Question about hi-cap magazines if there is a ban?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    A fellow INGO'er and I were talking today and he brought up an idea. In a 30rd 5.56 PMAG, exactly 10 .458 SOCOM rounds fit perfectly in it. If there was a ban, could companies make 10 round .458 SOCOM mags? and consumers just happened to put 5.56 into them, would they be considered an illegal magazine?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Sounds like a plan to me. Would look nice with the Taurus Judge, the existence of which is laughing in the face of the ATF. "It just happens to chamber .410"

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Hmmmmmmm.......This is one to think on a bit. I wander if they would require some sort of modification to make the mag feed .458 only. I'm not sure what that would be, but just a thought. My guess is there will be lots of crazy things said and done regarding this issue.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    A fellow INGO'er and I were talking today and he brought up an idea. In a 30rd 5.56 PMAG, exactly 10 .458 SOCOM rounds fit perfectly in it. If there was a ban, could companies make 10 round .458 SOCOM mags? and consumers just happened to put 5.56 into them, would they be considered an illegal magazine?

Shhhhh, don't tell everything you know. ;)

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I've been told it would go something like this:

Manufacturers would be forced to stamp or ID the mag as being .458 SOCOM. As long as its used for that you'd be fine. If you happened to have a mix up and load 28 rds of 5.56 in there, you'd be illegal at that point.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I've been told it would go something like this:

Manufacturers would be forced to stamp or ID the mag as being .458 SOCOM. As long as its used for that you'd be fine. If you happened to have a mix up and load 28 rds of 5.56 in there, you'd be illegal at that point.

which of course, is more important than the illegal search and seizure required to FIND OUT

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    I thought the same idea and started a thread a few weeks ago about it and didn't get one reply. I just figured not too many were familiar with the 458 SOCOM.

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    The manufacturer of the magazines would probably be required to label them in some way to specify it as .458 and at that point if you're caught with a different caliber loaded in it other than its labeled for would probably be a chargeable offense of some sort. All this is totally hypothetical and highly unlikely as nothing has been put forth yet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom