• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    While driving home from the grocery store, I was pulled over for speeding (always forget about those 25 mph zones). This is the first time I've been pulled over while carrying. The officer (Southport PD) approached the car and asked for license and registration. I informed him I am licensed to carry and currently carrying in a shoulder holster ( which was extremely close to my wallet in my TShirt pocket). He told me that's fine and proceeded with his check of the documentation without any further prodding about my weapon. After returning from his car, he informed me that honesty goes a long way with him and he would not be writing me a ticket. Just thought I'd share this positive experience and thank the officer (name unknown) for being a good guy. :rockwoot:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    While driving home from the grocery store, I was pulled over for speeding (always forget about those 25 mph zones). This is the first time I've been pulled over while carrying. The officer (Southport PD) approached the car and asked for license and registration. I informed him I am licensed to carry and currently carrying in a shoulder holster ( which was extremely close to my wallet in my TShirt pocket). He told me that's fine and proceeded with his check of the documentation without any further prodding about my weapon. After returning from his car, he informed me that honesty goes a long way with him and he would not be writing me a ticket. Just thought I'd share this positive experience and thank the officer (name unknown) for being a good guy. :rockwoot:

I just knew you were going to say Southport. I had to remind Mr88GT to keep it below 30 when we went through there this morning to pick up our new bed at Gerdt. And sure enough, he was sitting right there in the church parking lot. As we were leaving, he was pulling back in. We both commented that he was probably returning from nailing someone for speeding. Guess we know who that someone was. :D

Wonderful to hear it was a positive experience. Rep for Southport PD.

Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Why did you inform him? Not being critical, just asking.

Mainly respect and to prevent any problems in the event in the officer is badge heavy, runs my license, and realizes I didn't inform him I may be carrying. And my wallet was next to my gun so again it was mainly a respect thing.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    It's nice to see when a little respect is offered (info that you're carrying), that respect is returned (no prodding about the gun). Keep a closer eye out for those signs, I hate the lurch in your stomach when you see those flashing lights kick on behind you.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Personally, I'm not going to offer the information. When I get pulled over, running my plate will inform him/her that I have a LTCH. If he's worried or curious, he will ask, and I will answer the question truthfully. There is no way I am going to escalate the situation by informing. I will show respect by turning my truck off, opening the window, having my hands on the top of the wheel, being polite & professional. That's it. Period.

I will speak when spoken to. I will offer NOTHING. I will not engage in idle ****-chat. I will not try to talk my way out of a ticket. If I have a ticket coming, I will take it politely. That's it. Period.

(OK, why is the cuss filter hiding c h i t - in ****-chat?

Old Greg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Personally, I'm not going to offer the information. When I get pulled over, running my plate will inform him/her that I have a LTCH. If he's worried or curious, he will ask, and I will answer the question truthfully. There is no way I am going to escalate the situation by informing. I will show respect by turning my truck off, opening the window, having my hands on the top of the wheel, being polite & professional. That's it. Period.

I will speak when spoken to. I will offer NOTHING. I will not engage in idle ****-chat. I will not try to talk my way out of a ticket. If I have a ticket coming, I will take it politely. That's it. Period.

(OK, why is the cuss filter hiding c h i t - in ****-chat?

Normally, I probably wouldn't offer it (more inclined to show my ltch than to inform about my gun) but given it wasn't my car and the close proximity of my wallet to my gun (of course he didnt know that) I figured it wasn't a bad idea. Otherwise, I'd follow similar actions like those you brought up.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This is the way every interaction could go. Lawful carry should not be an issue or lead to disarming for unrelated minor infractions.

Unfortunately, that is not always the case, so I will not inform.

I don't see that as a personal respect issue, since I would be the only one getting their rights violated if that "respect" was not mutually returned.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    The only time I'd inform an officer of my weapon in a traffic stop situation would be if my gun was located near my wallet. Other than that i wouldn't worry about it. Glad to hear that the stop went alright and it's always nice to have a positive experience with police.

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    as a reserve officer it's greatly appreciated when i stop someone and they inform me that their carrying. do i expect it....nope. i live in a small town and i'm sure that most would be surprised at the number of people who carry. even as a reserve LEO the one time i was stopped i sat with my hands on the wheel, waited for the officer, and informed him of who i was, and where my CC was since it was in close proximity to my wallet....and this was to a trooper who stopped my on 37.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    i always tell the cops up front. this happened three times. twice I told them I have pistols in a locked case in the trunk. Then when they wanted to see paperwork which i also had in the trunk, they wouldn't let me get it for them, and then gave me a ticket for not producing the paperwork. so I keep that stuff in the glove box now, even though that's the first place a car theif would look for your registration. The other time, I had a pistol in the storage bin between the front seats, unloaded, which I was honest about when they asked the question, and so they made me stand outside in the cold and wouldn't let me put my hands in my pockets. I will still be honest again in the future though.

I do have a carry permit which I always have on hand to show them by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    My father and brother are both LEOs, one a city cop and the other a deputy sheriff. They have both told me that if you are carrying when pulled over it is always best to be honest and upfront if you are carrying a loaded firearm.

They explained to me, that a lot of the newer LEOs have been trianed to be very cautious during traffic stops. If during a routine stop and officer noticed your weapon, and you did not notify the officer, that might be considered probable cause,to do more like search your car and generally cause you more trouble.

That is just opinions from a couple LEOs that I know and definitley trust. I do understand that all situations will be different and not all will end well. There is also a good chance that if you were stopped and did not notify the officer of your weapon that nothing will be noticed and therefore no problems.

Just my two cents.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    I thought that if I ever get pulled while carrying I'd likely inform the LEO. However, after hearing of mrdave333... experienced, I think I might pass. Don't know that I want to be punished in the cold for exercising my rights to cc.

Top Bottom