• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I had to buy a new razor about 10 years ago when they stopped making the single cartidge blades for the one I had. Stepped up to a Gilette two-blade head that's pretty thin and it worked really well.
    Recently I got a coupon for a free razor, so I traded it in on the highest value piece the coupon would cover, a Schick Hydro power.
    Verdict :noway:
    The 5 blade head is so wide it covers my whole upper lip and makes it harder to negotiate curves and starting points around the hair I want to keep. It puts out this goo from the top of the blade that trails off my face like a piece of snot when I go to rinse it. The vibrating thing does nothing to improve the quality of the shave IMO.

Maybe I'll just stick with what I have until I can't find blades again.

Or....

Who's got a recomendation on a KIS razor that's widely available and percieved better than a Sensor Excel? Is there some higher zoot stuff I should be trying?

Input please.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Don't waste your money. A safety razor is so much cheaper and shaves better.

Get this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354894936&sr=8-4&keywords=safety+razor]Amazon.com: Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome Plated Lined Detail, Chrome: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

And these blades will last almost 2 years for under $10

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Premium-Platinum-Double-Safety/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=pd_sim_hpc_10]Amazon.com: 100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades: Beauty[/ame]

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    beardreavement1_man2_sm.jpg

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Going to side with Sailor here. I just picked up a (cheap) Double Edge and 2 shaves later I'm hooked. I've got about 15 blades for my Mach3, but those will go into the 'barter' bin for LTS or emergency backup. I shave in the shower, so cleanup is more involved post- shave, but it's worth it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have used a Merkur Safety Razor for a while now. Change your blades often.

What helps me more than the type of razor is super hot water and pre-shave oil. The stuff I use comes from Macy's.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    I am thinking about trying a safety razor once I finally shave my pitiful attempt at a no shave november beard. How "safe" are they, haha? I really don't want to scar myself trying to use one for the first time.

As for shave cream, I have been using this for a while now and I love it, very great effervescent feeling afterwords.

pBBW1-2766765v275.jpg

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton

That's the exact razor that I own, and it's great. It didn't see any use during November, and since I'm keeping the beard for now I only use it to trim my neck line. Once you switch to a DE safety razor, you'll never go back to cheap cartridges.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Thanks for all the input so far!!

For the comments here, and remembering my grandpa's kit, I'll be investigating an old school safety razor. Hell, maybe even get the badger brush and the cream like grandpa Vlad had and enjoy my shaves instead of just flying through them. He used to mix his in a tea cup, but I see purpose built shaving cups too in the links. Outstanding.

That Jagger razor looks like the biz as does the Merkur when looking it up. Bet I could make up a kit for under $100 and be happy for decades.

More research this weekend and I'll be making an order.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Both the Jagger and Merkur and good starting razors. They have about the same angle not too aggressive. Its a toss up I just like the looks of the Jagger better. When starting out go slow and let the weight of the razor do the work. Don't push on it.

Old school Ice Blue Aqua Velva is the best at cooling down for aftershave, but the smell is grampa-ie. I like Burts Bees after balm.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I use a Gillette Slim or Tech myself. Glad to see I'm not the only DE shaver (although I kinda miss it, I've been rocking a beard for the last two months).

All that fancy cartridge razor crap is a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Never buy replacement blades again

105797030-260x260-0-0_dovo+dovo+black+handle+straight+razor+5+8+inch+dov.jpg

With a nice badger brush and some good soap, you can't get a better shave.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Thanks for all the input so far!!

For the comments here, and remembering my grandpa's kit, I'll be investigating an old school safety razor. Hell, maybe even get the badger brush and the cream like grandpa Vlad had and enjoy my shaves instead of just flying through them. He used to mix his in a tea cup, but I see purpose built shaving cups too in the links. Outstanding.

That Jagger razor looks like the biz as does the Merkur when looking it up. Bet I could make up a kit for under $100 and be happy for decades.

More research this weekend and I'll be making an order.

Here's a link over to the Badger and Blade forum where I show my first purchase. I ordered most of it from West Coast Shaving, and I have no complaints about by dealings with them. I recommend getting a sample pack of blades. Everyone has an opinion as to what the best blade is and, just like handgun calibers, it's usually just personal preference.

If you go the route of a brush and soap, check out the B&B forum about how to clean and break in the brush. There's lots of information over there.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i've had a mach 3 turbo for probably 10 years now. i don't care for any other one, the closer ones with more blades get too close for me.

that said, ive not taken a razor to my face but once or twice a year. clippers take it down nicely.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Shaving greatness in a few days...

Input here, some reading on the suggested link to badger and blade, and amazon reviews, put me on to the products below. Advice appreciated!:rockwoot:

31Ltw%2BV0OVL.jpg

31OjVBIOj4L._SY450_.jpg

41DyUMazesL._SY450_.jpg

517h3xbtTwL._SY450_.jpg

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have worn a beard over 1/2 of my life. I still shave my neck and upper cheeks every Sunday morning. Probably 10 years ago I just went to the disposible BIC single edge. I store it in a coffee cup with an inch of baby oil in the bottom. Since it never gets a chance to rust, each one lasts about 2 months. Simple, cheap and effective. Good Luck

Top Bottom