• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Ok guys and gals, I have a stock Remington 597 .22lr and I've had it for over 8 years now, It has gotten to the point where I would like too over time upgrade it and mod the little plinker to help improve it's accuracy, trigger pull and feel.

Please keep in mind I am no where near being rich or even well off and that i intend for this project to be done over time if not several year's. I have even thought about even making my own stock for it.

so if any of you folks have any idea's, tips and tricks, advice "that does not evolve buying a new rifle" or internet links. Please chime in and let me know.

It is my goal to turn the rifle in to a mid range high-precision shooter.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I've got one of these too. Bought mine since I wanted something different..... my father and brother in-law both have 10-22's. Mine was a Dicks special with the cheap-o 3-9x32 Remington (Tasco) scope with no sights. I changed the scope base to a Weaver to use better rings. I've never liked the 3/8" rail on most .22s. I put a I put a Tasco World Class 2.5-10x scope on it and polished the crap out of the trigger pieces and bolt. I also added a Volquartsen hammer that made a huge difference in the trigger pull and feel. If you haven't found it yet, check out www.Rimfirecentral.com and look at the Remington 597 subforum.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The factory barrels are very good for stock and would be the last thing I replaced. Start with a trigger and then bed the stock (a wood stock is best at this point) better scope would do you good at this point. It is also recommended to use the dovetail and not the add on rail for maximum accuracy and stability.

Mine is 100% stock and a shot a Rifleman score of 211 out of 250 on my first Appleseed.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Thanks frost. Right now My 22 has a 3 x 9 x 40 scope on it mounted to the weaver rail.
    I know that the barrel are great for stock, I was however hoping to upgrade it to a match grade fluted bull barrel for even better accuracy.

I did find the VQ site for the hammer and extractor upgrades, howver i have yet to find a stock that i'm looking for.

here's a pic of the type of stock I'm looking for.
    lay_pss2_sgs.jpg

now advisably this excat stock wouldn't fir my .22 however it is very close to what i'm looking for in a stock. but it will give you guys an idea of where i'm wanting to go with this project.

ETA: ok after several tries in photoshop i came up with the over all look that i want for my Remington 597 upgrade project.

remington.jpg

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    me

I have a beautiful super accurate 597. The only mods I know that are compatable are the extractor, trigger and hammer. I've seen absolutely no stocks available yet for it. The 597 has been discussed here many times check out the previous posts as well as rimfire central.
    I agree this is also the best info you can find for this platform. If you manage to get that stock to work post ASAP!!!!
    https://www.volquartsen.com/category/13-accessories-and-upgrades/12-remington-597
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzhOIl2OMog&noredirect=1
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-403743.html
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/other-long-gun-talk/56546-remington-597-22lr-rifle.html
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=37051

:hijack:
    I just had a molykote job done and a nice Bi-pod, I attached a Russian eye/shade relief on the optic and a nice flip cover cap,
    and polished internals, trigger pull went from 22lbs to at least 4 lol...
    Once I install the new extractor it will be perfect.
    I wont boar yas with too many range pics but here is my upgrades in view.
    mail

mail

here is a 3 inch by 2 1/2 inch trophy using solid CCI at 75- 85 yards slight cross wind.

target.jpg

Last edited:

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I have one that I just got with the heavy barrel, I did add the rail and better rings. The 3-9 scope seems clear enough for now. I got a tundra thumb hole stock for it and so far it looks good and feels great. I just put it in the stock last evening. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow.

Top Bottom