Apr 3, 2008
    The rifling in the BBL it's polygon not the conventional land and grove
    the MFG. state not to use lead

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm only looking to reload .451. My local range won't allow you to fire lead bullets for some reason. Fmjs are kind of expensive. That's expensive considering they $28 per 100 the same as already loaded round box of 100.

Plated bullets are a good compromise between FMJ and cast lead. They usually cost a lot less than FMJ. But, they avoid problems of lead fouling and they look a lot like FMJ once they're loaded up.

PS - the Raniers suggested below are plated. I believe West Coast and Berry's also make plated bullets.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm only looking to reload .451. My local range won't allow you to fire lead bullets for some reason. Fmjs are kind of expensive. That's expensive considering they $28 per 100 the same as already loaded round box of 100.

Check out the Ranier Bullets at Midway. $17 per 100, $60 per 500, $115 per 1000.

Heck of a lot better than $28 per 100!!

Also google around for reloading supplies, you can find some pretty good deals.

Cast is WAY cheaper than jacketed. If cost is a big enough issue, it may be worth trying to find another range where you can shoot cast bullets.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    When I looked into this I didn't think I could save any money reloading 9mm. The components were just too expensive. Plus I don't have buckets of time right now. Since .45 is more expensive it might be different. I did find that I could save money on .44 magnum, but I don't shoot enough to justify it at this point (and Georgia Arms sells lead ammo for $41-45/100 which ain't too bad). I'm saving all my .44 magnum brass in case I ever start reloading, but for now I just didn't see enough savings to justify it.

:dunno:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I am interested also and Dont have a place to put a reloading bench so I may go with the handloader.

If someone is looking to get some primers/brass/bullets/powder, I would like to go in on it.

Also most of the brass I have is dented due to my Colt kicking it, is this a problem? or will the resizing die fix this?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    When I looked into this I didn't think I could save any money reloading 9mm. The components were just too expensive. Plus I don't have buckets of time right now. Since .45 is more expensive it might be different. I did find that I could save money on .44 magnum, but I don't shoot enough to justify it at this point (and Georgia Arms sells lead ammo for $41-45/100 which ain't too bad). I'm saving all my .44 magnum brass in case I ever start reloading, but for now I just didn't see enough savings to justify it.

:dunno:

I can save money reloading 9mm, which is the hardest one to save money on.

My reloads, using cast bullets, are costing me $5.60 per 50. I can reload using jacketed as cheap as $6.60 per 50. Even on sale, you can't get cheapo practice ammo for that. I can reload 124 grain Remington JHPs for $7.80 per 50. That's about the cost of the cheapo FMJ practice ammo, IF you can find it on a good sale. WWB from Walmart is still about $10 per 50. The difference, though, is that my ammo is on par with the premium home defense ammo that costs a buck a shot. So, for the price of the cheapest of crap ammo, or less, I get ammo that is as reliable, consistent, and accurate as premium ammo that costs $20-$25 per 20.

So, you can certainly save money on 9mm, just not as much as with other calibers. It is currently the cheapest of centerfire pistol ammo by a sizeable margin. The savings on other calibers is MUCH bigger. I save anywhere from $7-$12 per box on .38 Special ammo. When you consider that when we are employeed and shooting regularly, my wife and I go through 16-20 boxes per month between the two of us. That's a savings of $40-$80 a month even with the 9mm. IOW, enough to pay for a brick or two of .22 ammo, targets, staples, tape, etc.

Now, the time issue is something else that needs to be addressed. For us, reloading is as fun and satisfying as the shooting itself. We really enjoy seeing ammo we made ourselves perform as well as the best the factories can produce. So, we would reload even if we had the money to buy all the factory ammo we want. If one is just looking to save money and doesn't particularly enjoy the process, then factory ammo is the way to go. If you can afford it and still do the amount of shooting you want.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Keep in mind that if you're using a Glock...don't use un-jacketed lead projectiles.

-J-

This statement applies to factory barrels. If you are using an aftermarket barrel this is not an issue. They aren't that expensive, so depending on how much you shoot it may be cheaper to buy a lead friendly barrel and shoot exclusively lead projectiles. YMMV.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    This statement applies to factory barrels. If you are using an aftermarket barrel this is not an issue. They aren't that expensive, so depending on how much you shoot it may be cheaper to buy a lead friendly barrel and shoot exclusively lead projectiles. YMMV.

And it also only really applies to lead that is not lubed correctly or is too soft. Many, myself included, have put thousands of rounds through a Glock with lead bullets. The KaBooms are almost always an issue with too high of pressure caused by over/double charges. A leaded barrel just exacerbates the issue. For a given bullet batch, just periodically check for leading. Or go the safe route and shoot FMJ or get a rifled barrel.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    And it also only really applies to lead that is not lubed correctly or is too soft. Many, myself included, have put thousands of rounds through a Glock with lead bullets.

+1
    No problems with lead in stock Glock barrels here.
    Lately I've been buying bullets from SnS casting - they're super hard and there is almost no leading. I shoot them confidently in Glocks.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    While it's no reloading the cheapest .45 ammo I have seen (reloaded) is from here: http://www.precisioncartridge.com/

There are based out of Portage, IN and local-pickup is possible.

230 Gr FMJ 1000 Rounds = $260.12 = 278.33 w/ 7% tax or .28 cents each
    230 Gr JHP 1000 Rounds = $294.50 = 315.11 w/ 7% tax or .32 cents each

PIRCE INFO SOURCE
    Have not found anything cheaper than that to buy.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you don't tumble your brass you will ruin your dies. IMO a tumbler is a must-have.

If you just want to try this out, you can tumble your brass in your clothes dryer. Put the brass and media in a suitable bag, and turn the dryer on the "air" setting.

Works well in a pinch.

Top Bottom