• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So, we took the wife's brand new PX4 Storm Sub-Compact out to shoot today and it functioned perfectly and she loved it... expect for the fact that it was throwing brass back into her face. :S

The pistol is brand new so I am not sure why anything would be broken and cause the problem. We were shooting Federal 9mm through it (The wal-mart stuff) and I also noticed that when I was shooting it the problem happened much less often though wasn't completely gone.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it happened much less often with you vs. your wife...

I'm going out on a small, wispy, thin, half-rotted branch and suggest that it may be the grip with which the handgun is held.

OR it could be that the gun just hasn't "broken in" yet and the recoil spring + ejector spring haven't found their "home" set.

Keep shooting it - pay attention to how it ejects with each different shooter.

-J-

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    My PX4 Compact will occasionally throw high over right shoulder. Never back in my face.
    Watch where the gun goes during recoil.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Have her dry fire it after shooting some live rounds--maybe even don't tell her that the gun is cocked, but not loaded--and see if she is pulling it far to the right. Some people's wrists could bend a lot in anticipation of the recoil, but it usually doesn't show up until they've fires some live rounds. I noticed that I sometimes pull down hard after rapid firing, because my wrists instinctively try and control the recoil.

Also, make sure your arms are fully extended, and elbows are straight. The gun should be too far from the body to eject into the face, even if the ejector is throwing them back at a 45 degree angle.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the advice everyone. After 4 days I was starting to think my question was going to go unanswered.

I will help her work on her grip, as well as making sure not to pull in any direction in anticipation of the recoil. Hopefully this will help.

Since I posted I had a LEO friend of mine fire the weapon since he is the same build as my wife (She is about 5' 5" and I'm about 6' 2") and he was still getting his every so often as I was. Hopefully there will be a trip to the range here soon so we can do some further testing and see what's going on.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you are at an indoor range, the shells could be bouncing off the partition and coming back towards your face. That happens to me frequently, and I usually don't even see the shell until it starts rolling down my neck or shirt, since I'm focused on the front sight/target.

You can certainly try removing and reseating the extractor. There may be a clump of cosmoline under it or something. I think that should be easy to do on a PX4. If it is as similar to a 92fs, then I think there is just a pin to push out. Try youtube.

EDIT: Here is a youtube link to remove the extractor:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxWQtKVxL8[/ame]

Top Bottom