• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I myself would not shoot someone over someones money now if he was a threat to myself or others that is different. Insurance will take care of the money. JMO

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Exactly this. If it was my own personal shop that would be a different story. But if i'm just a cashier at Big Box Store #36752 i'm not going to pull my weapon the company says i shouldn't have on me if the guy isn't being a threat to anyone's safety.

If you were in Michigan you could hope some permit holder in the parking lot would light them up

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If the owner of the money's policy is to let them take it, as his employee I ain't getting in a gunfight over it. (I wouldn't want to interfere with the owners property rights. If he wants to let them take his money, that's his call.)

Call the cops, they get pay+immunity to deal with theft.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Why put yourself in possible legal jeopardy over someone else's money, when your life isn't being threatened, and you have easy escape routes?

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you
    If more people took defense classes the criminal would look like he had an epileptic fit and bounced his head off the floor a few dozen times by the time the cops arrived to make a report of the slip and fall situation you called in.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Just a question, but would unloading a face-full of pepper spray be within "reasonable" limits to prevent the theft from continuing, even though no force was being used by the perpetrator?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just a question, but would unloading a face-full of pepper spray be within "reasonable" limits to prevent the theft from continuing, even though no force was being used by the perpetrator?

From IC:

With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-41-3-2 : Indiana Code - Section 35-41-3-2: Use of force to protect person or property

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Tell him you understand his dilemma and would like to help. Tell him there's more in the stock room. When he goes in there lock the door and call the PO PO, that way we can post about him in the stupid criminal thread.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I would pull out my cell phone and take pics of the guy. Call 911 and follow the guy out of the store, either get his plate number or try and get a direction he is headed.

If its my store, he is not leaving with the money.

They provide room and board at the jail.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    It sounds to me like this store needs some new policies in place. No retail establishment should have more that $100 in a cash drawer at any time, everything else should be in a drop safe that the employees don't have keys to. Also, maybe it's time to upgrade their equipment. Modern cash registers require a unique login by user before the drawer can be opened, this prevents crackheads from going behind your counters and opening up the cash drawers and helping themselves. Third, the employees should be thoroughly trained on what to do in multiple scenarios. There should be procedures in place for robberies, shoplifting, fire, weather emergencies, etc... A store owner that has not properly trained their employees is just asking for something really bad to happen and will likely be on the receiving end of a really nasty lawsuit.

As far as what you should (the employee) should do, nothing above and beyond what you have been trained to do when it comes to theft or robbery. Never put your life at risk to protect someone else's property, or your own for that matter. You can always get more stuff, as long as you're alive to do so.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    No weapon, against the rules to carry on the clock, and not my $$? Talk sternly to him and hope he stops. If he runs away, so be it.

If he draws a weapon, its game on! Otherwise, follow company policy (no matter how insane) and let him walk. paper that belongs to somebody else isnt worth it.
    I will 2nd this!

Top Bottom