• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Finally got my Remington 700 SPS Tac. it came with a Weaver 3x12 scope and bipod. Can't wait to shoot it they say it will do everything I want it to do momma say no more guns for a while and that is ok for now. Thanks to all for their information on long rifles it help in making which one to buy. This is an edit I got the 308. Now I will have to find what will shoot best in it.

Sonney

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    The 700 is an awesome rifle, I doubt you will be disappointed. I have been working on building mine up and it is an excellent shooter. What caliber did you pick up? Post ul some pics, everyone digs pics.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    ...they say it will do everything I want it to do momma say no more guns for a while and that is ok for now.

:): Haha, I give you 30 days before you find the need for more guns, and start planting the seed in your wife's mind! Here, I'll go ahead and speed things up:

Do you have a 12g Remington 870? Everyone needs one of 'em!
    Do you have a 22lr plinker? You need cheap target practice, right?
    Oh yea, you need a separate HD and SD pistol, because it might not be there when you need it...
    Uh oh, you need a 22lr pistol for practice too!
    Uh uh, yep! :yesway:

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    308 or 223? I have some pet loads for each if you reload... If your shooting beyond 200y watch how much pressure you put on the forarm. It has a habit of touching the barrel and causing your groups to string at longer distances. Eventually I ended the issues by swapping out the stock with a fiberglass stock.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Oh, for the love of Pete. Just tell him.

OP, it's a going to turn into an expensive lifelong addiction. If you do it right, though, you will be one of the most useful mo fo's on the block.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    It is a 308 I would like to shoot 3 to 400 yards need to find what is the best ammo to use. My barrel just barely touches the stock. I can get a dollar bill between the stock and the barrel with a little drag. I think I will need to get a better scope in the future. After all she said I don't need anymore guns.

Sonney

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Finally got my Remington 700 SPS Tac. it came with a Weaver 3x12 scope and bipod. Can't wait to shoot it they say it will do everything I want it to do momma say no more guns for a while and that is ok for now. Thanks to all for their information on long rifles it help in making which one to buy. This is an edit I got the 308. Now I will have to find what will shoot best in it.

Sonney

It's hard to beat a Remington 700. Great rifles!! Having said that......

:postpics:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've had my 700 (chambered in 204) for 2 months now and still haven't shot it. If it shoots as good as it looks then it should be a great shooter. Hopefully I'll get some trigger time with it within the next couple weeks.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    Oh, for the love of Pete. Just tell him.

OP, it's a going to turn into an expensive lifelong addiction. If you do it right, though, you will be one of the most useful mo fo's on the block.

Since you asked...

This is after I swapped the stock and skim bedded it to the action, replaced the trigger, bedded the scope mount and put a good optic on.

My best loads to date have been:
    175 smk seated 2.825", varget 44.5g, Winchester brass and primer. 2546fps SD=14
    168 A-Max seated 2.825, varget 45.8g, Winchester brass and primer. 2624fps SD=15
    168 berger vld seated 2.815, varget 45.8, Lapua brass and Winchester primer. 2645fps
    180smk seated at 2.825, varget 44.4g, Winchester brass and primer. 2530fps

The 155’s I have tried without pushing into the unknown were good for ~2740ish. I have used bullets as heavy and long as the 190 Berger VLD and the 12 twist has been fine down to 30 degrees at 740ASL. Accuracy was awesome at 300y where I did my testing but I wanted something a little faster and moved back to the 168-175 weight range.

Now while the velocity I get from this barreled action isn’t something that will turn heads, the accuracy is. If I told you it is now a consistent .5-.6 MOA shooter would you believe me? How about if I said that was the norm with occasional groups in the .3’s? It is. One of these days I will do a 5 groups of 5 shots just to prove it but until then you will just have to take my word for it. But this is what I pulled off this week at 900y and 1000y. One thing to note, I am a terrible wind reader, but I had almost perfect conditions this day. The wind was 10-14mph but coming straight down range at me.

900y
    003-4.jpg

Had a little gust at 600 (1/4 value)on this one which took one 168 A-Max for a little ride by the time it reached 1000y
    006-4.jpg

More on my tactical can be seen here
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iy-skim-bedding-remington-tactical-style.html

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Welcome to the 700 club. I have 2. 1 ADL and a BDL. 30-06. I put a Boyds feather weight stock on it and added a Bushnell Elite scope. It's a tack driver at 200 yards. I wish I had a longer range :-(

Top Bottom