• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    I am looking for a concealment holster and have heard/read great things about the Crossbreed Supertuck, but it looks so big. While searching for holsters, I ran across the High Noon Holsters. They appear to be high quality and much more compact.

What are the advantages of going with one of the larger holsters like the Supertuck? I don't want to end up buying multiple holsters, so I really appreciate your input!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    One of the big advantages is they spread the weight of the gun out more, plus they tend to be more stable, so there is not so much movement. I don't have the supertuck (but have also heard good things also), but I do have the MTAC from Comp-Tac and its a great holster. Very comfortable, plus you can just change out the kydex shell if you want to use it for multiple guns. Here is a link,

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    If you have a Glock or XD you can buy one holster for a full frame, and the subcompacts will fit in the same Crossbreed. I carry my XDm in one...if I'm not OC'ing.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    One of the big advantages is they spread the weight of the gun out more, plus they tend to be more stable, so there is not so much movement.

I agree. I carry a full sized 1911 in one and I don't know it's there!

I have noticed 2 problems:

1. The rear clip has bent out from sitting and won't hang on too well until I bend it back.

2. While sitting and then drawing (practicing IDPA) the mag release kept getting pressed by the leather on draw. You can't really get your thumb around the grip until you get the gun about half way out of the holster. (So I'm not hitting it with my thumb on draw.

Don't get me wrong... I really like it, but these 2 problems have just manifested themselves in the last 2 weeks.

For comfort and concealment it's hard to beat.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have noticed 2 problems:

1. The rear clip has bent out from sitting and won't hang on too well until I bend it back.

2. While sitting and then drawing (practicing IDPA) the mag release kept getting pressed by the leather on draw. You can't really get your thumb around the grip until you get the gun about half way out of the holster. (So I'm not hitting it with my thumb on draw.

Don't get me wrong... I really like it, but these 2 problems have just manifested themselves in the last 2 weeks.

For comfort and concealment it's hard to beat.

Are you kidding?

So let me get this straight, you're trusting you life to a holster that you cannot even get a proper firing grip on the gun before you partially remove it from the holster?

On top of that, the clips won't even keep the holster in your pants when you try and draw?

Does anyone but me see a real problem with recommending this as a concealment holster?

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of thing is just absurd to me. My life is worth more to me than a few dollars more on a quality rig that will last, my life is worth more than a little discomfort from a holstered pistol. I don’t want to “forget it’s there” it’s a constant reminder not forget the goal, go home tonight.

If you really want “comfort” go with the Plexican carry, no leather or kydex, nothing to add size or weight to the gun. Of course there is that little issue with retention, and ND’s in your shorts, but it was comfortable until then.

Here’s what I would consider the minimum for a quality carry holster:

· Completely covers the trigger guard preventing an ND
    · Allows a full firing grip prior to draw
    · Retains the pistol under vigorous activity
    ·
    Presents the pistol at a favorable angle for your drawstroke
    · Stays where you put it on the belt
    · Doesn’t have sharp edges and things to gig me

Notice how the comfort doesn’t come into play until after the functional conditions.

I have no experience with the Supertuck, but I know the guys over at MDFI (TFin04 and Steve_MI) have seen a bunch lately that required some shall we say, field expedient mods to be functional. I’d probably talk with them.

For me:
    Appendix carry: Raven ACR
    IWB: Milt Sparks HRT-Limited, or a reconfigured ACR
    OWB Leather: Sparks NLG, Kramer, or Sherrick
    OWB Kydex: Raven Phantom

Tinman....

Last edited:

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the collective knowledge. I know that it ultimately comes down to a personal preference. It seems that there are a few more that I need to research.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ignoring comfort in a holster that has to deep conceal a handgun for, in my case, 13 hours a day is unrealistic, IMHO. An uncomfortable holster is one that won't be worn, and that means no gun on the body. Demanding the ability to get a full grip on a gun that must remain concealed under nothing more than a dress shirt is all fine and dandy. Find me one that allows a full grip that conceals as well as my Kholster for my XD9sc, and I'll be more than glad to check it out... but it simply MUST keep the gun hidden. Keeping the gun absolutely hidden under nothing more than a dress shirt, comfortable enough for 13 hours in a chair at a computer, are my priorities. Wearing a jacket would be extremely conspicuous, and would simply scream "Joe is carrying a gun" since I'm not exactly silent about guns to begin with. Without those two items, I cannot carry a gun four out of seven days. It would be sitting in my car, not on my hip. At least I could get a full combat grip on the gun once I get to it under my car seat...

For the OP, I'd recommend checking out the KHolster. Cheaper than the Crossbreed, I've been carrying it for about a month. It's comfortable, conceals very effectively, the gun is where I want it. It carries very tight to the body, it is hard to get a grip on the gun till I've started it out of the holster, it's not what I carry when I don't have to have the gun concealed, or when having a concealed gun noticed would have highly undesirable consequences. But, when I do HAVE to keep the presence of a gun a secret, it's my first choice. I had serious doubts about the holster when I first saw, but I am now convinced. It's got pluses and minuses, but in the end it enables me to have an effective fighting gun on my side instead of in the car. It's not a quick draw holster, but there are better choices for that.

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    I am looking for a concealment holster and have heard/read great things about the Crossbreed Supertuck, but it looks so big. While searching for holsters, I ran across the High Noon Holsters. They appear to be high quality and much more compact.

What are the advantages of going with one of the larger holsters like the Supertuck? I don't want to end up buying multiple holsters, so I really appreciate your input!

I was also wary of the super tuck because I when I saw it I thought it would be like having a a frisbee stuck in my pants. I havent tried one yet but check out the comp-tac MTAC holstesr. I have heard good things about them and plan on picking one up when they come out with a model for the PT709.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Are you kidding?

So let me get this straight, you're trusting you life to a holster that you cannot even get a proper firing grip on the gun before you partially remove it from the holster?

No I'm not kidding. I compete like I carry. I am trusting my life AND winning my division (Saturday) all in one very nice holster! :D

There are faster holsters and maybe safer holsters. The Crossbreed folks even tell you about the speed of draw and offer another holster that has less leather for easier draw. It is not as comfortable. I like to carry a full sized 1911 and not print. That's not an easy task but I pull it off with my Crossbreed.

You will notice I said nothing about fumbling, bumbling or stumbling on the draw. My thumb can rest right on the safety (but not any deeper) and that makes for a nice quick draw. I don't want a complete grip on the gun as I draw. I want my thumb on the safety so I can disengage it as I see fit.

I wasn't saying the holster is for everyone. But I love mine. The mag release issue did not happen last weekend from the sitting position, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Believe me... if I ditch the thing, I'll be the first to tell all of you and consider your advice on something else. :n00b:

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    One last question. Have you guys seen the Crossbreed or MTAC at the 1500? I mean for sale, I assume there are a lot of them in use!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I ordered my Crossbread a few days ago. I am pleased to hear you all got your fairly quick. Their web site says 2 to 3 weeks.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I was recently in your exact position, but had tried several holster configurations over the past few years that I didn't care for. (None of which are mentioned here.) I was between the few that you have mentioned, and chose to go with the MTAC. I ordered it online (haven't seen them at any events) and it arrived about 10 days later. I am thrilled with the comfort, retention, and concealment. I have not tried the others you have mentioned, but would certainly vouch for the MTAC, even with its cost being a little higher. I went ahead and ordered both black and tan clips to go with my typical work attire, as I have to dress up most of the time, and with a brown/black belt the setup becomes nearly invisible.

My :twocents:...but again, have no experience with the others.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    I just ordered an MTAC neutral cant (appendix carry) for the HK P7PSP. We'll see how it works out. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Top Bottom