• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    With such modularity in rifle platforms these days, it's important to go beyond the "I upgraded" it and assuming it will work when needed. Case in point:

A reconfiguration of rifle furniture led to a need for QD mount. When sizing the sling, I naturally pulled in my elbow and put tension. The QD loop immediately started bending. NICHT! A high stress point that would be a real problem if gave way at a bad time. I had a Troy QD laying about (thanks Spiceboi!) and promptly swapped it. Not sure where original came from. Aftermarket as the MS1 sling did not come with attachment points when I bought it new.

This is not a sales pitch. I've had good luck with "lesser" brands. I've made whole threads about finding something good for cheap. It's not about the rollmark, pricetag, or latest offering. The point is, be mindful of something's intended purpose and how it performs under duress. Train, test, evaluate, and learn. These wrinkles must be ironed before the show starts.

Pictured is angle of stress and difference in part. Troy QD on left, other on right. The coating vs paint is night and day.
    965725749d03c3cc164fdd67e509ab79.jpg
    8acad7cf210cea37f560ab380935f002.jpg

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Wait, I'm supposed to get my fat butt off the couch and actually train with my gear to make sure it works? Balderdash! I'd rather just watch YouTubers do it.
    The only question should be; Which guntuber? Guys that button the top bottom of a collared shirt, or guys that unbutton half the buttons of a collared shirt?

But cerealy, I'm not saying one has to run a ninja warrior course to push it to the limit. Leaving something to popular opinion is a bad way to carry truth. Knowledge and growth are born of failure and experience.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For me, when it comes to a component part like this paying $10 vs $5, though double, it is worth it to get top notch quality. After all in the end it's $5.

Where I may stray from top tier is when the pricing gap gets much larger. I factor that into the intended use and if I don't feel like it warrants the higher investment, I'll opt for the lower cost solution.

I try to be careful though. When I first got into red dots I bought a Holosun because I didn't feel like the RMR was necessary for the pistol's intended purpose. Don't get me wrong, Holosun's are fine, but the RMR I replaced it with just had a much nicer dot to my eyes and I preferred the profile of the RMR. If I had gone RMR from the start I would have saved money.

Another example: some guys on another thread are talking about how great the Atlas bipod is. I looked it up. They do appear to be nice but I was looking at the Magpul one for my 10/22 rifle. I'm sure the Atlas is way superior but is it overkill for my .22? Maybe. My next thoughts will be its a $100 difference. That is not so great a gap to cause me not to consider it.

Now when I bought a dot for my 15-22, I would have liked to get something like the MRO, but I opted for a Romeo5. I just couldn't see the value in that much gap for a plinker .22. $430 vs $115 is too large a gap for this application.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    For me, when it comes to a component part like this paying $10 vs $5, though double, it is worth it to get top notch quality. After all in the end it's $5.

Where I may stray from top tier is when the pricing gap gets much larger. I factor that into the intended use and if I don't feel like it warrants the higher investment, I'll opt for the lower cost solution.

I try to be careful though. When I first got into red dots I bought a Holosun because I didn't feel like the RMR was necessary for the pistol's intended purpose. Don't get me wrong, Holosun's are fine, but the RMR I replaced it with just had a much nicer dot to my eyes and I preferred the profile of the RMR. If I had gone RMR from the start I would have saved money.

Another example: some guys on another thread are talking about how great the Atlas bipod is. I looked it up. They do appear to be nice but I was looking at the Magpul one for my 10/22 rifle. I'm sure the Atlas is way superior but is it overkill for my .22? Maybe. My next thoughts will be its a $100 difference. That is not so great a gap to cause me not to consider it.

Now when I bought a dot for my 15-22, I would have liked to get something like the MRO, but I opted for a Romeo5. I just couldn't see the value in that much gap for a plinker .22. $430 vs $115 is too large a gap for this application.
    I agree that cost is a big factor for me, but I try to stay objective in weighing cost vs merit. I simply can't afford the best, but that doesn't mean all things are created equal. I spend most of my considerations on how "valuable" the item is to the overall success of the intended use. Corners can afford to be cut depending on why, and the severity of the consequences.

The important thing is; don't take anything for granted. You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know it. I have a knack for learning the hard way, but I'm getting better. Reckon that's why we train. Or should.

Top Bottom