Range Question, any issue with doing this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since you asked... Here is a picture of me after being hit with a very large bullet fragment at my local club.

Why did this happen? Because, two yokels decided that it would be a good idea to setup a steel dueling tree at the 7-yard line in the lane next to me. I was just about to go ask them to put the tree further downrange when, Whack! I got stung by a huge lead and copper bee.

Boy, was I glad that I had my ANSI Z87.1 Spec Oakleys on that day!

Did you have a conversation with them about this.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    FWIW minimum distance to shoot at steel in USPSA matches is 23 feet. That would not be with swinging targets like those though.

OK I think I need to re think the set up I have plenty of scrap wood and I can mount them on a slat with a piece wood behind it to put it at a downward angle. Perhaps I could build a wood frame to mount them on?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    You can shoot that close if you use frangible ammo. If you are not using that type of ammo, i would shoot farther away. Ricochets are real, and people do get hurt from them all the time.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Practicing from draw then aiming down at the ground seems like a training issue. I have sticks that hold clay pigeons that I use at the conservation club for draw shoot excercises. I prefer to put paper plates on a 1x2 at centermass height tho. I can see the holes at 10 yards no problem esp with a splatter target on it. I don't see many times that you would need to draw defensively and shoot at a crawling target....

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I did indeed... I then left the pistol area to get a rag from my car for the blood, then went to the rifle range to cool off with some long distance shooting... That is where I took the selfie.
    I'm not one to be the fun police, but I'd be tempted to talk to a RO or member committee over negligence like that

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I regularly shoot steel at 10yrds. It only because it is static mounted on a down angle. I used to shoot swinging steel at 10yds but was getting too much splatter when shooting fast and catching the steel in the upswing.
    I ended up mounting them directly to the wood at a slight angle down. I left one hanging on a chain. I marked out 21 feet for paper targets, soup cans, clay pigeons. Then I marked out a blue line at 40 feet for shooting the steel. I think that should do it. Besides what can it hurt getting to be better at longer distances.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If you have a 12" tall backstop, I'd ditto the response with the paper plated stapled to cardboard torso at chest level. Easy to see, easy to shoot at, easy to determine hit/miss. No danger of splatter. It's a winner all around.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Practicing from draw then aiming down at the ground seems like a training issue. I have sticks that hold clay pigeons that I use at the conservation club for draw shoot excercises. I prefer to put paper plates on a 1x2 at centermass height tho. I can see the holes at 10 yards no problem esp with a splatter target on it. I don't see many times that you would need to draw defensively and shoot at a crawling target....
    Ground Hogs no kidding

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I've never had any issue shooting steel plates from short distances if they're free hanging on a chain. The round generally deflects down into the ground directly behind the target. Teaching the kids to shoot has been another issue altogether as the shooting lane sits directly between the barn and field, with another field directly behind, and the kids tend to pass on the plate and mow the corn down behind it. I'm looking to hang a larger, and thus heavier, plate, but my concern then is that I'll need to contend with more ricochets or splatter...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

When Kodiak first opened, I met Fred at the Michigan City gun show.
    he informed me about their training classes. he gave me the ordering information for frangible 9mm from Sportman's guide.
    I ordered 1000 rounds. I took two of their classes and used the frangible. Again when I shot at their steel range.
    I used about half when John told me I did not have to shoot frangible any more at the steel.
    Same shooting the "shoot house". I even shot my 357 nonfrangible.

AS for the 223,556 I never understand why people just have to get away with something. I know, It is not their's that is being destroyed.
    But touch their car or track mud into their house. You will have hell to pay.

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    I took a firearms class at Kodiak range in South Bend, In.
    they used steel targets. There was a lot of spatter even with frangible bullets.
    We were shooting from 10 to 30 feet.
    they had one range Dedicated to steel targets.
    They shut it down, NO reason given.

We took down the steel targets to allow FMJ. Most folks didn't like the cost or how the frangible shoot through their firearms. This allowed us to use "normal" ammuntion on the ranges. We have done many changes to the facility, to include expanding the gun shop to better serve the public.

John E. Pemberton
    Kodiak Manager/Chief Instructor

vinconco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2015
    Potomac Highlands
    I have this setup to limit frags and it actually collects most of the spall. Plate hangs from a short chain at a downward angle. Hangs on a T post that can be pounded in the ground or placed in this stand for indoor use. Great for indoor ranges to reduce ceiling and wall damage and cleanup.

qXOnRUE.jpg
    44upwik.jpg

Top Bottom