• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Yesterday, I went to the range with a friend of mine. I put 233 rounds through my Glock 19 with no failures at all. My friend put 50 through it with no failures as well. My 19 is the first gun I bought and this was the 2nd time i shot it, I feel very confident in my shooting ability, even though the Glock is probably the reason. I saved my 33 round mag for last and unloaded it fast with all 33 hitting paper, I loved it! :D

I tried to add pictures but my camera's memory card won't connect to my computer.

My friend brought his brand new Walther PK 380. He put 200 rounds through it and had at least 5 misfires, mostly because he bought cheap ammo that was on sale.

Until now I only shot a Glock 19, 26 and 21. I put 50 rounds through his Walther and was amazed. The single action trigger pull is so smooth it's ridiculous, pretty much a hair trigger but awesome! I didn't care for the double action. I surprised myself on how accurate I shot it.

Couple things happened while there.

1st, there were 3 "thug" looking black guys there. One guy had the target like within arms reach, he unloaded some low capacity black auto (couldn't tell what) and he said, "I'm a bad, bad man!" I held my laugh haha. I was surprised they were shooting with two hands, the other times I've been to ranges to watch, I seen most of them use one hand and not hit sh*t.

This is the weird part.

2nd, (this is an indoor range) while my friend was shooting, I was standing a little bit behind the shooting booths. On the other end, one guy was shooting reallly low, hitting the floor multiple times. So my friend was shooting and I see him grab the high part of his left thigh and keep shooting with one hand. He came over to me and said, "something f***ing hit me." When we left, he showed me where it hit and there was a bloody mark. Not like a penetration wound but like something hit him with enough force to make it blood red. He said it wasn't that painful but it hit with some force. It wasn't a shell casing because there wasn't anything on the floor and we didn't see any. The only possible thing we could think of was a ricochet from the guy on the far left. I don't know though, it was weird! :dunno:

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Yesterday, I went to the range with a friend of mine. I put 233 rounds through my Glock 19 with no failures at all. My friend put 50 through it with no failures as well. My 19 is the first gun I bought and this was the 2nd time i shot it, I feel very confident in my shooting ability, even though the Glock is probably the reason. I saved my 33 round mag for last and unloaded it fast with all 33 hitting paper, I loved it! :D

I tried to add pictures but my camera's memory card won't connect to my computer.

My friend brought his brand new Walther PK 380. He put 200 rounds through it and had at least 5 misfires, mostly because he bought cheap ammo that was on sale.

Until now I only shot a Glock 19, 26 and 21. I put 50 rounds through his Walther and was amazed. The single action trigger pull is so smooth it's ridiculous, pretty much a hair trigger but awesome! I didn't care for the double action. I surprised myself on how accurate I shot it.

1st, there were 3 "thug" looking black guys there. One guy had the target like within arms reach, he unloaded some low capacity black auto (couldn't tell what) and he said, "I'm a bad, bad man!" I held my laugh haha. I was surprised they were shooting with two hands, the other times I've been to ranges to watch, I seen most of them use one hand and not hit sh*t.

This is the weird part.

2nd, (this is an indoor range) while my friend was shooting, I was standing a little bit behind the shooting booths. On the other end, one guy was shooting reallly low, hitting the floor multiple times. So my friend was shooting and I see him grab the high part of his left thigh and keep shooting with one hand. He came over to me and said, "something f***ing hit me." When we left, he showed me where it hit and there was a bloody mark. Not like a penetration wound but like something hit him with enough force to make it blood red. He said it wasn't that painful but it hit with some force. It wasn't a shell casing because there wasn't anything on the floor and we didn't see any. The only possible thing we could think of was a ricochet from the guy on the far left. I don't know though, it was weird! :dunno:

You were at deb's weren't you? This is one of the reasons I do NOT like going out to public ranges. There are too many idiots that THINK they know what they are doing at them. This is a GREAT way to get someone shot or killed IMO. It's WELL worth the cost of my membership to be able to go to a private range and shoot. (cheaper than a bullethole in my body)

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Sorry to hear about the dumb*** that couldn't hold the gun high enough. Maybe it was his weak hand or the sights were off.

Glad you like the Glock. Should give many years of trouble free maintenance without exploding.

And getting hit with a ricochet stings. I got whacked in the chest with a ricochet from steel sitting 11 yards out. Only a little blood, but nothing that will ruin your day.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    You were at deb's weren't you? This is one of the reasons I do NOT like going out to public ranges. There are too many idiots that THINK they know what they are doing at them. This is a GREAT way to get someone shot or killed IMO. It's WELL worth the cost of my membership to be able to go to a private range and shoot. (cheaper than a bullethole in my body)

Yep, that's where we were.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll go ahead and point out that ricochets happen, whether someone is shooting poorly or not, especially in indoor ranges. It hurts a little, sure, but you're almost never going to get a ricochet that can really do you damage, unless it hits your eye. And that's why we wear our glasses, kiddies.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'll go ahead and point out that ricochets happen, whether someone is shooting poorly or not, especially in indoor ranges. It hurts a little, sure, but you're almost never going to get a ricochet that can you really do damage, unless it hits your eye. And that's why we wear our glasses, kiddies.

+1, things that throw lead can have SOME consequences.

As for private vs. public, I have seen my share of idiots and huckle*&^%s at private ranges, more so dangerous as the "private" aspect of the range seems to inflate their ego and make them teflon to basic safety. Had a moron at a private range I went to as a kid set off a .357 next to my head (yes, next to my head) when I was shooting my .22, laughing about it. When my father threatened to cram a 130gr RN into his skull for that stupid action, they left, but then WE got in trouble because the moron was friends with the rangemaster. The nitwit shot himself in his belly at the range a different time later trying to gunsling.

I will say that I will never go to UNSUPERVISED public ranges, but not discount them entirely.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

This is the weird part.

So, are the weird parts the fact that "they" know how to shoot with two hands; someone (probably a new shooter) hit the floor of the range, or the same guy didn't recognize he was hit with a ricochet? Could this not happen even at the most pristine range void of 'them'?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I think it was his buddy that was hit with the "debris". Yes, can happen at any range.

But I think the "thug" term and the comment he made "I am a bad, bad man" (nice quote of Nicholas Cage) are what he found strange. Someone just watching too many movies. At least "they" were using both hands. Unfortunately I know someone who has done this and bragged to me about how he shot his Hi Point one handed on its side at Don's. (No, I am not kidding).

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Is there an alternative in Northwestern Northwest Indiana?

I hate Debs but the hour+ drive to other available (and not that great) ranges really limits the selection.

Couple mentions of private club/ranges. Are there any around here and how does one sign up?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    And this is why I shoot at my parents place. It's quiet, peaceful, I'm always alone, and there's drinks in the fridge for afterwards. :p And a fully equipped shop to handle any emergency gun smithing that may be required.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I am not going to get into any of the 'they' and 'them' comments that were made either by the OP or afterwards. I made my comments about Deb's because it has a history of bad things happening there. HECK a gary cop was shot and killed there by one of his buddies that was shooting at the same time. I don't have the news article right on hand, but it was widely publicized. And this was less than 2 years ago that this happened.

When I mentioned a private range I am talking a club that has rules and EVERYONE follows them or you are asked to never come back. The club I belong to NPCCC has more than one bay which allows shooters to shoot separately from each other which helps eliminate issues with other shooters.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've got a DNR range that's a mess but nobody else is ever there when I go *knock on brass* But I'm not up north, so it's not much help.

When I have been to ranges that others were around, aside from competitions with common sense shooters and good ROs, I've always been more afraid of the stupidity of others (sweeping everyone present, checking malfunctions looking down the barrel, finishing off the mag after cease fire) than able to focus on my own shooting. It ruins the enjoyment of the trip to the range, so I do hope you find something better soon.

Top Bottom