• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I shoot at a public range, and I've always saved my brass, along with whatever else is laying around my bench.

Now that I'm reloading, and going through it more thoroughly, it's been kind of fun to see what turns up. I have a container for "Misc" and I get the odd .38 Super Auto, .45 GAP, and 10 mm.

But twice now, when I was inspecting 9mm, I've found a total of 8 that were bulged out from apparently being fired from a .40 cal.

My questions are:

Is that very common with range brass?

And, wouldn't you notice if you fired a 9mm from a .40 after the first round?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's very common when the range is used by stupid people who cannot read the caliber on their guns or the box the ammo came in. The biggest problem is people who dump all of their guns and ammo on the bench and then randomly load the wrong ammo into the wrong gun or let some newbie load magazines for them with 4 or 5 open boxes setting on the bench. What could possibly go wrong?. One gun - one box of ammo at a time - unless you really enjoy visiting the nice folks at the emergency room.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    More common than one would like. Remember that when you are standing at a public range surrounded by people next time. I've found 9 shot in 40 and some 40 shot in 45.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Reason I only shoot alone. That and repeatedly being muzzle swept. Love it when I am down range and hear actions being racked.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I shoot at a public range, and I've always saved my brass, along with whatever else is laying around my bench.

Now that I'm reloading, and going through it more thoroughly, it's been kind of fun to see what turns up. I have a container for "Misc" and I get the odd .38 Super Auto, .45 GAP, and 10 mm.

But twice now, when I was inspecting 9mm, I've found a total of 8 that were bulged out from apparently being fired from a .40 cal.

My questions are:

Is that very common with range brass?

And, wouldn't you notice if you fired a 9mm from a .40 after the first round?

1)I've picked up tons of range brass and I've never seen that. I've seen a few bulges but that's more due to "Glock Bulge" than a wrong caliber situation.

2)You'd think yes, but then again common sense isn't as common as we'd like it to be.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    1)I've picked up tons of range brass and I've never seen that. I've seen a few bulges but that's more due to "Glock Bulge" than a wrong caliber situation.

2)You'd think yes, but then again common sense isn't as common as we'd like it to be.

Heres some .40 that launched out of a .45 that I managed to pick up at a public range

r79oax.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Heres some .40 that launched out of a .45 that I managed to pick up at a public range

r79oax.jpg

Nice to know when SHTF it will work as a universal round. :rolleyes:

The worst I've ever seen was when someone loaded up some +P+ 9mm in a Taurus PT92. It bulged the side of the case out pretty bad where it was unsupported. It looked like a pregnant case when stood on it's base.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I shot with a buddy for about 2 hours one day. I wasn't really looking at his target so didn't care too much. Finally, he said, "Do you think something is wrong with my gun--look at my target." All of his rounds had been keyholing all day. It took about 30 seconds to realize he had been firing 9mm through his .40 for about 2 hours. No feeding problems whatsoever.

I filed that away to know in an apocalypse gun fight, if there are 9mms around, I can shoot them in my .40 :)

Top Bottom