• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Looking to both find and buy one, mostly for recreational shooting and general entertainment of using such a gun. I am not a big hunter, but do enjoy shooting fine firearms. Also, where would you go to buy this gun that you are recommending?

Thanks!

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Bought mine at Wal-mart. Spent $283 for the rifle ($227 alone), 555 rounds, and an overpriced second mag. Have seen them at Bass Pro for about $250. Ruger 10/22 is a great choice. A little more expensive than other .22 rifles, but its worth it. My dad has had his for like 30 years now (the same one I started shooting about 20 years ago) and has no issues with it at all. Its one of those guns that if you miss its not the gun, its you. Not to mention that the aftermarket is huge for them if you ever decide you want to change out stocks or something else.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Go to your local gun store, pick up the cheapest one possible, go to midway, brownells etc, order a .920 stock and quality glass, order trigger internals from Kidd, order a VQ or Kidd or Shaw or Green Mountain barrel (most uses I'd saw .920 fluted bull barrel with provision to accept supressor or at least room for a smith to do so later if you so desire) and a trip to appleseed

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They were on sale at Gander for $199 last week.

I have a carbine 10/22 with an aftermarket stock, barrel, and a scope. Its a fun gun.

That being said if you want a plinker and don't care about putting any aftermarket goodies on it, you could check into the marlin 795. Half the price and more accurate box stock.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My recommendation:

Buy the least expensive one you want.

OR buy the most expensive one you want.

They ALL work the same - cosmetically they can be quite different.

You can always buy the cheapest one...then spend your next thousand dollars on dressing it up!

-J-

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Before you get started you need to understand that the 10-22 is a complete money pit. You need to be aware of that before you start down this road. I personally really like the 10-22's with a folding stock and these days those stocks can run over $60. You really owe it to yourself to make your bolt hold open lever a functional piece of the gun and that's just a $10 VQ part. You should also consider a VQ extractor as that's going to make your rifle that much more reliable. Then you definately need to get the VQ trigger so you can lighten and clean up the trigger. Then you have to decide between a scope and iron sights. The factory irons aren't that great, so I went with "Tech Sights" and those were another chunk of change. A decent scope is probably $50 - $75. Long story short, the costs never end with a 10-22, but by the time you're done fooling with it you will have a reliable semi auto mag fed rifle that's exactly the way you want it to be. My favorite 10-22 is the folding one I just posted a couple of pictures of in this thread comparing the size of a folder vs the take down. I've already got new upgraded parts on the way in the mail for my new 10-22TD and I haven't even shot the thing yet. 10-22's are just that addicting.

If you want a comparison here's a couple pics I just put up for peoples reference:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/211602-10_22_take_down_beside_10_22_folding_pictures.html

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Don't wanna kick the hornets nest here,but for low cost "outta the box" accuracy, you're better off with a Marlin/Glenfield model 60.

I don't think anyone would argue against that. The marlin 60 is a fine option. The ruger 10-22 is just a different flavor of 22lr.

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    might check Cabela's every now and then there pretty cheap. If that's too far away, check, Wally world. Most gun stores have used ones, but, generally, they go for as much as a new one does.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    go to rimfirecentral.com and do some studying. will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about 10-22s. i've built 4 10-22s and love them but they ARE a money pit....daryll

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Find one at your local gun store, it's almost certain they'll have one. Upgrade the sights, either with a scope or with tech-sights, put a sling on it, come to an Appleseed, and shoot it for a while. Then, once you've got some more experience with it, you can decide which parts you want to change out. Everyone's 10-22 ends up a little bit different, that's part of the beauty of them.

chris2012

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    Gander's are $229, Dick's Sporting Goods are $219.00, Plainfield Shooting are $209.00 Everyone else is $240 +

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I'm picking one up this weekend at Dick's. They are charging $219 for the blued carbine with a wood stock. They had a Marlin 795 right below it for $149. I plan on doing the same as you as well in the plinking department. The ruger is calling to me because of the options available. I can buy a target barrel, scope, new trigger and have a beast, but first I want to learn how to shoot with it hehe.

Top Bottom