• ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    IJ-Thanks So Much for posting this!
    Brought back so many Fond Memories of my Grandfather.
    Born 1889, Engineer on Southern RxR Steam engines & then ran the Southern Machine shop in Princeton.
    After retiring, went on to Build Small Steam engines.
    Sure wish I had one of those little Beasts! Ha
    RIP TTD

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not a steam engine, but Dad's Christmas present a few years ago. An Oliver 77 was the tractor he started with.

CQMkyZh.jpg

6c2f7wF.jpg

5IjMr3V.jpg
    One of the prettiest tractors ever made.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    One of the prettiest tractors ever made.
    As a lifelong fan of the only properly colored brand of green tractors, even I have to admit, those had style.

My great-grandpa never farmed with a tractor, just horses. But near the end of his life he purchased this little JD. My dad never knew what happened to it. Turns out one of his cousins got it and just let it sit since the 70s. He passed away and it went to his daughter. She was moving and wanted it gone. She knew my dad restored old JD tractors so she called and asked if he wanted it. He very much did. He went to her house with a trailer and in about an hour had it running again. He went back and forth between restoring it or leaving it original. In the end, he restored it so it would match all the other old JDs in the barn.

Amu01Fql.jpg

EGf0XVLl.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Great pictures.

I was born in an industrial city and lived in a lot of upstairs rental properties, so I never experienced farm life. I cannot really even comprehend rural life. Before I got sick, I was trying to find a farmer to let me work a couple days at planting time and a couple days at harvest time, just for the experience. The affection for the old machines at steam and power shows has a passion that is not seen often in life. By these pictures of the equipment, land and the families. I can tell there is something special about life on the land.

May you all continue to enjoy that life and vocation.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    The tractor of my great grandfather would have been a team. My dad left the farm in Strasburg (now Sauk Village) Illinois about a hundred years ago. He was in his early 20s. He and his brothers were not able to keep it going after my grandparents died. No farm there now, just open land. I often drive by there and the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. Dad never got farming completely out of his blood. Our Sunday drives often took us through farmland. I do those drives now.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The tractor of my great grandfather would have been a team. My dad left the farm in Strasburg (now Sauk Village) Illinois about a hundred years ago. He was in his early 20s. He and his brothers were not able to keep it going after my grandparents died. No farm there now, just open land. I often drive by there and the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. Dad never got farming completely out of his blood. Our Sunday drives often took us through farmland. I do those drives now.
    My mom recently found the diaries of my Great Great grandfather from 1897-1943. In the back of each year's diary, he kept a running total of all expenses and sales. It's really interesting to see the change from the horses to his first tractor. I've yet to read them, but I've skimmed a few just to see those changes. I can't wait to read what he was thinking as that shift from horses to horsepower happened.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The tractor of my great grandfather would have been a team.

Same here. My dad was born in 1923, when he was a teenager old enough to work around the farm there were 2 horses (their names I've heard but can't recall) that did all the tilling and planting work. My grandad would hire a harvester to come and bring in the crops. That man used a steam tractor and pull behind "combine". My family operated that way for many decades. I believe the first tractor arrived at the farm after my dad and uncle returned from the war, around 1946 - 1947.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm still using a 1968 Bolens lawn mower.
    Still mows great and I have a snow blower attachment that still works great.
    Does this count?

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I love old tractors. I have a '49 Farmall C that my great grandfather purchased brand new.
    My grandfather used a Super C for all of the small stuff like planting, cultivating and mowing. He used a '48 TD6 crawler for plowing and discing and other chores requiring more pulling power.

I still have my dad's '67 Minneapolis-moline U302 Super that I use for taking care of our wildlife habitat (food plots and tillage), mowing and snow removal around our 34 acres (all that is left of the 173 acre original farm). I taught several grandkids, nieces and nephews how to drive with the tractor too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    99c8dbfeec15e5cd0061c3e75f682db0.jpg

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I'm available for adoption. And I'm mostly house trained. Just putting that out there.
    Too late…wish I had known sooner :cool:

On the upside sold 300 acres with grain set up, center pivots, etc. that meant most to me to another family farm ( of course like most farms today it will remain part of a family farm at least until current generation(s) are actively farming. Then all bets are off. ) My wife and my house went to a good family. 3 acres with original family home is now young Amish family owned.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom