• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Trying to improve some of my 1911 shooting.

This was at 10 yards and the covered up dots were at the same range.

Although I love the wood checkered grips; I need some front strap checkering to get a better grip on the pistol.

0613091649.jpg

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Although I love the wood checkered grips; I need some front strap checkering to get a better grip on the pistol.

Rather than go to the expense to permanently checker the front strap, stop by your local hardware store and get some 3M "Tread Tape". Sold off a roll, by the foot. Cut a piece to fit the front strap and stick it on. Sometimes known as "skateboard tape" in some circles.

It works as good as checkering, much cheaper, and you can change it if you like. At the very least, it will let you know if you really want to go to the expense of checkering.

AB

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looks like two different types of ammo. One is either FMJ or Hollow Points and the other is SWC. Those SWC are some really clean and round looking holes. I really like Springfield Armory 1911's. You are one lucky guy to own one.

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Nice gun, good shooting. I've always struggled with 45's. That is why I carry a 9mm. Would love to get better at shooting the ole 1911 though. They are definitely a classic.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Rather than go to the expense to permanently checker the front strap, stop by your local hardware store and get some 3M "Tread Tape". Sold off a roll, by the foot. Cut a piece to fit the front strap and stick it on. Sometimes known as "skateboard tape" in some circles.

It works as good as checkering, much cheaper, and you can change it if you like. At the very least, it will let you know if you really want to go to the expense of checkering.

AB

Great advice.

Nice shooting, great gun, and thanks for the report.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Another product I use that is along the lines of the tape idea is a black rubber-like padding I found in the shelving section @ Lowe's. While its not checkerd, it does have a textured pattern that provides a good gripping surface. I just cut peice to the pattern or dimension necessary to wrap around the front or back strap. Make it a little wider than the actual surface to be covered and the grips will hold it in place. It works and looks great. Since I don't know how, and this computer wouldn't let me anyway, I can't post pics. Sorry.

Top Bottom