• Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I think I do!
    eek.gif

I decided to start reloading in January of this year. I bought my first piece of reloading equip. on 1/14/15, this is what I've acquired so far.

RCBS Reloader Special kit:
    -- RS-5 single stage press
    -- Chamfer/debur tool
    -- 6" caliper
    -- Hand priming tool
    -- Locking rings
    -- Digital scale
    -- Uniflow powder measure & stand
    -- Universal case block
    -- case lube
    RCBS bullet puller (w/ 9mm, .45, .223 collets)
    L.E Wilson case gauges (9mm, .45, .223)
    RCBS case lube kit
    Frankford Arsenal case trays (9mm, .45, .223)
    RCBS case trimmer
    RCBS case/media separator
    Lee universal deprimming die
    Hornady die bushing conversion kit (plus 8 bushings)
    Hornady locking rings (8)
    Digital Calipers
    Lee deluxe quick trim (plus .223 die)
    Lee deluxe carbide die set (.45acp)
    Lee deluxe carbide die set (9mm)
    Lee ultimate die set (.223)
    RCBS 505 beam scale
    Lyman 2000 electronic powder scale
    RCBS uniflow baffles (3)
    Uniflow powder measures (2)
    InLine Fabrication 9" Ultimate stand
    InLine Fabrication 6" Jr stand
    RCBS turret press
    RCBS turrets (2)
    Lyman pocket cleaners (sm, lg)
    Extra shell holders (9mm (3), .45 (3), .223 (3))
    RCBS stuck case removal set
    RCBS vibratory tumbler (corncob & walnut media)
    Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler
    Various bullets (400-9mm, 300-.45, 200-.22)
    Various powders (W-231, Tightgroup, Clays), primers (CCI) and 9mm & .45 brass
    RCBS case block

Books:
    ABC's of Reloading
    Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (vol. 2 & 9)
    Lee Modern Reloading (vol. 2)
    Loadbooks USA (9mm, .45, .223)
    Nosler Reloading Guide
    Lyman Cast Bullet handbook (vol. 1)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Be careful there...buying that much reloading equipment before you've actually done much reloading might be bad for your financial health.

I got my first press over 25 years ago and reload for 20-odd cartridges. Although I've still got the fever, I'm glad to report no health concerns...not even from dry-tumbling brass. ;)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    So... have you done any reloading yet?

Do you mean you're supposed to use this stuff? I thought reloading equipment was just for looks with all the pretty colors and all.:cool:

Actually, I have reloaded 9mm and .45. Haven't tried the .223 yet, still studying up on those. I've used up all the brass I bought so currently I'm waiting until I can get more. I must admit, it is quite enjoyable and relaxing.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Be careful there...buying that much reloading equipment before you've actually done much reloading might be bad for your financial health.

I got my first press over 25 years ago and reload for 20-odd cartridges. Although I've still got the fever, I'm glad to report no health concerns...not even from dry-tumbling brass. ;)

I see where you went there! :draw:

You really need to get away from that dry tumbling before the surgeon general bans it! I hear they're coming out with a patch to help you quit.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'll let you know when I get there. ;)
    Too much snow on the ground up here and way too cold for me to go out there yet.

If you are not an experienced reloader, I would caution against producing hundreds of reloads without testing. However, if you are confident in your recipe, go ahead and do a few thousand! :yesway:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    So wet tumbling is better.? I am just getting into this slowly. Reading up and talking to friends.

Either works fine. Study both on YouTube and make the determination which you prefer. Many reloaders use both. Wet tumbling will get the interior and primer pockets cleaner but the downside is you have to dry the brass afterwards. Also stainless media never wears out so it's a buy once item. Rotary tumblers aren't that much more expensive anymore. I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal tumblers for $140. It can tumble up to 30 lbs at a time. Wet cleaning is a lot cleaner and is something you can do right in the shop or house since there is no dust. Dry cleaning kicks up a lot of dust. Both are noisy.

There Broom_jm...... I didn't say it! :)

RClark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I would be interested in hearing how your reloads are, as a newbie to the reload saga want to learn as much as I can. I am new to shooting as well, but my question would be why not run a few rounds to confirm your loads? But I can say zero weather don't help lol

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    If you are not an experienced reloader, I would caution against producing hundreds of reloads without testing. However, if you are confident in your recipe, go ahead and do a few thousand! :yesway:

Not too worry, taking it slow at this stage. I haven't made that many yet and the ones I did I used the minimum amount of powder as listed in the data sheets in the books. No experimenting yet, just learning the procedure and getting comfortable with the equipment. Luckily, I have a friend that has been reloading for awhile and he's been a great help.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    why not run a few rounds to confirm your loads? But I can say zero weather don't help lol

I would be happy to see zero temps. These constant sub-zero wind chills are really getting the best of me at work.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I have been reloading 35 years and have saved alot of $$$$. My first press was a RCBS Rockchucker then after 2 years I added a RCBS Piggyback progressive onto the Chucker. I just recently purchased a RCBS Pro-2000 progressive.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    This thread is kind of funny to me. I'm looking at getting a Lee Loader. $30 and you can start reloading. I already reload and I'm on my third press, but it's kinda funny what all you "need" these days...

As others said, shoot some soon. It's possible for a minimum load to not cycle a gun or for a max listed load to have pressure issues in your gun. Pays to take it slow, then mass produce what works.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My loading room is all BLUE for rifle/pistol and a RED section for shotgun. I use blue Maxwell House coffee cans for the first and red Folgers for the second. Color coding at it's best!

Top Bottom