• ...and so much more!
  • Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey all.
    After several attempts I have decided that I am not going to be able to remove the barrel nut from my ar. The forearm that I bought uses it directly but it's not straight, not even close, that's the only reason I have to remove it. So I am wondering if there is anyone who would be willing to give me a hand. I've not got the appropriate tools. Anyone willing to take on the task. Preferably looking to just drop it off with someone and pick it up the following day, all depends on your work load. All I need is the nut removed. I'll take on the reassembly. I'm on the southeast side of indy or downtown. Thanks in advance

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What kind of barrel nut you have now? A Delta ring or OD threaded style?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    factory gun? homebuilt? homebuilt by you? possible locktite was used? More heat (incase of locktite) and push harder.

Is it a regular GI nut? Are you sure the problem is the nut and not the handguards?

-rvb

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Factory gun. Rock river arms. Bought from Beech Grove firearms in August no mods done at all. Tried heating with a heat gun don't have access to anything hotter besides the oven I guess

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Factory gun. Rock river arms. Bought from Beech Grove firearms in August no mods done at all. Tried heating with a heat gun don't have access to anything hotter besides the oven I guess

push harder. I doubt it was locktited from RRA. even if you are lifting yourself off the ground that's only a couple hundred foot pounds (they go on w/ ~60, but esp if grease isn't used, they can take more to remove). tapping the end of your wrench w/ a hammer to get it broke loose may help.

left loosey (when looking at it from the muzzle end). Remove the gas tube. ;)

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You have to remove the gas tube...... Color blind wouldn't be able to find purple

?? Are you asking if I'm being sarcastic about the gas tube?? No, I'm not. Just stating what should be obvious. You have to remove the gas tube before the barrel nut will spin off.

And you cannot replace the barrel nut until you remove the gas block and muzzle device.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Sorry. I've learned that for some folks the obvious needs stated; it sometimes saves time to point those things out early. Can't assume when troubleshooting remotely....

-rvb

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Hey all.
    After several attempts I have decided that I am not going to be able to remove the barrel nut from my ar. The forearm that I bought uses it directly but it's not straight, not even close, that's the only reason I have to remove it. So I am wondering if there is anyone who would be willing to give me a hand. I've not got the appropriate tools. Anyone willing to take on the task. Preferably looking to just drop it off with someone and pick it up the following day, all depends on your work load. All I need is the nut removed. I'll take on the reassembly. I'm on the southeast side of indy or downtown. Thanks in advance

Sounds like it is cross-threaded, if so, you may need a new upper if the threads are damaged.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Use a longer lever (breaker bar) if you've already applied heat. You can also let that penetrating oil sit overnight and let it soak in real good.

If it's cross threaded from the factory, RRA should replace it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    RRA is fond of thread locker and 800b gorillas with breaker bars to "snug" up barrel & castle nuts on their rifles.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    RRA is fond of thread locker and 800b gorillas with breaker bars to "snug" up barrel & castle nuts on their rifles.

^ This has been my experience as well. The only receiver extension I've ever ruined was on a factory RRA because it was WAY over torqued and glued. And if they've used something like Rocksett (in my experiences with them, it has been Loctite), heat isn't going to help. Good luck.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I doubt it was locktited from RRA.
    -rvb

^ This has been my experience as well. The only receiver extension I've ever ruined was on a factory RRA because it was WAY over torqued and glued. And if they've used something like Rocksett (in my experiences with them, it has been Loctite), heat isn't going to help. Good luck.

I stand corrected. Last time I took a couple of RRAs apart was over 10 yrs ago. I don't recall thread locker, but a lack of grease. I don't recall really having to work at them too much more than normal, either. First to admit my memory sucks.

-rvb

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom