• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Acquired a Remington 700 LTR .308 , has anyone put a muzzle break on a Rem-700? Did you experience an appreciable difference in recoil ? And is the louder sound substantial?

Threading is a non issue, I can chuck the barrel in the lathe and put any thread I need one it, so zero cost for barrel threading,

Also, considering a Digi camo paint job since during winter break I'll have some downtime

a885a374-1.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brother had a break on one of his 700's. Yes there was a noticeable difference in felt recoil, but the sound is much louder. Its a trade off I guess.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Thanks guys, I would imagine the ear muffs cancel the sound DB issue, its reversible i.e. I can use it or not
    You should be more worried about the muzzle-brake kicking up sand, dirt, & leaves more than the noise, don't forget to wear glasses when shooting with a rifle with a muzzle-brake;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i HIGHLY reccomend the VIAS muzzlebreaks. I have reccomended them to many people and have not had one person that was upset by listening to my advise. minus the extra noise, it makes a .308 feel like a hot 5.56.

Yeah

Master
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you want the most accuracy without reloading, skip the brake and shoot during the downtime, instead of paint.

If you wilt under 308 Win recoil weight beats a brake.

LLDJR

Master
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I will forgo the muzzle break, the thought came and went

Honestly, most of the time will be spent plinking, I'm not too concerned about shooting dimes at 300 yards

LLDJR

Master
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Newb ammo question, I want to pick up some budget ammo for plinking, is the Sellier and Bellot .308 Win. 147 - gr. FMJ Ammo OK for shooting paper at 100 yards or so?

I found some at a pretty go price, this is why I ask, and I don't want to do anything that might be detrimental to the new rifle as well

LLDJR

Master
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Hey, if you had it threaded for a brake, you'd be ready for a can...

Gonna skip step #1 (muzzle brake) and go to #2

gonna go to BGF this week and buy the can...

My only critera is that it has to cost less than $1000 out the door for the can, not inlcuding the stamp. :dunno:

I know nothing about supressors but I trust BGF!:yesway:

Takashi

Marksman
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    nice! I rock a flash supressor for crown protection, so maybe its something to consider >:) like an aac blackout with the 51t for qd on a suppressor...

Top Bottom