• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Alrighty fellas. Been needing to get me a good flashlight and all my junky ones have finally broken down so I'm on the verge of getting female-counterpart approval for the purchase of a high-end light. Usually, when these approvals happen, there is about a 24 hour window of opportunity to jump before the approval miraculously disappears, so I need to be ready.

I'm looking for the answer to "If you only had ONE flashlight, what would it be?" Price range preferably ~$150 but I may be able to squeeze another $25 or so in there.

I'd like to be able to carry this sucker and use it for tactical purposes as well as simple "looking in the back of the closet" jobs. Let me hear it!

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How would you compare this to the P2X Fury? Is it worth the extra $30-40?

Well the Fury is brighter (LX2 = 200 lumens, Fury = 500). But for every day use its too bright. The Fury would make an excellent small searchlight, but 15/200 lumens is more than enough for daily tasks and blinding light.

Plus, the Fury doesn't have a pocket clip, and is a bit on the large side for pocket carry.

IMO it is overkill for your needs and not worth the extra $$.

Also, what do you guys do about batteries? Large stash? Rechargables (what type)?

I buy Surefire brand 123s a box at a time (12). Costs about $25.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/subasp.html

Also, the link to B&H above includes 2 batteries in the light, and 2 extras.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Great price. Darn it. Just ordered it.

If you use it for both defensive and utility, how do you manage swapping batteries? My EDC right now is a Fenix LD01 AAA light. Bright for a AAA, but not bright compared to true defensive lights. I use Eneloops that I charge every month and swap sooner if I have used it.

With CR123s, do you just try to keep a mental note of how much you used it?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

If you use it for both defensive and utility, how do you manage swapping batteries? My EDC right now is a Fenix LD01 AAA light. Bright for a AAA, but not bright compared to true defensive lights. I use Eneloops that I charge every month and swap sooner if I have used it.

With CR123s, do you just try to keep a mental note of how much you used it?

You can get rechargable CR123s also.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but I really like the SureFire LumaMax LX2. :laugh:

I use my SureFires all the time as a general purpose utility light. The CR123 batteries hold up very well. I don't change mine as frequently as I should. I try to carry a fresh set with me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Joe I think you'll really appreciate the quality of the LX2. Keep us updated.

If you use it for both defensive and utility, how do you manage swapping batteries?

There are a few different ways.

One is, like you said, to just keep a mental note of how often you've used the light and hope that you catch it in time.

Another is to keep a set of spares handy in your car, bag, office, whatever.

Or you can determine just how often you use the light regularly and then swap them out at regular intervals, like once a month, once every other month, etc.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone out there that would scream "NO! Choose XYZ instead!"? With all the fanboyism in the gun community, surely there's someone out there who can say, "Surefire is ridiculous... they're ugly and go kaboom when you pull the trigger--uh, I mean turn them on. You ought to own a blah-di-blah."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With all the fanboyism in the gun community, surely there's someone out there who can say, "Surefire is ridiculous... they're ugly and go kaboom when you pull the trigger--uh, I mean turn them on. You ought to own a blah-di-blah."

I think Surefire is commonly accepted as the "top" when it comes to hard-use or tactical flashlights. I can't think of any other popular brand of lights that are as expensive or tough.

You're more likely to get the "you are overpaying for Surefire" bit, and then links to less expensive lights that claim to be just as good. But if you're already willing to lay out the cash I don't see a reason to skimp.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    [/I]
    Anyone out there that would scream "NO! Choose XYZ instead!"? With all the fanboyism in the gun community, surely there's someone out there who can say, "Surefire is ridiculous... they're ugly and go kaboom when you pull the trigger--uh, I mean turn them on. You ought to own a blah-di-blah."

:ugh: How did this happen to me? I have become that which I hate, the ever dreaded title of fan boy. Before INGO I was satisfied, happy in my little world. Now I own not one but two surefires and not one but two glocks. Funny thing is they are tools that just work. At least I haven't bought any 5.11 gear and I don't have a poster of Yeager on my wall.

Top Bottom