• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    I have a Remington Model 550 semi-auto .22 rifle that was passed down to me by my dad several years ago. My brothers and I used to shoot this gun when we were young and we always had issues with shells getting caught/pinched by the bolt during ejection. I would like to throw out the following questions to members who may have knowledge of this model or the extraction issue.

1. If anyone is familiar with this model and it's history, I would be interested in knowing if this is or was considered a quality firearm, e.g. was this model a big seller, top of the line or "everybody's gun"?

2. With regard to the shell ejections, I would like solve the issue depending on repair expense to gun value ratio. Wondering if this is due to an worn out Action Spring or Extractor parts wear, or both.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Just about the best semiauto in my opinion..Is it a 550 or a 550-1? Start by giving it a complete Hoppes bath. I have owned 5 or 6 of these through the years,and never had extraction issues.It is a simple design.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Just about the best semiauto in my opinion..Is it a 550 or a 550-1? Start by giving it a complete Hoppes bath. I have owned 5 or 6 of these through the years,and never had extraction issues.It is a simple design.

In regard to Hoppe's bath, I have a 550-1 that has cycling issues. Should fix it, but do I need to soak the whole thing in Hoppes, or something mixed with Hoppes?

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    The 550-1 has a 'floating chamber' to accomodate short, long and long rifle ammo reliably. I would soak the chamber area liberaly with the Hoppes. Let it sit for a couple hours. Clean again.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County

The 550-1 has a 'floating chamber' to accomodate short, long and long rifle ammo reliably. I would soak the chamber area liberaly with the Hoppes. Let it sit for a couple hours. Clean again.

Thanks for the comments 'traderdan'. I'm not sure about whether it's a 550 or 550-1, the barrel is only stamped with "Model 550", but as 'easy' mentioned about the 550-1, the barrel also lists short, long and long rifle. Do either of you know if that makes it a "550-1"?

I'll report back, as soon as I have a chance to "Hoppe on it" and take it for a test fire.

Top Bottom