• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you can or could buy just the reciever at brownells, midway has also sold them in the past. or you could buy a custom action on a 700 footprint. usually the price on the action from brownells or midway is just as much if not more than a donor rifle from walmart.

since you brought it up you mise well fill us in on what your building

Krush1127

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    I currently own an AR in .223 and a MP 9mm I would like a rifle that can reach out a little further with more knockdown than the AR. I have also gotten in to more precision shooting recently

Krush1127

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Wow you are right on the price of the reciever from brownells. Should just get a donor and part out what I would replace

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    on the flip side, these recievers may have never had a buttscock on them so you "could" build a pistol on them.

that is if they are still truely virgin recievers.

Krush1127

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    How much is there to putting together a 700? I built my AR from the ground up how much more difficult are there?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    night and day diffrence. putting together a 700 required extensive knowlege of gunsmithing, and machining pratices. a ar build requires the ability to read and use hand tools

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to try to buy actions. I was a model 70 fan. Since I did not care about custom shop quality blueing, I just bought the cheapest one from a discount store, twisted the barrels off and stripped the parts. It was faster and cheaper. Good luck on your new rifle build.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How much is there to putting together a 700? I built my AR from the ground up how much more difficult are there?

all lathe work, you need to be able to hold tolerance while threading, boring, facing, chamering.

thats just for a barrel change. for a complete build you need to have the tools for and knowledge of

picking up and existing thread and chasing it
    machining class three threads
    indicating in parts to high tolerance
    action blueprinting jig
    and stock bedding.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    How much is there to putting together a 700?

That would all depend on your expectations.

AAC sells "drop in" 700 barrels. Some find that interesting in that they are a part of the same conglomerate as Remington Arms.

Headspace adjustment, if necessary, is performed by surface grinding the recoil lug - not a difficult or particularly expensive task.

Advanced Armament :: Remington M700/M-7 Threaded Barrel, .260, 24", Medium Contour

Advanced Armament :: Remington M700/M-7 Threaded Barrel, .260, 24", Medium Contour

Pac-Nor has been marketing a Savage style barrel nut/barrel combination for Remington barrels for several years. I've yet to read a bad review.

Custom rifle barrels for varmint hunters to serious benchrest shooters. PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com

PacNor Prefit barrel...

There is a pretty good picture of a rifle so equipped at the bottom of this page:

Mystic Precision - When Accuracy Counts

Criterion/Krieger manufactures the same type of "Rem/Age" barrel with the Savage style barrel nut. As of this moment, Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply is the only retail source.

Login

Sorry, that link requires you to register for the forum. $259 for the barrels if you don't want to register.

Bergara is also marketing them, I've yet to see one in the flesh though.

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/remington-700-rifle-barrels.html

There is a video link on that page for the swap that may be worth a look if you are interested.

If you can fall into a donor 700 for less than $400, sell off the factory fit barrel for $50-100 - it wouldn't be much different $$$ than screwing together a Savage (other than knocking the factory fit barrel off - and I'll rent you the tooling).

Last edited:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Fyi...I tried to order a 700 receiver a few months ago....they were priced at just under $400 but they were back ordered...After waiting 3 months, I gave up.:twocents:

Top Bottom