• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Today my friend Doug and I were able to squeeze in a few hours at the range in between rain storms. It ended up being a mostly NFA outing, with Doug bringing his BCM 11.5" AR and Gemtech G5, and me bringing my 10.5" LMT AR, 9.5" 9mm AR, and my new Gemtech MultiMount.

10.5" LMT
    I ran about 140 rounds through the gun, a mix of Wolf and Prvi Partizan 55gr FMJ. I had 2 failures to eject with the Wolf, and two failures to eject and a light strike with the PPU. I had issues like this all through the Magpul carbine course I took back in May. After the course, I changed out the extractor spring, insert and O-ring. Now I will be looking at the extractor itself and the ejector spring. I may also experiment with a lighter buffer (I'm currently running a 9mm buffer, which is about as heavy as you can go) to see if more energetic cycling will solve the problem. I fired about as many rounds of .22LR through the gun using my Ciener conversion kit, with zero problems. The new CMMG .22 magazines work great; I will be buying more.

Gemtech MultiMount
    I started out with the MultiMount on my Glock 17, shooting regular 115gr FMJ as well as two types of 147gr subsonics. With the subsonic ammo, this combination is pretty quiet from the shooter's standpoint, and very quiet when observed from off to the side. There is a dramatic increase in the noise level shooting 115gr, of course, but it's all downrange (sonic crack). At the gun, the noise level remains comfortable and "hearing safe," and it was still possible to carry on a normal conversation when shooting.

Attaching the can results in a POI shift of about 1.5" low and to the right at 15 yards with subsonics, and about 1/2" with 115gr. According to the manual, you are supposed to be able to pull the can forward about 1/8" and rotate it to different indexing points within the LID mount in order to change POI for various loads, but this did not seem to have any measurable effect.

The thread mount has to be constantly checked and snugged down, or else it will back off a bit after 10 rounds or so. After 4 mags (80 rounds) of continuous firing, the can was too hot to handle, even after doubling up on shooting gloves. I'll be taking a page from bigcraig's book and adding a welding glove to my range bag soon! At that point, I was also getting some serious heat mirage off the top of the can, which made aiming difficult. As a result, my group sizes started to open up. So I put the gun down to let the can cool off before swapping the LID mount out for the 3-lug adapter and moving it over to the 9mm AR.

The MultiMount-equipped 9mm AR shooting subsonics is wicked quiet - to my ear, it's very similar to shooting standard-velocity ammo out of my suppressed .22 pistol. POI shift is also much less than on the Glock (1/2" right at 25 yards with all ammo, and groups were tight), due to the heavier, rigid barrel and more stable mounting interface. This is where the can will spend 95% of its time. We finished up the day blasting clay birds off the berm with this combo... at 100 yards! :D The gun is basically shooting within the dot size (4 MOA) at that point, so it took us about 25 rounds to completely dust 4 birds. It was fun. The one thing that surprised me is how much of a thump the gun has when shooting suppressed; you can definitely tell it's cycling harder, but it doesn't really throw your aim off any because it is so fast, and straight back. If I spend a lot of time running the gun with the can on it, I might play around with an extra power recoil spring to soften the blow a bit.

BCM w/ Gemtech G5
    Doug's gun runs, and runs, and runs. Always has. His setup is a lot heavier than my LMT, though, and the weight of the G5 on the front doesn't help any. It's manageable for outings like this, but I wouldn't want to do a 3-day class with it or anything. Where the gun really starts to shine is running the G5 with the Ciener .22 kit. Almost as quiet as running a dedicated .22 can, and 100% reliable. And today, to our giddy excitement, we discovered that this combo will also cycle subsonics. :yesway: I think the staple gun I used to put up the targets made more noise. Seriously.

I also got to shoot my Glock 23 and 27, which I haven't had out in months for lack of reasonably priced .40 ammo, and got the iron sights and red dot dialed in on my 10/22, which also ran well.

So we didn't get to shoot quite as much as we would have liked, we got wet, and I don't have any pics to post, but it was still WAY better than a day at the office or home doing honey-dos. ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    YHM and their distrubutors online seem to have pulled all the pistons from their websites... I wanted a Cobra, but not if I have to buy 2 suppressors for my 2 different guns. I decided to give Gemtech a call, and they didn't seem to know of any changes and said they were still willing to send out pistons. I wanted to save an extra hundred bucks, but I've heard Gemtech's are very nice. When I get my funds back up I'll just go with the Gemtech.

Edit: Which store should I call? I liked Beech Grove Firearms, but they are a bit of a distance from Fishers. I believe His and Her Shooting Supply stocks Gemtech, but I haven't been there yet. Anyone have a reason to pick one shop in Indiana from another?

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    CMMG mag

Can you give me a litle more information on your experience the CMMG .22 magazine? I've had problems with two Black Dog Magazines breaking at the feedlips and I'm looking for alternatives.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Can you give me a litle more information on your experience the CMMG .22 magazine?

I bought two just to check them out. They ran fine last weekend (about 140 rounds through both of them with no issues of any kind), so I ordered 4 more. :)
    CMMG 22lr Mag 26rd

I've had problems with two Black Dog Magazines breaking at the feedlips and I'm looking for alternatives.

You're not alone. I bought 4 smoke-colored BDM mags last year to run in my Ciener kit. These were the Gen 2 design without the BHO follower. After less than 200 rounds apiece through them and no harsh handling/dropping or exposure to solvents, I discovered 3 of them had cracks through the feed lips and spine. The cracks in two of the mags were beneath the surface, while in the third, they were full-thickness and caused the feed lip to break off and the mag to spontaneously disassemble itself on the floor of my armory. I promptly Emailed BDM asking if I could return the mags for replacement, and was told yes. Within a couple weeks, BDM sent me 3 new smoke-colored mags with the BHO follower. Last weekend, I discovered that one of the replacement mags had developed full-thickness cracks in the same area as the prior three, again after less than 200 rounds and no harsh handling or exposure. :xmad:

lovemywoods recently posted that he had discovered cracks in his smoke-colored BDM mags, as well.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ny_broken_feed_lips_and_customer_service.html

At the time I returned my cracked mags, I asked if there was any difference in the material used in the BDM smoke mags vs. the black ones, and was told no. I'm not sure I believe them; IMO, something about the smoke mags is different and is causing these structural failure issues. I have yet to hear of anyone's black BDM mags cracking. Are your mags smoke, clear or black?

Problems like this have been documented in numerous different types of clear or translucent magazines, to include the Bulgarian and Polish 5.56 AK, Steyr AUG, SIG 551/552, AGP Saiga-12, and even the translucent Magpul AR mag (known as the TMAG).

The CMMG mags appear to be every bit as good as if not better than BDM (albeit a bit heavier - maybe not a bad thing), and cost about 2/3 as much. The fact that they are gray and look like a USGI 30rd mag when inserted in the gun (they even have a cute little green follower) will also appeal to some folks. I will continue to monitor my CMMG mags for cracks, but do not anticipate any problems. I will run my remaining BDM mags to failure, then salvage the internals for replacement parts and use the bodies for targets...

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I am placing an order today for more CMMG mags (as I currently out) and will be posting a special on them in Indiana Supply Depot section of the forum.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    CMMG mags

521 Shooter:
    Thank you for the response. Your experience with the CMMG mags is convincing. The Black Dog magazine I have is a black colored one, not smoke. I have used a Ceiner kit in a full auto mode for about 150 rounds before it failed. The break appears to be in the inside of the right top feed lip, and eventually broke it off completely. Very disappointing.

Top Bottom