• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have recently seen a few comments about not using reloaded rounds for your concealed carry pistol. Any reason why? I was under the impression that the general consensus is that reloads are more reliable then factory loads. Any thoughts?

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    I believe it has to do with liability if someone is shot with a round manufactured by the owner. It is like modifying a firearm for conceal carry and there is an unfortunate event where someone is shot and now the question of intent is raised to a jury. It is an anti gun litigious society we live in.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The main trouble with using reloads for carry is the prosecutor will make it seem like you are some sort of killer using special, handcrafted, man-killing bullets that you have been praying for a chance to use on someone. Now that you got your chance, you want to say it was self defense, well it's only self defense if you weren't out there LOOKING for the trouble that found you. They already will be trying to paint you as a crazy persion, why give them more things to throw at you?

Read the article by Ayoob and then Google the subject for even more articles that you will want to read. This is something that any of the gun lobbies will tell you if you ask the as well. If you are a member of the GOA or JPFO or even the NRA, ask them and I am fairly sure they wi tell you the same thing, if you're a member. If not, go ahead and JOIN the GOA already. ;)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    In current situations, I will not carry my own reloads in a SD pistol. I do have some in the ammo cabinet that are capable of serving in this role, if ammo dries up entirely though. I have a decent supply of factory loaded SD ammo for just about every handgun I own, even including my hunting handguns.
    If things ever get silly enough that all my stocks are depleted, and ammo is just not available in the stores, I will risk the legal trouble to defend myself and family.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have not purchased a factory round in years and refuse to do so. I carry what I shoot and shoot what I carry. All hard cast lead for me. I know what I got and how it will perform and what it can and cannot do. When it comes to guns its all personal preferance. Dont buy into the hype of all the latests technology. Pick something you are confident with.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If things ever get silly enough that all my stocks are depleted, and ammo is just not available in the stores, I will risk the legal trouble to defend myself and family.

I agree with you here. I would go ahead and carry reloads if there weren't any other choices. Until that happens, I don't want to risk any extra BS in court should I find myself there after a self defense shooting.

I load hat I shoot, they are just lighter recoil. I have found that as long a I use the same weight bullet for practice as I carry for self defense, I shoot with the same proficiency with the gun with either load. It isn't the amount of recoil or power I feel that makes the difference, it is the amount of inertia I fight apparently so as long as both bullets have the same mass, I shoot them with equal ability out of the same gun.

Therefore, for me at least, there is no upside to carrying my reloads as it can be a liability in the courts, especially civil courts. If this is a non-issue for you then I am not arguing for you to change. What works for me works for me and YMMV. ;)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have in the past, but I dont now. I have a load that is as close to my factory SD ammo as I can get, and I try to shoot that 90% of the time so I can avoid buying new SD ammo. Unfortunately that might change some, as it is a 124 grain load, and is super sonic, and I am switching over to subsonic 147s to prepare for my suppressor. So I will either have to buy both 124s and 147s, or I will have to find a new SD round and try to match it.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As an instructor I advise against handloads. I carry only factory JHP. There is no way I would ever carry a handload for EDC for a couple reasons. 1. Even though you might get cleared criminally the Civl Lawsuit is what I don't want to give them fodder (no pun intended) and you will be sued if your in a shooting. And 2. I can't assemble anything much more effective than good quality factory options availible.

But everyone can do what they can afford to do.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As a handloader, I can't make ammunition that is any more (or less) effective than the remarkably expensive SD factory stuff. However, I CAN make it for a whole lot less money. The irony is that I may be driving a bullet of the exact same design (maybe even the same bullet) to roughly the same velocity, and yet some defense attorney will try to argue that my handloads were far more lethal than factory.

We all know that's crap, but such is the legal system, these days. The only safe call is to use ammunition that your local LEO would have in his gun. Truth be told, I don't do this. I handload ammunition that approximates what an officer in my area would carry.

I will continue to do everything I can to avoid having to shoot someone, but if it ever does happen, I will hire a good attorney and have more on my mind than the ammo I used to defend myself. The fact of the matter is you will have to do those things regardless of what ammunition was in your gun when you were forced to use it in SD.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I interpret in the court system from time to time for non-Engiish speakers. I had a short conversation with a prosecutor about being involved in a shooting while carrying reloads, and the comment was that if the shooting was justified it was justified... type of ammo used wouldn't be an issue... but... I too carry factory loads.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I use and carry reloads. They are just as, if not more, reliable and effective as factory ammo. I guess after reading some of the info presented in these post however, I will make sure that when I make a batch, I should set some aside in the event some tests should be needed huh?:dunno:

Top Bottom