• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm about to embark on my first rifle reloading endeavor. I have been reloading and casting for pistols for years now.

The round is 7.62x54r. I chose it simply because the most accurate rifle I currently own (besides rimfire) is my accurized Mosin-Nagant 91/30. It will hold 0.8MOA with open sights at 80 yards with good surplus, and with bad surplus, I can keep it at 1.5MOA out to 100 yards.

It hits point-of-aim as I have one of my modified sights on it.

So, here's what I have:

45 pieces of Winchester brass

100 .308" Hornady BTSP 150grn (I know, and I have .310" on the way, but this is what was on hand and what the data sheet calls for, besides)

100 Federal large rifle primers

a pound of Varget (chosen because it's listed by Hodgdon for all bullet weights)

a Hodgdon loading chart

Now, here's where things get tricky. I guess I'm supposed to lube the cases. I do sometimes on pistol cases if they seem sticky; I use Fluid Film, which is lanolin-based. I can't even tell they are entering the die after applying just a bit. Can I assume this stuff will work with a tapered rifle case, as well?

How do I use these dies? Is it possible to just neck-size them after firing them in my rifle?

On the Hodgdon loading sheet, the max loads have a "c" after them. What does this mean? I don't believe I'll go much beyond the minimum charge; there's only a 3.5grn difference and I have almost too much spin for a 150grn bullet, so I want to keep things fairly slow, but still flat.

None of the cases need trimmed; they're all in spec. I think that when they do need trimmed, I'll use one of my files. I'm better with them than I am with most automated stuff and I don't mind the work.

What all do I need to know? I'm used to dealing with 20kPSI or less; now I'm looking at around double that. The Mosin-Nagant is a tough rifle and could probably take an over-charge, but not a double, so I am going to load one round at a time after priming them, and I plan to weigh each charge individually anyway, just so I know it's 100% on with the others.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. I'm not fond of the thought of a bolt through my left eye!

Thanks,

Josh

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Yes lube them, the stuff you have will work.

Make a dummy round and load it VERY long do NOT crimp the neck just let the bullet slid in it.

Chamber this round.

Now measure it. Load all new rounds .003 shorter then the dummy, this will get you .003 off thelands and it really helps with the Nagant.

You need 165gr plus the 150 are too light.

Follow the load data start low and work your way up.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yes, you can neck size only with full length dies. What I do if I don't have a neck size only die is to back out the sizing die about 3 or 4 full turns, soot a case neck and shoulder with a candle, then run it into the sizing die. I then adjust the die in a little at a time until I'm happy with how much of the neck is sized, usually where the round is a snug fit in the chamber while still holding the bullet tight enough I can't push it into the case by hand.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    "c" is a compressed charge.

I have some notes I copied from another shooter on the Mosin loads he was doing.
    .312" 174gr bullets, using 43-44 grains of Varget to get around 2500fps.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Considering those are .308 bullets, I think that it very good.

You may also try going heavy with a nice 180 or even 220 grain round nose - most of these old military cartridges were designed around them and, surprise surprise, shoot them quite well. ;)

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I'v seen ads in the shotgun news for 7.62 pulled bullets , sized to .308 and some
    not sized [still .310] You should find it under 'reloading components'...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Loaded some up myself this morning, and remembered something I do to increase case life. Works for all rimmed cartridges. When I adjust my sizing die, I set it so it that it sizes the case body and neck, but doesn't push the case shoulder back. This has the effect of changing the headspace from rim thickness to using the shoulder like on a rimless case. Doing this I went from getting 3-5 loadings per case to getting 15+ from each case. Only downside is that the rounds may chamber only in the rifle they were fireformed in, so I label the box to be used only in that rifle.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    John,

I found that the Lee full-length sizing die will actually make the case a bit long at the shoulder, such that I have to struggle to close the bolt. I can chamber each case before loading to ease this when cycling on the range.

It's not an issue after fireforming.

However, I think Lee had the same idea. It's an interesting one, and I thank you for it.

Josh

thescrambler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    That looks really good for 308 bullets?

Have you slugged you barrel to see exactly which size bullets you should be using? 310 or 311 This will also aid in achieving the best groups.

I measured some "Privi" rounds I bought the other day for cases. Those were the ones that shoot the best for me before I started reloading. They calipered out at .3105

But neck sizing and slugging your barrel will get your groups where you want them.

JT

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    That looks really good for 308 bullets?

Have you slugged you barrel to see exactly which size bullets you should be using? 310 or 311 This will also aid in achieving the best groups.

I measured some "Privi" rounds I bought the other day for cases. Those were the ones that shoot the best for me before I started reloading. They calipered out at .3105

But neck sizing and slugging your barrel will get your groups where you want them.

JT

Hello,

I think this combination is capable of outshooting me! My eyesight is somewhat poor for that range, though I may give in and dig out my glasses.

I did slug my bore and it turns in at 0.299"x0.309".

There is a guy on Youtube using 0.308" Hornady for 1000 yard shooting, and usually hits the gong. I shot him a message asking what his bore slugs at, and have yet to receive a reply... but I am curious.

Regardless, I just received 700 light ball surplus bullets, and need more brass. I have a WTT down in the loading accessories section.

Otherwise, I guess I'll just go buy Winchester metric, pull the bullets, dump the powder, and use the shells!

Thanks,

Josh

Top Bottom