Range superstitions. Anybody have one?..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I once had a crow land on the top edge of the plywood backstop that my target was stapled to. I was sighting in a 7mm rem mag rifle and was in between shots. The range was hot, and my rifle was loaded and ready to fire, pointed downrange, crosshairs on the target and finger on the trigger. I had a passing thought that involved a wide shot, one apparently very stupid crow, and lots of feathers. I quickly dismissed this thought thinking that it might bring bad luck if I were to follow through on it. That might have had something to do with the fact that this was a monitored range with an on-duty range officer. Mr. Crow never knew how lucky he was that day. ;)

I've always thought it was bad juju to shoot anything except targets at the range. I even once had a decent buck walk out on the range DURING F/A DEER SEASON and I did not take a shot. Would have been legal, tag and all, but just seems wrong. :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I don't shoot with people who disregard muzzle control or can't resist touching a gun while there are people downrange.

:dunno:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I've always thought it was bad juju to shoot anything except targets at the range. I even once had a decent buck walk out on the range DURING F/A DEER SEASON and I did not take a shot. Would have been legal, tag and all, but just seems wrong. :dunno:

depending on the gun. How would you explain the wrong caliber bullet used to take the animal?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Mine isn't really a superstition, but it is something I just do.

If I haven't been out shooting in a couple months. The first thing I do is load up carry equivalent rounds for my carry pistol. Then I setup a silhouette. Then I turn away from it at about 20 feet. Turn back as I'm drawing and engage the target. I start moving sideways (off the axis of attack) while about half way through the first mag. Do a reload and continue shooting as I'm backing up.

I see this as a good test of my current "cold" defense skills. It also shows how many months not shooting can make you rusty. No matter how many rounds you have fired in your life, rust forms. Handguns, especially smaller pocket guns, recoil more than you expected at first and it can take a couple rounds to get in the grove.

It also reinforces what I will need to watch out for this if I'm pressed into using my pistol for defense, with a serious lag from not shooting. Personally, it is that my first shot is dead on, but I tend to pull the second down and a little left if I try to follow up too fast.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I always have one more gun with me than I am actively shooting that day. If I am shooting my "pocket gun" at the range - the backup pocket gun goes in the pocket. I've not had any issues in Indianapolis but when I was living in Michigan there were a few cases of people getting robbed on their way out of the local Conservation Club parking lot.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My only superstition is that I have to have my bullets all loaded the same way--pointing to the front.:laugh:
    So I guess you DON'T have an H&K handgun?......................................................

Obscure reference of the day............:rockwoot:

My dad said to not shoot all your ammo in case you need it on the way home...

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I always have 3 magazines full at the end of the day. You never want to walk out with an empty gun, then how will you defend yourself?

Shooter, I'm officially adopting your rule. Except it's kind of hard with a brick of .22LR ammo.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My dad said to not shoot all your ammo in case you need it on the way home...

I show up with 2 mags full of defensive rounds, they come out of the magazines and I drop them into the gun case (for the ride home).. I shoot all of whatever I take with me, then reload the defensive ammo when I'm done. :)

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Not sure if OCD or superstition, but all firearms must be laying with the grips pointing right, at all times. Rifles, handguns, shotguns, etc. The mags must be on the left side of the bench. The ammo in the center. Also, I never, ever use the right-most lane. Not sure why.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not hard, just takes a little longer. :) Or you could "cheat" and buy the bricks that consist of several individual boxes in one carton...

Yep, I can tear up some bulk packs of 22. If anyone is having trouble doing it, just buy more magazines... and load up as many as you can in advance.

Top Bottom