was displayed in the quoted post and that all that aside that we as a country ARE in distress. So where in my previous post did I say " Go ahead, Hang that flag upside-down to make a statement that we are in distress" The only thing I agreed with theweakerbrother on was that we are in distress!

:ranton:
    Throw the brakes on there big fella...it wasn't aimed towards you...just in general. Sorry if you took it that way. :cheers:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've only seen flag handling in the movies, or at a burial. Literally, never had anyone take the time to, nor been in an atmosphere where the flag would be taken care of...

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I was taught flag etiquette in Boy Scouts. Otherwise, I'd probably be wadding it up under my arm too.

Public schools don't really cover important things like that.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That rant was quite warranted IMO.

I've never been a soldier, but I do love my country and my flag and if I saw someone doing that I'd be angry.

I would have followed her inside and asked to speak to her manager...I know I'd probably look like a crazy person to some, but I don't care.

Feel free to disrespect our flag...

In another country.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    That rant was quite warranted IMO.

I've never been a soldier, but I do love my country and my flag and if I saw someone doing that I'd be angry.

I would have followed her inside and asked to speak to her manager...I know I'd probably look like a crazy person to some, but I don't care.

Feel free to disrespect our flag...

In another country.

And we will still find you!:lol2:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You learned it in school? Really? Wow, you must have been saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning too. I'm seeing a connection here, how about the rest of you?

This makes me equal parts sad and angry.

Why can't the students(and by students, I mean student's parents) that are offended by the pledge stand out in the hallway while the kids(parents) that want to respect our country recite it? It's not like the pledge takes all day.

I know, that could alienate a lot of kids, which I wouldn't want, but I just hate the fact that it is now "OK" to disrespect our country...The greatest country in the world; founded on exactly the opposite ideals taking the pledge away stands for.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sad to say America isn't America anymore. Just in the short time I've been alive (23) I've seen a drastic change. People have just lost their respect; they take all the sacrifice that’s been made for granted. I don't understand how people could show lack of respect for this great country. Every time I seen our flag I something wells up inside of me. Every time I see a man/woman in uniform I stand straighter, smile, and if opportunity allows I thank them for their sacrifice.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    :patriot:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Sad to say America isn't America anymore. Just in the short time I've been alive (23) I've seen a drastic change. People have just lost their respect; they take all the sacrifice that’s been made for granted. I don't understand how people could show lack of respect for this great country. Every time I seen our flag I something wells up inside of me. Every time I see a man/woman in uniform I stand straighter, smile, and if opportunity allows I thank them for their sacrifice.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    :patriot:

My friend, THAT will sustain you thru these hard times. Just knowing that a healthy portion of each generation has been willing to come to the aid of their country, will boost your spirits for another day.:yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom