• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPUTTER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    BEDFORD
    :patriot:I have not received by Hornady reloading book yet so I am posting to see if someone could look up and give me the information. I have found a site with the some information but want to make sure it is correct before moving on. I will be using a Hornady 230 gr. 45 ACP FMJ-RN, Titegroup powder and CCI 300 primers, I believe my OAL from dummy rounds is around 1.260 firing out of a 1911 45 auto 5" barrel. I have the following and would like the min and max grains, OAL (which varies between weapons). I also have some Speer 230gr, TMJ-RN. I will be using for plinking and work up a good load for accuracy.

Thanks
    :ar15:

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I reload that with 4.6 grains of Titegroup and I've shot it 5" and 3" pistols. I shoot lead for practice and follow up with fmj to clean lead from barrel. Do not however shoot lead if you have a Glock.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hornady manual 8th edition: 230 gr FMJ-RN, 1.230 Cartridge over all length. 4.3 to 4.8 gr Titegroup. They used Winchester primers. I have used CCI and Winchester primers interchangably for years. If your pistol feeds better a 1.260, that will not hurt a thing. Good Luck

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am using Titegroup for 9mm and .40. I have heard that Titegroup isn't the best choice for .45 ACP. Does anyone know a better choice in powder? Will be shooting from a 1911 and a xD.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I generally run 'em at 1.245".
    Passes the plunk test in all my 1911's.
    I like Titegroup a lot with the 185 & 200 gr bullets.
    For 230 gr. I've been using W231. Seems a touch better with the heavier bullets.
    Not a big difference by any stretch. I wouldn't stop loading if all I had was one or the other.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I shoot lead for practice and follow up with fmj to clean lead from barrel. Do not however shoot lead if you have a Glock.

Not a good idea. :noway:
    Correctly sized, lead bullets will completely fill the barrel when the base is expanded out to seal the bore at the time of ignition. If leading occurs, it is usually down in the groves between the lands, but if severe, can extend up above the lands. Correctly sized, a FMJ bullet "does not" completely seal the barrel, but rides "on" the lands, and if leading is severe, will ride up onto the lead like a high speed sled in the snow, and push the lead out against the barrel, possibly causing it to bulge.

Top Bottom