Reloading newbie, questions and comparisons.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0371richwiner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    anderson IN
    I'm looking to reload 9mm,.223,and .35 rem to start with. I'm trying to decide on which reloader to get. I know most people say to start with go with a single stage. If rather not buy a single stage when I know eventually I'll be wanting the progressive. To start with I have $400 to get me going in cabelas cards. I have read and read about the lee loadmaster having so many issues with the priming system and adjusting it, but still due to the "bang for your buck" part of it it seems hard to beat due to coming with a die set, and the case feeding option is $50. The other way I'm looking at going is the hornady lock n load (not the ammo plant version). Seems like quality is up there with dilon and it has the out of the box setup fairly easy. With the ability to add the case and bullet feeder option later. Also with having the free 500 bullets adds another boost. which between the two would you choose and why, also is there anyone in the Anderson area that has one that may allow me to set in on them reloading to get a sense of the machines? Thanks in advance

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Rockchucker starter kit. You're not going to "outgrow" the press. I have several progressive presses, and still use a rock chucker at times. You need to learn how to safely reload before you start having to make sure all steps are correct at all stages with each pull. Then you just add a progressive to your setup at a later time.

IMO, starting with a progressive for a 100% Grade A Newbie is dangerous.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    I agree 100% with starting with a single stage press. I was given one to learn on and it is still what I use 20,000 rounds later. I feel I have more checks with the single stage and time is not an issue. By the time I have finished a round, I have checked and double checked what was done many times. I load 6 different calibers and all my dies are locked in and only require minor adjustments. Find a good used single stage and see if this is what you really want to do before investing in a high priced progressive that will take many rounds to recoup your investment.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have a single stage and a turret press. The single stage still get used. I think its nice to have a single stage on hand. I resize on it, then clean, uniform, and swage primer pockets before I move to the turret to reload.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I advise to start with a single stage myself, as a new reloader you will find yourself wanting to reload faster than you should on a progressive and not doing your checks . plus it is cheaper to start on a single stage. lee has some good starters for 125.00 for everything you need but dies and little odds and ends.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have been looking into reloading lately and I am leaning towards the lee classic turret setup.
    It is number LEE90304 on ebay and for just over 200 I would have everything except the dies, tumbler, and powder, primer, & bullet obviously.

I watched a few youtube videos pf the press in operation, and it looks like it is fairly simple to operate. I have yet to buy it, but likely will soon unless I see something better for what I need.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I have been looking into reloading lately and I am leaning towards the lee classic turret setup.
    It is number LEE90304 on ebay and for just over 200 I would have everything except the dies, tumbler, and powder, primer, & bullet obviously.

I watched a few youtube videos pf the press in operation, and it looks like it is fairly simple to operate. I have yet to buy it, but likely will soon unless I see something better for what I need.

Check out Kempfs if you've decided on the Classic. Good price and comes with a set of dies in your choice of calibers.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...roduct_id=630&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I agree 100% with starting with a single stage press. I was given one to learn on and it is still what I use 20,000 rounds later. I feel I have more checks with the single stage and time is not an issue. By the time I have finished a round, I have checked and double checked what was done many times. I load 6 different calibers and all my dies are locked in and only require minor adjustments. Find a good used single stage and see if this is what you really want to do before investing in a high priced progressive that will take many rounds to recoup your investment.

Double checking your work is very important as Maverick said. There is no going back and doing it over after a mistake such as a double charge of powder. Single stage presses are reliable. I got all of my reloading gear (press, scales, powder measure, and Lee hand primer) for $200. The dies can be found at gunshows for $10-$25 per set. Although .223 might be harder to find because of the demand. An "O" frame press is better than a "C" frame as it is more rigid. Hope this helps.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Before life got complicated, I had two long benches, one had 4 progressive reloading presses and several single stage tools set up for shotguns, and the other had two Dillon 550b presses, AND a single stage Redding. When you have a progressive press fully set up to make your exact ammo in bulk, you do not want to disrupt the set up to fool around with some small job. Ammo experimentation, modifying some wildcat brass, maybe reloading a 20 to 40 rounds for a hunting trip, is where a single stage really is handy.

I shot the same .45 load for years and never took the pillowcase off the progressive press for less than 500 rounds. Same with my 12 gauge press. It was conveinent to never bother the set up on those presses.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    1. :horse: Buy a single stage and learn on it first. Alternatively, you could buy a turret press and use it as a single stage to learn on before speeding up. It's how I'm doing it.
    2. Don't jump into the .223 just yet. Get used to the pistol reloading first.

0371richwiner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    anderson IN
    well after taking what you guys said i went and have been reloading on a friends single stage. it was actually very easy, then went to his dillon 650xl after loading about 500 on each i went ahead and ordered my hornady lock n load ap (non ammo plant) yesterday. thank for the insight guys

Top Bottom