• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Anybody got a favorite load worked up for the Berry RN 115 Gr plated bullets using IMR 700x powder. I am getting ready to load some using 4.2 Gr at COL 1.145. Loading info on plated bullets is a little sketchy, somewhere between Lead and FMJ

ndbbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    If it's like the old surplus 700X, it doesn't feed through a volume type powder throw worth a damn. If you do decide on a charge weight & you're using a throw, experiment/weigh, etc befor seating any bullets.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is a flake type powder, and many people claim that it feeds poorly through a conventional powder measure, but I'm wondering if this might be exaggeration, since plenty of folks use conventional measures with the likes of Unique, 2400, all the *Dot, and Bullseye, all of which are also flake powders.
    I just bought a canister of it to assemble 1000 .45 ACP rounds, and I intend to do a test run of it through my Uniflow measure to see if it's really that bad.
    I have a PACT powder dispenser, which automatically dispenses and weighs each powder charge, so I'll be able to work with this powder either way it goes.

As for what powder charge to go with, my suggestion would be to err on the side of caution and go with what's listed in the manuals for identical weight FMJ bullets, since it seems consistent that the publishers' listed charges for jacketed bullets are a bit lower than what they list for identical weight lead.
    I can tell you that I use the exact same charge in my 10mm for the Speer Gold Dot (yes, a plated bullet) as I do for the same weight conventional jacketed bullet, with no problems at all, plus excellent performance, even though my favored powder (for now) is AA#9.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I think you're going to be a little underpowered. At least that has been my experience with plated bullets.
    My lyman book says start at 3.1 and max for fmj at 4.5.

I don't load with 700x.
    But I had to increase my PB loads a little hotter than the published data for FMJ.

So so I think you've picked a good starting point, but suspect you will settle on a little more.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Wouldn't meter worth a poo through my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

For some reason, nearly all the complaints I hear about 700-X not working through powder measures mention that particular measure.
    I still have to bell the mouths of all these cases, then prime before I'll get a chance to test it out on my own.
    I still have the PACT dispenser if it doesn't work.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Wouldn't meter worth a poo through my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.
    If you remove the powder hopper from the measure and look down the hole in the measure you will see why. The way the drum is made it overhangs in places, remove the drum and using a very sharp knife or Dremel sanding drum and slowly cut away the overhang and the measure will throw 700X quite well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you remove the powder hopper from the measure and look down the hole in the measure you will see why. The way the drum is made it overhangs in places, remove the drum and using a very sharp knife or Dremel sanding drum and slowly cut away the overhang and the measure will throw 700X quite well.

Certainly an option. I just chose to use powders that meter fine and not buy any more 700x.

Since I ponied up for an 8lb jug of CFE pistol, I'm thinking that's what I'm going to be using for the near future.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Certainly an option. I just chose to use powders that meter fine and not buy any more 700x.

Since I ponied up for an 8lb jug of CFE pistol, I'm thinking that's what I'm going to be using for the near future.

I only wish that I had options for handgun loading other than 700-X lately.
    I have one canister of W296 and its twin brother H110, and an ancient canister of Unique (in a cardboard tube package with the Hercules label still on it) that doesn't have even enough remaining to load fifty of whatever.
    Necessity dictates looking for something else, and that something else at the moment is 700-X.
    btw...the measure I'll be attempting to see if it throws okay will be my old RCBS Uniflow, so my odds are way better than one of the Lee measures.
    The PACT dispsenser is just sitting there on standby.

Top Bottom