• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    The wood looks okay but I wonder how durable it is compared to the chu wood used for actual Chinese guns. From PSA's photos it kinda reminds me of the wood furniture used on Century's current WASRs and other AK variants, which is about as durable as this:

ok9j27rsx9s41.jpg

The wood on my PSAK-74 is just meh. Quite soft and scratches/wears easily.

For anyone wanting one of these, I would seriously recommend waiting until generation three or later, to give PSA time to work out all the inevitable QC kinks that plague literally every one of its AK variants.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The wood looks okay but I wonder how durable it is compared to the chu wood used for actual Chinese guns. From PSA's photos it kinda reminds me of the wood furniture used on Century's current WASRs and other AK variants, which is about as durable as this:

ok9j27rsx9s41.jpg

The wood on my PSAK-74 is just meh. Quite soft and scratches/wears easily.

For anyone wanting one of these, I would seriously recommend waiting until generation three or later, to give PSA time to work out all the inevitable QC kinks that plague literally every one of its AK variants.
    Haha, I can firsthand attest to WASR wood being the chinzyist balsa wood garbage. Treat it as a placeholder for the real furniture you buy later. Paid pretty decent money for a Russian furniture set and love it.

I've only handled a PSAK with Magpul plastic, so far I can't attest to their wood.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Haha, I can firsthand attest to WASR wood being the chinzyist balsa wood garbage. Treat it as a placeholder for the real furniture you buy later. Paid pretty decent money for a Russian furniture set and love it.

I've only handled a PSAK with Magpul plastic, so far I can't attest to their wood.

The stock on my 2014 WASR-10 split in half while I was unscrewing it with a screwdriver :n00b: The core felt more like cardboard or Styrofoam than wood.

Seriously, if you threw it in a bonfire I bet it would burn as fast as paper.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    PSA begins its march to market share and releases its clone of the Norinco/Polytech/Clayco Type 56.

$1,100 MSRP.

(Still to come for this year from PSA H&R clone of its M16A1)

View attachment 227116

Still waiting on that M16A1 clone, they did release lowers though I believe.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    MAC and a few others posting vids on this. Interesting? Yes. Have to have? Probably no.
    Not all guns are for everyone. I think that goes without saying. Do I need it because I have a collection of pre-ban Chicom rifles? No, I don't. Do I think it's cool to have a beater gun that doesn't potentially damage and original? Yup. There are folks out there that always wanted one but don't have the $3k+ to buy one. Now they have an option. I don't think that's a bad thing.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Not all guns are for everyone. I think that goes without saying. Do I need it because I have a collection of pre-ban Chicom rifles? No, I don't. Do I think it's cool to have a beater gun that doesn't potentially damage and original? Yup. There are folks out there that always wanted one but don't have the $3k+ to buy one. Now they have an option. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Agreed.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana

I liked your video and thought it's great someone is bringing back classics. The only downside now is that foreign surplus cheap ammo is disappearing.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I liked your video and thought it's great someone is bringing back classics. The only downside now is that foreign surplus cheap ammo is disappearing.
    Actually, I just toured the PSA factory and they're setting up to make steel cased ammo for both 7.62 and 5.45. It will be much lower cost than other import options because they sell direct to the customer (AAC ammo brand).

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Only one way to find out for sure :):
    View attachment 228053
    That's the net result of Century Arms getting their paws on it. Once they were imported with proper laminate furniture. Instead of continuing to make such furniture, they decided to use the cheapest balsa wood like crap they could find state side. Century is all about buying things dirt cheap and hefty profit margins. It's capitalism and I'm not complaining, I'm just saying buyer be ware.

They got their hooks into the Turkish MP5 guns (AP5). I toured the factory twice a few years ago when Zenith was bringing them in. Zenith had to CONSTANTLY ride them about quality because the Turks kept cutting corners causing quality issues. When the bad guns get into the US you can't just send them back. The importer is stuck with them.

I am willing to bet Century Arms is pressuring them to cut corners like they do every other manufacturer they work with. Remember when they were $3k (more than Zenith) at first? Now they've cut that price in 1/2. Do you think Century took that off their profits? I doubt it. I won't waste my money to find out about the AP5 given what I know about the entire situation with the Turks.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Great informative video. Thank you Tim for investing your time in bringing it to us!
    Looking forward to the M16 H&R clone video whenever that one comes out.

I've owned a few of the Type 56 AK's and foolishly sold/traded them away.
    I did learn my lesson on that and now have some nice Arsenals that are forever keepers.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I have tossed one around the range a few times within the past few months, the specimen I had been presented with was just about perfect.
    fit and finish perfect, rivets and build we seen no slop, the paint on my buddies is getting a little scratched with heavy use and scratches pretty easy, like 2009 Arsenal easy which is no biggie for him.
    My only complaint and it’s the same with the M90 556 is the soft match grade like trigger. Iv’e finger banged Anshutz rifles with stiffer pull than these guys!
    Now is it $1000.00 + cool?
    Yes, if your looking for the next best clone.
    I mean ya could hack up a Mak90 ala 56.
    New users stay away unless your set on the clone. No rails or frills other than that spiker!
    This rifle was the loudest ak on the line that day but printed under 3 inches with a variety of brass and steel. The Rifle easily accepted all varieties of mags 100 series polymer - C10’s to the classic Polytec mags, no hiccups no failures of any kind, rounds flew consistently at 3-4:00.

072D3A2A-0CA8-4D3C-9027-2B23B107ED79.jpeg

Last edited:

mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    PSA begins its march to market share and releases its clone of the Norinco/Polytech/Clayco Type 56.

$1,100 MSRP.

(Still to come for this year from PSA H&R clone of its M16A1)

View attachment 227116
    The pig sticker .... would love to get one of these. This is what my MAK90 should be without all the bans in place.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom