• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I've got a long gun I am considering scoping, and I have been told that for a quick shot in low light conditions a red dot scope is a good idea. In addition to the red dots, what other kind of scopes are good for a quick shot in low light situations? There are some terms I've heard tossed around that I'm unsure of the technical meaning, for instance "illuminated reticle" (is this as simple as it sounds?) could anyone enlighten me as to its meaning? Also, (this may be more general to all scopes) is there any significance to the diameter of the optic and how it affects the general use, i.e. does a large diameter optic have any advantages over a smaller one? I also understand that there is a great range in the price of the red dots, does anyone have one they like that isn't too expensive? The Leatherwoods seem to be pretty inexpensive, does anybody have any warnings about them? The Truglo red dot also is inexpensive, does anybody out there have any experience with those? Thanks

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My Truglo TG8030B has been fine. Our MC Sports currently has them on sale for $29.99 and they have a lifetime warranty. My theory on these is - either go cheap or go all the way. Nothing in between makes sense. But that's just my opinion for my particular uses.

One thing to keep in mind is that many (most?) of the 1x red dots just have a straight tube and only about 95% light transmittance. So, there's no light gathering/"amplification". Low light situations with a red dot won't be any better than your naked eyes are capable of. You keep both eyes open and the dot will be superimposed on the target. There is a low light range where you'll only see the target with your "weak" eye, because the red dot is soaking up or reflecting the rest of the light that would be available to your strong eye (looking thru the optic), but the dot will still be superimposed on the target by your brain. Whatever light range this is, it is the practical limit for these things unless you have NVG and a NV compatible optic. (Which is, not surprisingly, at a higher price point.)

In this borderline light range, a low power scope with a large objective lens may actually be better (due to gathering more light), especially if the reticle is illuminated. And yes, "illuminated reticle" is about as simple as it sounds, although which parts are illuminated and how they are illuminated will vary.

Personally, I don't think there's much difference between, say, the 30 mm red dots (like the Truglo) and a 50 mm like the Leatherwood because one uses these with BOTH eyes. Yes, the 50 mm has a larger FOV, but one doesn't look through these optics with only one eye like one does through a scope so the larger FOV doesn't matter much in my experience (like it WOULD if you were only looking through the optic with ONE eye). A larger diameter does give you a little more room to play with as far as co-witnessing the optic with backup iron sights if that's something you want to do.

Optics can be pretty application specific. Red dots even compete with tritium night sights in certain situations.

Here's an article that discusses some issues that may be helpful.
    Fighting Optics for the AR-15

Last edited:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    First, you need to give a bit more info. What are you putting this sight on? What do you want to do with it?

If you do a search, there's probably about 20 or 30 different threads on various sighting options, and specific scopes. I would also recommend you follow the link in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/13240-fighting_carbine_optics_for_the_ar-15_a.html

and read the article.

Just remember, with optics, the price difference really does make a difference in quality, and service life for your hardware.

Tinman....

Top Bottom