KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Every county in Indiana has a Veteran Service Officer (VSO) to assist. Find yours, make an appointment, and discuss. This would be at no cost to you. I am skeptical of paid services for VA claims.
    ^^This!!!^^

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Without disclosing any information you don't want to, what in general is your issue?

I was somewhat frustrated with my first award, and I submitted a request for a "de novo review". This was a long time ago, but as I remeber it, you're allowed 3 appeals to a VA decision. The de novo review is kind of a loophole. It's not an appeal, it's just a request to have someone else review your claim. I provided my reasoning for why I think the rating was applied incorrectly, and got a bump from 40% to 60%. I guess I made a pretty good case.

You have to dig into the regs and get a good understanding of them before you try to counter them. Don't rely on someone else to do it for you if you can help it. You can get a lot done by yourself if you apply yourself.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    And before anyone starts in about how VA disability compensation is a scam, let me clue you in on a few things.

First, VA disability compensation is just that, compensation for a disability that you incurred during your period of service, or became aggravated during your period of service. It is not related in any way to your ability to work in any vocation. It has nothing to do with your ability to work and earn a living. It is about compensating you for the pain, suffering, and limitations you will deal with for the rest of your life. That's all.

Second, I know many disabled vets who would forgo every cent if they could be made whole again. I know I would. My main disability is my knees. I had a partial tear of my MCL that went misdiagnosed for almost 7 years *. By the time it was properly diagnosed, I had wrecked my other knee by compensating for the injured one. I can't walk very far now before my knees ache to the point where I need to sit down for a while. Big deal, right? Well, when you're out with family and friends going to walk a pier, or a mall, or a zoo, and you have to quit before the fun is over and go sit in the car and miss out on the experience... do you think the money is worth that? Or how about the fact that I can't even walk long enough to mow my own lawn without limping around for 2 or 3 days after, so I just pay someone to do it for me now? (It's a big lawn with steep hills.)

Third, I don't want to hear about how your chosen vocation doesn't have that kind of compensation program. That's a problem with your profession, not mine.

Fourth, and finally, yes, there are scammers. I've heard them discussing their angles. PTSD is pretty easy to claim apparently. ED is another one. I've not claimed anything that wasn't true, and I just want just compensation for the injuries I incurred. You can't denigrate the system over the scammers to the detriment of the people who truly were injured, and seek no more compensation than they deserve. I mean, that would be like saying we should ban all guns because a small percentage use them for their own evil ends, wouldn't it?

I'm sure you've forgotten about that asterisk I posted earlier, so I'm going to remind you now before the postscript comes.

* What do you call someone who finished last in their class in medical school? Captain. :cool:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have filed my own claims and have been successful. Like what @Sigblaster stated learn the system yourself. Nobody cares more about your claim than you.

Brad’s VA tips

1. Read your Service Medical records look for things you were “diagnosed“ with. Don’t attempt to claim things that didn’t happen the VA doesn’t like that.

2. Use buddy/lay statements keep them clear and to the point. This helps reviewer narrow down what to look at. List the dates you received treatment and where.

3. If you have med records outside the VA/Mil system obtain them yourself and submit with you claim.

4. Attend any C&P appointments the VA sets up for you. Be honest with the Dr. It’s not the time to complain about the VA. Tell the Dr what it’s like on a bad day.

5. If you are in the VA system you need to see the VA Dr about every six months. This will provide a record in case your conditions get worse.

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    I found my exit physical from ‘89 where I complained about asthma, chest pains, indigestion, sinus issues. I was prescribed a n inhaler while I was in Sicily, volcanic ash issues.

Since then I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, ins, constant sinus issues, had colon surgery and a heart attack.

I know one issue can lead to another and don’t know where to start as primary and secondary etc.

We’ll see what vso says, may still go with a service.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am not a VSO but I have assisted several vets with claims. So take my advice as a layman.

@Floki I would do a fully developed claim online.
    This would be for the issues on your exit physical all would be primary claims. Write a statement in support of you claim for each condition VA form 21-4138. Don’t forget tinnitus you definitely need to claim that it’s based on your MOS.

This will get you into the Va system they will match you up in the record system. Set you up for some C&P appointments.

After your first round with the VA you can work on Secondary issues. Like Allergic rhinitis can cause sleep apnea. The key is having a VA Doc treat you for the issue. Then submit a secondary claim sleep apnea secondary to allergic rhinitis.

In reality a paid service cannot do anything more than you can at this point. They are helpful in complex situations which yours is not. I bet you can get it submitted in a couple of hours.

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    I am not a VSO but I have assisted several vets with claims. So take my advice as a layman.

@Floki I would do a fully developed claim online.
    This would be for the issues on your exit physical all would be primary claims. Write a statement in support of you claim for each condition VA form 21-4138. Don’t forget tinnitus you definitely need to claim that it’s based on your MOS.

This will get you into the Va system they will match you up in the record system. Set you up for some C&P appointments.

After your first round with the VA you can work on Secondary issues. Like Allergic rhinitis can cause sleep apnea. The key is having a VA Doc treat you for the issue. Then submit a secondary claim sleep apnea secondary to allergic rhinitis.

In reality a paid service cannot do anything more than you can at this point. They are helpful in complex

situations which yours is not. I bet you can get it submitted in a couple of hours.
    Solid gold, wish I could talk to you live

Top Bottom