• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Do you guys still use CBs or do you prefer some newer form of technology. I ask because I found my old hand-held CB radio the other night in some moving boxes. I figured WTF and put some batteries in it and turned it on. I listened for about an hour hearing zero chatter.

Back in the day. I use to hear chat on channel 19 all of the time. I even live closer to the interstate then before. I figure with cell phones and all that normal people don't use the CB any more but do the hardcore truckers still use it? Is it worth throwing back in my car? Or should I invest in one of those newer band personal "family" radios?

ETA: the newer bands are GMRS and FRS, right?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I suggest buying a new used CB radio that's made for the car. I suggest that as i'm selling one in the ads section! Unless you have a linear amp cb's are just a line of sight radio. If you can't see the truckers you probably can't hear them unless they've juiced there radio's. I'm sure if you went on 465 with your handheld you'd hear all kinds of traffic.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I am basically just wanting to use it for traffic conditions, speed traps, intel while on the road. My handheld is nice to be honest. Car DC adapter, external antenna and such. I think its both 1 and 4 watt.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    CB's are still used. Got one in my Pete. A lot of places have CB's to tell you where to go and drop loads and also so you can give info without getting out if the truck.

jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Still got one in my truck. Also have one in my car. Since your in TH try channel 3 and I think 15. KR drenth and the landfill are always using them.

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    My buddy who drives for Conway said they use channel 12 or 16 "not sure", not all truckers use 19 anymore.

Related question: Do police still monitor 19 or any channel for emergency calls?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I thought it was 9 as well for emergencies, or 7? Dang it, it's been a while!

When I drove, I don't put a ton of stock into "trucker tales" of cops monitoring the channels. They have better things to do, like watch DVDs on their laptops while sitting on the roadside looking like they are radaring stuff! :D

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Channel 9 is the emergency channel. Police officers do still moniter the CB, talk to a state boy two weeks ago and decided to run some numbers based on what he heard on the CB. Most truckers run with them off because of what it has become in recent years. There is so much foul language, bad attitudes, CB rambo's, and other non family oriented stuff being said. I have found that most of the time you will not hear about the speed traps on the CB unless you are on a state road. Different sections of the US use different channels. The west coast runs channel 13 for some reasons. Most other places run 19. Quebeck runs channel 11. There again I don't really know why. I get around in a truck. The longest I have run with a CB on and not heard anything on it was five days. Not a single peep out of anyone.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I thought it was 9 as well for emergencies, or 7? Dang it, it's been a while!

When I drove, I don't put a ton of stock into "trucker tales" of cops monitoring the channels. They have better things to do, like watch DVDs on their laptops while sitting on the roadside looking like they are radaring stuff! :D
    the buckeye patrol still listens to ch. 9

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Channel 9 is the emergency channel. Police officers do still moniter the CB, talk to a state boy two weeks ago and decided to run some numbers based on what he heard on the CB. Most truckers run with them off because of what it has become in recent years. There is so much foul language, bad attitudes, CB rambo's, and other non family oriented stuff being said. I have found that most of the time you will not hear about the speed traps on the CB unless you are on a state road. Different sections of the US use different channels. The west coast runs channel 13 for some reasons. Most other places run 19. Quebeck runs channel 11. There again I don't really know why. I get around in a truck. The longest I have run with a CB on and not heard anything on it was five days. Not a single peep out of anyone.
    west coast listens to 13 bcuz of the 'skip' that 19 generates from the east coast.

side note...I have a couple of Galavy 44s if anyone is interested, plus other items too!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a real old one. I can even remember the brand right not but it only has 23 channel not 40 and it is strong without the AMP. It also has single side band. I think it was out of my step grandfather mobile home via 1974 or so. It is BIG so I use a little one in my van a Uniden. Do I use it much no. Can I talk on my old one and get heard a long way away YES. Much further than line of sight. With skip and the AMp I can hit islands in the atlantic. I do not think the AMP is legal item but not sure. I know a neighbor with a old organ with tubes in it could hear me talk as a kid on her organ with the organ power off.
    Heck the FCC has much more to do than mess with cb's anymore which is why you hear the foul mouths.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I have a real old one. I can even remember the brand right not but it only has 23 channel not 40 and it is strong without the AMP. It also has single side band. I think it was out of my step grandfather mobile home via 1974 or so. It is BIG so I use a little one in my van a Uniden. Do I use it much no. Can I talk on my old one and get heard a long way away YES. Much further than line of sight. With skip and the AMp I can hit islands in the atlantic. I do not think the AMP is legal item but not sure. I know a neighbor with a old organ with tubes in it could hear me talk as a kid on her organ with the organ power off.
    Heck the FCC has much more to do than mess with cb's anymore which is why you hear the foul mouths.
    I'd be sitting out in my parents drvway b4 I got married, and they could hear me thru their tv. They had cable, but I don't know all the in/outs as to why they were able to hear me, just not the other side of the conversation.....they prolly thought I was talking to myself like always/.

My 1st cb was a GE 23 channel, but it didn't work as well as yours tho.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Yes truckers still use cb radios. They are really nice to have at times, very annoying at others. People will blast there radio and broadcast it over the cb, or scream or make other noises just to be a general pain in the ass.

Top Bottom