• ...and so much more!
  • Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Its a long read. But worth it.
    Page 1 Pajamas Media » Nationwide Ammunition Shortage Hits U.S.
    Page 2Pajamas Media » Nationwide Ammunition Shortage Hits U.S.

Skyrocketing demand has been emptying the shelves of America's gun stores. Here's why.
    February 28, 2009
    - by Bob Owens
    Page 1 of 2 Next ->

Support Pajamas Media; Visit Our Advertisers

If you, like thousands of other Americans, have Googled to find out why we are in the middle of a nationwide ammunition shortage, you would have stumbled across this 2007 blog entry.

In it, I corrected a poorly researched Associated Press story by Estes Thompson that claimed the military’s consumption of ammunition was responsible for police ammunition shortages here in the United States. Few things could have been further from the truth, but it seems rather apparent, in retrospect, that the goal of that AP article wasn’t to find the truth as much as it was to (falsely) lay blame for the police ammunition shortages at the feet of George W. Bush.

The real fact of the matter is that the military got the bulk of its small arms (pistol, rifle, machine gun) ammunition from one contracted ammunition plant, and that plant wasn’t even running near capacity. The military’s consumption clearly wasn’t to blame, and anecdotal evidence and statements from ammunition manufacturers strongly suggested that police departments themselves caused the 2007 ammunition shortage by purchasing far more ammunition than they had in the past.

But what is causing our current ammunition shortages here in 2009?

Much of the demand comes from continued high law enforcement demand, the same demand that led to shortages two years ago. Police agencies around the nation have become more militarized in recent years and two trends within this militarization have led to greater police ammunition demand.

An increase in the size and number of paramilitary police units

Once upon a time, highly trained, heavily armed police units with alphabet-soup acronyms such as SWAT, SRT, SRU, or ERT were generally found as part of large, metropolitan police departments. Today, law enforcement agencies of every size — including some university police forces — have SWAT-type units armed with some combination of submachine guns, assault rifles, and sniper rifles to add to the traditional compliment of pistols and shotguns. To become proficient to the level expected of these units, each officer must fire thousands of rounds in training every year.

An increase in the use of “patrol carbines” in law enforcement

Some agencies prefer to call them “patrol carbines”; others refer to them as “tactical rifles.” But whatever you call them, rifles based upon the AR-15 are becoming increasingly common as a weapon deployed to police officers outside of SWAT units, for some very logical reasons. AR-type rifles extend the range at which patrol officers can engage armed criminals, and because rifles have more practical accuracy than pistols, they can potentially reduce the number of shots fired to neutralize a suspect. Paired with the right kind of ammunition, the .223 Remington/5.56mm caliber rifle also has surprisingly less over-penetration, theoretically reducing threats to civilians who might be downrange. Each of these weapons will also require officers carrying them to fire hundreds of rounds in training each year, and in a city that rotates rifles from one shift to another among their patrol units, this can necessitate tens of thousands of rounds of training ammunition.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    The article forgets the people though who are currently stockpiling 10Ks of rnds in their basement making it impossible for the 'normal consumer' to find reaonably priced ammo

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I call BS. The Military itself, has a much higher demand for ammunition. We have had boots on the ground since what 2002. I think it's just another source trying to cover for Obama. Fact is sales did not increase dramatically until his election. Same happend when Clinton was elected into office.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I call BS. The Military itself, has a much higher demand for ammunition. We have had boots on the ground since what 2002. I think it's just another source trying to cover for Obama. Fact is sales did not increase dramatically until his election. Same happend when Clinton was elected into office.

Gotta agree with you. The minor pricing increases BEFORE the election could have been due to increased general demand (police and general increase, not only in patrol rifles for police, but also civilians building and buying ARs and AKs in HUGE quantities when the AWB faded) and metal pricing. Now that metal pricing has subsided, it was only the slight increase in demand presented by folks in general causing the higher pricing.

NOW, however, is a HUGELY different situation. Police are getting the ammo they need (with SOME shortages, but they are getting it and before the civilians do). But, us as civilians aren't. The military has nothing to do with the shortages. Hell, even during the initial pricing increase before the election, gunshop owners were trying to use the military as a reason for pricing increases. BS! Lake City supplies the ammo for the military, with some support from Olin or ATK, but not enough to damage the supply to police and civilians. It was the Federal or LC stuff drying up, one could still get Q3131 easily. There were also lots of foriegn new manufacture or surplus ammo to get.

Shortages of .38 and .380 are ours and the gun industry's fault. Sudden increase in popularity for pocket pistols caused a run on those ammo types. .223 and 7.62x39 is us mainly as well. When the AWB ended, we gorged upon vast amounts of ARs and AKs that popped up. Now, couple these particular shortages with fear and panic due to the election, and you have a massive shortage. Add in that some folks are hoarding the stuff to only make money (or similar pretense) cause general pricing to increase.

All in all, its not one thing or simple list of things. It is fifty different things that popped up, a perfect storm if you will. We want to blame anything we can, but its our fault, pure and simple. We are the ones afraid of bans. We are the ones buying overpriced ammo, giving hoarders reason to stockpile for later raping. We are the ones impatient to go on a backorder list for anything, making us go to overpriced local sources for ammo or supplies.

All in all, articles like the original are ones born of frustration. We want DESPARATELY to point fingers at something or someone, preferably the government or a similar large, unknown entity that panders to some's paranoia. People are pissed because they didn't buy before the panic and want something to be mad at and it's understandable. Unfortunately, for one of us NOT paniking, there is 500 that are...:xmad:

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Yeah , who is that normal consumer?

But the poster above is right we have created this and those that whine on about high prices sound like my grandma complaining about the price at the grocery stores. Yet, they buy it, I buy, we all buy it.

Hey, I dont like it either and it has curtailed my shooting to a little of the big stuff and more .22. But even that has been much lower than it ever was in years.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Lake City has not been able to meet the demands of the military small arms requirements since the initial invasion of Iraq. Lake City is the only government ammo facility left after all of the base realignment and closures during the Clinton years.The US has been buying ammunition from Israel and South Korea for a number of years now. If anything happens to these countries our military is pretty much screwed for ammo. Once again our government continues making the same stupid mistakes over and over again. I personally would seriously question the statement that police departments are firing thousands of rounds of ammo per year. They don't have the funds or the facilities or feel any need to train most officers beyond very basic and very limited qualifications. I have personally seen many police qualifications and you would be shocked at the level and standards they require.

Last edited:

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I'm guilty as charged. I didn't expect ammunition to be a problem. I diverted my monetary resources (e.g. Defense Budget) towards guns and magazines based off the last AWB. I have managed to catchup to what I consider a baseline, but would like more ammo in the future.

Top Bottom