• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • payton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Greenwod
    what are some decent churchs who value religion and not the all mighty dollar?
    im not tryin to start any trouble its an honest question. ive attended a few in the area and well lets just say i wasnt impressed. with there attitude towards money..

payton

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Always a challenge to find a church that fits. We are looking for one around here. We go to Christian Missionary Alliance, and there aren't any in Crawfordsville. Perhaps we'll just drive on up to Lafayette.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Money is a concern for ANY church; it's hard to keep a ministry going and cover overhead if you don't have any income. That said, I've been to a few churches where it seemed like every other weekend was a fund-raiser or "capital campaign."

My wife is a member at Chapel Hill United Methodist on the west side, and I occasionally attend services there as well. They recently got a new (better) pastor and music director, which has improved the quality of the services quite a bit. They are also very welcoming in general, even to folks who do not attend regularly. My wife got a "shepherding" call the other day - someone had noticed she hadn't been to services lately and was calling on behalf of the church to make sure everything was OK. To my surprise, the gal never once mentioned money.
    Chapel Hill United Methodist Church

My dad was the business manager at St. Monica Catholic Church on the northwest side for a number of years. That's where my wife and I were married. The diverse makeup of the congregation there and the enthusiasm of those present at the services always impressed me - most Catholic churches just ain't like that, IME.
    St. Monica Parish Indianapolis - St. Monica Website

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Peyton,

Your topic touches on a sensitive area for most churches. They sometimes get things out of order. Salvation and growth in Christ is the primary goal of the church. Once that is established, grateful giving and support of the ministry will flow naturally.

Finding a church home can be a stressful process. It's important for you to prayerfully find the church you belong in. Don't pick a church for its location, size, gym, or other physical attributes. Let God lead you to the right place.

You are welcome to visit the church I help pastor. It's Faith Deliverance Church, 1206 East Hamilton Avenue, Franklin, IN. Services are 10:00 am Sundays and 7:00 pm Wednesdays. We are a small congregation, independent, full Gospel. We believe in the Word of God and His direction for each person today.

I hope that you find your church home wherever that is.

dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    church

Finding a church can be difficult; we looked for a long time and found community church of Murphy’s landing on the south side. The church is located Just south of Southport rd on bluff.
    Just a couple of things I would ask you to keep in mind. Churches will periodically preach on stewardship. This is necessary to keep the church alive and running. Without going into all of the scripture behind that I am sure you understand. The second thing is that a lot of people will claim a church is not meeting their needs. These are typically the same (not implying you) people who show up once or twice a month and do not actively participate in the church. Keep in mind a church is made up of people like you and I just trying to find a place to worship and connect with others. You will only get out of a church what you are willing to put in to it. ßthis is what I have discovered anyway.
    If you get a chance stop in and visit our church we would love to have you.
    On a lighter note a few of us have talked about putting together a shooting ministry J I think it will fly as it gets warmer

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife and I have attended Mt. Pleasant Christian Church (Mount Pleasant Christian Church) for several years now. (Intersection of Fairview & Bluff in far western Greenwood...almost to SR 37)

And, also not to start anything, but Jesus spoke more about "money" than about heaven or hell combined.

Money, and how we use it, was (and is) mighty important in the life of a Believer.

-J-

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    We used to attend Eagle Church in Whitestown and all they talked about was giving money...I mean all the time. We finally quit going. Another thing I dislike about churches is the attitude by some members (The I'm holyer than thou) and the hypocritical things going on. We were told by several people to look at Oasis Church. Wow, I look forward to going every week. Great music and their motto is "Come as you are" So i wear a tshirt and jeans and of course the Glock or the Kahr. Oasis is in Jamestown on Mill st. As far as money goes the Preacher (Tim 25 years old) sometimes forgets about offering. I absolutely love the Church and Jesus definately lives there. Their new website is not up yet.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I attend Christ United Methodist Church on 31 and stop 12 on the southwest corner. The service I'm with has offering jars placed by the food table instead of passing around a collection plate. Feel free to visit us as well. The Thirst service is at 11 AM on sunday morning. If you come, I'll be the guy playing drums with the band. If you're into music, also check out our myspace music page. Moving Mountains Band on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads I'm not the guy playing in the music on the page though, as I just recently joined them. It's a casual, laid back service. Jeans and T-shirts are ok. :)

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    I would suggest at least once you check out The Creek. It is an independent Christian Church and is right across the street from Franklin High School on the south side.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I only go on Easter and usually only get shook down for a couple bucks. Most of the time I watch Joel Osteen on DVR and fast forward through the parts where they ask for money.

I'd rather send the money to the "Feed the children in America" or buy a food basket and put some cash in an envelope and annonymously give it to someone I know that needs a little help.

I never understood sending money to feed people in other countries when WE have starving kids in the U.S.A.

Im wierd.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    The thing is with the offering though, is that's what pays the bills. The electricity and heat for the church, the sound equipment, the bibles and hymnals. The salaries for the pastors. So on and so forth. The Bible speaks of giving your tithe to God. Ten percent of what you make is to be given. God also says that whatever you give you will be blessed and receive much much more. It's the only time in the bible where God tells us to test him in this. The church I go to doesn't emphasize this very much. We believe that people come to hear Gods word and their faith will put it on their hearts to tithe. The service I'm in is geared more towards people searching for a church for the first time who may not be to keen on sitting in a pew.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Peyton,

Your topic touches on a sensitive area for most churches. They sometimes get things out of order. Salvation and growth in Christ is the primary goal of the church. Once that is established, grateful giving and support of the ministry will flow naturally.

Finding a church home can be a stressful process. It's important for you to prayerfully find the church you belong in. Don't pick a church for its location, size, gym, or other physical attributes. Let God lead you to the right place.

You are welcome to visit the church I help pastor. It's Faith Deliverance Church, 1206 East Hamilton Avenue, Franklin, IN. Services are 10:00 am Sundays and 7:00 pm Wednesdays. We are a small congregation, independent, full Gospel. We believe in the Word of God and His direction for each person today.

I hope that you find your church home wherever that is.

Just wanted to thank you for this beautiful, eloquent post. :) My hat is off to you.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    My wife and I have attended Mt. Pleasant Christian Church (Mount Pleasant Christian Church) for several years now. (Intersection of Fairview & Bluff in far western Greenwood...almost to SR 37)

And, also not to start anything, but Jesus spoke more about "money" than about heaven or hell combined.

Money, and how we use it, was (and is) mighty important in the life of a Believer.

-J-

We also attend MPCC. We've been there for a year and a half or so. Our kids love it and we are really getting involved in some of the adult stuff. We'd bounced around a couple places after we moved to Indy. My wife's family all attend Greenwood First Baptist, and we liked it there, but it was a haul from our place at Southport & 37. We started going to MPCC and did the Financial Peace University class last spring. We feel that we've really found a home, now. We became members in November. I was re-baptized, and immediately after that, water still dripping into my eyes, I baptized my daughter. That was pretty special.

Like many have said before, money is always a big issue for churches. MPCC has a ton of ministries, everything from the preschool on site, to mission trips to El Salvador, Kenya, and Poland. Money for those things needs to come from somewhere. The key is to be 'a joyful giver', and a 'good steward'. FPU taught us that.

To the OP:
    Good luck in your search. Feel free to PM me or email any questions. I'll try to answer as best I can.

Top Bottom