• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure one company can end this but I did read and hear from several sources that Remington was not up and running but were working towards that.

So, it should help. But I wonder when it will really end. Ammo is scarce now at high prices. How many are like me; waiting for the prices to come down to much lower prices? If that happens, won't we get right back into a shortage when I start buying again?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not sure one company can end this but I did read and hear from several sources that Remington was not up and running but were working towards that.

So, it should help. But I wonder when it will really end. Ammo is scarce now at high prices. How many are like me; waiting for the prices to come down to much lower prices? If that happens, won't we get right back into a shortage when I start buying again?
    I believe 9mm will settle at 35 cents when the dust settles. There are thousands if not millions that want to do exactly the same as you suggest so when prices fall a little, some will jump then, pushing it back up. It will not be a smooth transition but rather fits and starts IMO...

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I believe 9mm will settle at 35 cents when the dust settles. There are thousands if not millions that want to do exactly the same as you suggest so when prices fall a little, some will jump then, pushing it back up. It will not be a smooth transition but rather fits and starts IMO...
    I think you are right. If everyone would stop buying ,it would adjust the market.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm still in this game at $0.35/round for factory ammo. I can mix that with my reloads and afford to shoot. My ceiling for factory is $0.35/round.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I think we are all finding that it is the middleman that is controling the prices, yes the manufacturers have increased prices at around 10 to 15%, Middlemenbuy in bulk so they get price breaks, then they are the ones that mark it way up, also more people are buying firearms and the market was never set up to face this type of buying!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think we are all finding that it is the middleman that is controling the prices, yes the manufacturers have increased prices at around 10 to 15%, Middlemenbuy in bulk so they get price breaks, then they are the ones that mark it way up, also more people are buying firearms and the market was never set up to face this type of buying!
    This is true as I understand it but I feel you paint the "middleman" as a negative, they are a positive in most instances.

Manufacturers typically do not work with small orders, they have relationships with distributors that order, stock, ship and bill retailers. Do you not think the cost of all that has gone up in the covid world? Do you not think they provide a valuable service?

That is like saying Ford doesn't need dealers/"middleman"...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yup. It's all about supply, demand and cost of money and operations. Smart business people don't leave money on the table.

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    This is true as I understand it but I feel you paint the "middleman" as a negative, they are a positive in most instances.

Manufacturers typically do not work with small orders, they have relationships with distributors that order, stock, ship and bill retailers. Do you not think the cost of all that has gone up in the covid world? Do you not think they provide a valuable service?

That is like saying Ford doesn't need dealers/"middleman"...

The middlemen claim they are not marking it up much either.. Somewhere there is a large markup, someone is getting rich

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The middlemen claim they are not marking it up much either.. Somewhere there is a large markup, someone is getting rich
    You do realize that all three of them are marking up the prices as the cost of doing business is going up. And if you have 20 cents or less as your benchmark, you are off target.

Manufacturers raise their prices, distributors raise theirs and the retailer raises theirs.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    These videos are stupid. There is no end to the "shortage" with 4.7 million guns sold in March and the number of new gun owners on the rise it will take years to catch up with this demand. The only answer is to raise prices to curb buying so that supply can equal demand as a higher price which will stop / slow down scalpers / hoarders / resellers / etc.

Remington has been making ammo for some time now according to a source I know.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    When I was shooting IDPA events a couple of times a month and also doing some practicing ( two years ago) I could handload for about $.09 a round and it was about a push to reload or buy new shells. In fact, I was questioned on more than one occasion about why I reloaded.

Most, if not all IDPA events, got cancelled last year due to COVID. I still have a very comfortable supply of range brass, Winchester small pistol primers, 115-147 gr bullets, and powder. I’m not sure I’ll go back to shooting IDPA which gives me pause to consider all that I have tied up in components, Dillon reloader, amd all the accessories that go with the reloading hobby.

Regardless, if I do start shooting on a regular basis again it’s comforting to know I can reload and shoot once more.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I was shooting IDPA events a couple of times a month and also doing some practicing ( two years ago) I could handload for about $.09 a round and it was about a push to reload or buy new shells. In fact, I was questioned on more than one occasion about why I reloaded.

Most, if not all IDPA events, got cancelled last year due to COVID. I still have a very comfortable supply of range brass, Winchester small pistol primers, 115-147 gr bullets, and powder. I’m not sure I’ll go back to shooting IDPA which gives me pause to consider all that I have tied up in components, Dillon reloader, amd all the accessories that go with the reloading hobby.

Regardless, if I do start shooting on a regular basis again it’s comforting to know I can reload and shoot once more.
    It's nice that you have everything you need to load. My shortfall is primers, like a lot of folks I imagine. If I don't get the 5K of primers that I did a group buy with, I won't be shooting much past May/June before I get down to a supply that I don't want to dip under.

My handloads were more than $0.09/round but I too thought about whether to buy new or load my own. And I actually in 2019 bought factory and didn't reload due to being knee deep in a home reno so time was very valuable to me.

Which turned out to be a good thing as I now have some factory rounds to keep for long term if the industry doesn't loosen up. I will shoot as long as I can reload.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I love how everyone thinks Remingtons “all the sudden” producing ammo will end the “ammo drought”, well Remington was producing ammo in 2014 and guess what...there still wasn’t ammo on the shelves!, there will still be the flippers and hoarders, it’s just that now the flippers and hoarders will buy all the Remington ammo too!

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I love how everyone thinks Remingtons “all the sudden” producing ammo will end the “ammo drought”, well Remington was producing ammo in 2014 and guess what...there still wasn’t ammo on the shelves!, there will still be the flippers and hoarders, it’s just that now the flippers and hoarders will buy all the Remington ammo too!
    I don't think anyone believe Remington ramping up production will solve the shortage. I do think it will help make a little more ammo available, but folks will snap up what they can and the shortage will continue. It didn't start overnight, and it won't end overnight.
    Personally, I'm glad I was able to stock up on reloading supplies during and after 2014. We only bought when we could find it at normal prices.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I think the good 'ole days are gone..... This Biden is going to be the greatest ruiner of the free world with one of the expenses being the American gun owner. He'll screw up farming, small business owners, China will be our go to for manufacturing..... Let's hope in 2 years we can at least put a leash on the stupidity with control of the House or Senate.
    Or brace yourself......Rural King in Fort Wayne had .223 tracer rounds for

$48.99 for 20 rounds!!!!!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It was posted here that contracts are up for the likes of RuralKing, Cabelas, etc. and new contracts will reflect price increases from prices that many here want to believe are "normal". My hope is that the new prices are high enough to keep the flippers/hoarders from buying, as that will get us closer to stability of inventory which is the precursor to stable and hopefully falling prices.

Top Bottom