• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Officer Jim Reed endorses this technique.

1282269592_4.jpg

Long sleeves and a tie in LA? He must've been a rookie then. Great show, you remember it HM? I was VERY young but I do remember it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Long sleeves and a tie in LA? He must've been a rookie then. Great show, you remember it HM? I was VERY young but I do remember it.

I barely remember it first run, but I've now seen every single episode. It was on Netflix until a couple of years ago. I'm a huge Dragnet, Adam-12 and Emergency fan.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    VUPD, just because it hasn't happened to you or that's not how you react, doesn't mean it didn't happen. You can say what you want but I'm telling you he did this. I did most of what has been recommended in these replies, was as nonthreatening as possible, opened all the windows including the one in the rear which comes down, kept hands visible. Kirk's recommendation is tough for me. If someone in LE asks me a question, I try to work with them with only the necessary facts. I absolutely agree with Kirk to not get 'chummy' and **** chat.

Point of me sharing this experience is to learn if something has changed across agencies telling them how to deal with a LTHC as a threat or was it just this one guy. It did happen, exactly as I posted. You don't believe it? That's ok. Trying to defend others in your profession, I get that. But don't lead others on the board to think this never happens or that type of reaction won't raise questions.

Easy, coach.

Your post count is low, and your story is hard to swallow... we get people coming in here and trolling. From your other posts, I don't get that vibe about you, but don't take VUPD's professional skepticism personally.

If the trooper really was threatening, then perhaps a call to the ISP post is in order.

Last edited:

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    Did have one encounter with Kentucky State Police while carrying. Had a tire blow on I71 heading to Louisville while hauling a trailer full of "gently used" kitchen cabinets for my buddies kitchen remodel. I think it was someplace in the Lagrange area. We pulled off to the side to change the tire. And left our weapons in the front seats (windows down) when we started on the tire change. We were on the ground positioning the jack when KSP pulls up behind us. I don't recall if either of us explicitly said we were conceal carrying but I keep my little pink slip with my drivers license, so it did get handed over with the license.

Its funny now that I think about it. When I went to get the registration out of the truck I just reached in the window and got it from the visor while he watched. My gun was right there within reach at that point. I didn't think anything about it. And I assume the officer didn't feel concerned since my hand/arm never left his sight. He didn't seem too concerned even when I gave him permission to "look" in the truck and he saw our weapons in the seat. Of course me and my friend stayed away from the truck and eventually copped a squat on the side of the road in front of the truck as we were talking with the officer. There was some "issue" with the vehicle tag that took him about 20 minutes to get straightened out with dispatch. Something about a stolen license plate from Florida that had the same alphanumeric string that's on my Indiana veteran's tag. It's not like he needed an excuse to keep us there. And we were not going anywhere before that tire was changed.

After the officers departure we finished swapping out the tire and went on with our lives. The stop itself was uneventful. The officer was calm and professional with us. Other than the weird license plate number thing, No problems whatsoever.

I know there might be some comments about letting law enforcement search my truck without a warrant. The windows were open on all 4 doors and rear door and hatch were wide open when he pulled up. Everything was already in sight inside the Excursion. Judgement call on my part.

Class Dismissed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    West Lafayette
    Easy, coach.

Your thread count is low, and your story is hard to swallow... we get people coming in here and trolling. From your other posts, I don't get that vibe about you, but don't take VUPD's professional skepticism personally.

If the trooper really was threatening, then perhaps a call to the ISP post is in order.

Jetta,

Thanks! I truly get where VU and the others are coming from with a perceived newbie. I hardly ever post on any forum because most of what I can comment on has been said usually 30X over but this astonished me and I wanted to see if this is normal or perhaps a "new normal" based on the times, ways of training, etc., so I posted. I knew there would be those that believed, those that wouldn't, those that would . . . well, you get the point. My 'knickers' aren't in a twist and I had to laugh that Chitchat was partially turned to "**".

I am also sure stories like this are nightmares for those in the profession. I can think of stories amongst competitive shooting programs that would give me similar headaches, nightmares, or whatever. Just because they cause questions to those in the profession isn't a reason to dismiss the story. I see the trouble with it since this is a legal "event", always another side to the story. (I.e. "the wallet" thread. Holy cow :))

From what I have gathered; this wasn't normal, I should shut up and not answer the question :):, and confirmed to try and keep tensions low by not giving any surprises. It also sounds that the different agencies don't have a similar approach on differing between LTHC and non-LTHC and each officer has their own opinions.

You aren't the first to suggest calling the post but no interest in that for the moment.

sgert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2019
    Evansville
    My interactions with LEO's within Indiana have always been rather pleasant, as those types of interactions go. As far as ISP specifically, I've never been in a situation where my firearm came into question. Being respectful goes a long way, turns out mamma and papa were right.

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    I am blessed to be friends with an ISP officer, who also is a weapons instructor. He gave me plenty of real world, common sense advice on different LTCH scenarios.
    He advised me that if I was pulled over for a traffic violation: Inform the officer that I have a LTCH. He will ask me if my weapon is with me. I answer yes. Likely, he’ll tell me to sit tight.
    A few month ago I was pulled over by a county sheriffs deputy. I did exactly as my ISP friend instructed me. All of the events happened as he told me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am glad your interaction went well. I'm sure your friend has your and everyone else's best interests at heart.

However, in Indiana, I will stick with my strict: "never be the first person to bring up guns during a traffic stop" policy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am blessed to be friends with an ISP officer, who also is a weapons instructor. He gave me plenty of real world, common sense advice on different LTCH scenarios.
    He advised me that if I was pulled over for a traffic violation: Inform the officer that I have a LTCH. He will ask me if my weapon is with me. I answer yes. Likely, he’ll tell me to sit tight.
    A few month ago I was pulled over by a county sheriffs deputy. I did exactly as my ISP friend instructed me. All of the events happened as he told me.

Your friend sounds like a good guy. But since I don't know if I've been pulled over by a good guy, or officer Itchy McCoonfinger, I'll keep my mouth shut. Any firearms in my car aren't relevant to the stop.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    20 years ago I was stopped by ISP for "exceeding the posted limit" truthfully I had no idea how fast I was going, nor did I see the trooper.....
    after his request for license/registration he asked
    "anything I should know about in the vehicle?"
    yea, 2 handguns, 200 rds of ammo, mags ect in the back of my bronco, nothing loaded.
    I complied with his request to exit and place my hands on the hood.
    he checked my range bag, I stayed with my hands on the hood while he ran my Illinois tags and license. he soon returned with a writing warning and asked why I was so far from home...
    I had just shot the Indiana sectional match in gas city, and just wanted to go home. I was tired, hot and hungry.
    I was on my way within a few minutes

:cheers:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I find that a lot of people who are carrying (legally) will tell me that they're carrying on traffic stops. My response is usually along the lines of, "You leave yours alone, I'll leave mine alone."

If I haven't been told about a gun, and I see that the motorist I've stopped has a LTCH, I always ask if they're carrying when I return to the car. If they say no, then I ask why they aren't, and advise them that they should always be armed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member